Hotel Riviera
US$188
Travelocity
US$185
US$198
All reviewsafternoon teashortbread biscuitswhisked awayred arrowswatching the worldenglish seaside hotelsea viewspecial birthdaywonderful hotelsunday lunchcourse dinnerfirst classfluffy towelsnothing too much troublevisited this hoteldining roomwithout exception
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 July 2013

My Wife and I found this lovely hotel on the internet searching for a quality hotel in the Sidmouth Area. The town like the hotel has a fantastic regency influence but sadly few if any have maintained the original regency interiors. Most of the hotels have gone through successive transformations and re-incarnations.

The Regency hotel is perfectly situated overlooking the sea, it is immaculately clean and the quality of the furnishings, bed linen, table linen etc. is high. The interior whilst perfectly nice and high quality has a dated feel. The pink colour scheme in the dining area is too bright and dated. Likewise the bar has an 80's conservative club feel and charm about it but it is quite dark and I would have a preferred a more contemporary brighter look.

The hotel is Pricey, I paid the best part of £340 per night for bed and breakfast for 2. The breakfast is excellent but I think the per night price is on the high end and what you may expect to pay for 5*. In addition to the room rate, I paid £6 per day to park the car and paid £2 per day for newspapers, both of which for this class of hotel and for the price should be complimentary.

The hotel menu whilst looking appetising seemed again quite overpriced.

The white plastic chairs and tables at the front of the hotel paint a visual impression that is unfair to the rest of the Hotel.

The service and cleanliness of the hotel is 1st class but overall I think it appeals to a more senior customer rather than to peple under 50 and perhaps with kids.

Room Tip: choose a room overlooking the sea.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Stauntonian
Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

My wife and I have enjoyed several stays at The Riviera but our recent visit in particular was nothing less than luxury.. The hotel is located on the esplanade and the location and outlook are superb.. We particularly
enjoy relaxing on the terrace in the sun for hours on end (glass of champagne in hand) and watching the world go by.. Our room (sea facing) was immaculate, stunning outlook, beautiful furnishings and a spacious modern bathroom suite.. Very comfy bed too! Whether you wish to enjoy a coffee, bar snack, lunch on the terrace, afternoon tea or sample some of the finest cuisine in the Resturant, the hotel always seems to deliver.. We are very fond of the staff who always make a fuss of our daughter and ensure that our stay is nothing less than perfect.. Sidmouth is unspoilt which is how we hope it remains.. The Riviera in our opinion delivers a combination of charm, class and traditional english with a hint of the south of France and we will return again!

• Stayed: July 2013
4  Thank BandZandR
Reviewed 26 July 2013

This is one of the best hotels we have stayed at. First class accommodation spotlessly clean.
Staff all eager to please and very friendly as well as being professional. Food brilliant and so well served.

Room Tip: We had room 203 which was lovely with a sea view
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank CumbriaAnne
Reviewed 26 July 2013

I would not recommend this hotel since it has demonstrated the worst example of customer service I have ever experienced, in the most tragic of circumstances.

This hotel is trying to demand payment for a holiday booked at the start of the year for my mother and step-father as their last holiday together. My mum had been diagnosed with cancer in January and was given till Christmas to live. In May we realised my mother's condition was detoriorating and she wouldn't make the planned June holiday. I called the hotel to give 6 weeks notice and explain the difficult and tragic circumstances. I was given an obilque response from the hotel reception staff stating that the owner would need to look into it. On 31st May, my mum died.

Despite my assuming the matter was closed, on 15th June I received a letter explaining they would seek to reclaim the full amount of the booking if they did not re-let the room. I was shocked and upset at this: my mother couldn't go on the holiday because she was no longer alive. I had given them 6 weeks notice and they had kept the deposit. I responded asking for personal assurance from the owner, Mr Peter [--], that this was a mistake and that they would not trying to claim monies due to the tragic circumstances. I asked for assurance the matter was now closed. In addition I contact the British Hospitality to confirm this falls short of standard UK practice, which it does. In fact, their information regarding UK hotels states that customers should be able to cancel hotel rooms up to 48 hrs in advance of the booking and expect no fees and full deposit returned.

Six weeks later, after the date of the booking had passed without note, yesterday I was sent a solicitor's letter asking for £1266.67 - the amount the 4 day holiday would have cost. This holiday did not take place because my mother had already died and 6 weeks notice, along with the reasons, had been given.

The hotel has stated that it should not be expected to bear the significant loss of £1266.67. Our significant loss is a mother, wife, sister and friend. This hotel has shown contempt for our situation and is a business whose values and spirit is about money, at all costs. It is not about customer service and at it's heart it is not about fairness of moral decency.

I have asked for an apology from the hotel for their handling of this situation and to recognise their customer service standards have fallen short of what UK customers would expect, but they will not offer me one. Moreoever they threatened me that if I discuss this matter more widely they will take me to court. I do not find this a gracious manner in which to deal with a recently bereaved daughter and it has made the last few weeks incredibly upsetting.

I would urge you to choose another hotel along this stunning coastline: one which respects UK standard terms and conditions and not chose to profiteer from a family's painful and upsetting circumstances.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
38  Thank blackcat72
Hotelrivieraltd, Owner at Hotel Riviera, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2013

MANAGEMENT RESPONSE

31.07.2013

This review has not been submitted by a customer of the hotel but by an aggrieved relative who has not at any stage experienced booked with or stayed at the hotel. The review is factually incorrect and borne out of a personal grievance of the person concerned. The customers’ health issues were not communicated to the hotel despite this being specifically raised by the hotel as part of its recommendation to take out insurance.

Whilst the hotel has every sympathy for the family in these sad circumstances it has no alternative but to correct the numerous factual inaccuracies and unjustifiable bias in the review.

Only 4 weeks notice were given to the hotel of the cancellation and despite every effort the accommodation could not be re-let, resulting in significant financial loss. The stay was booked for 5 nights, not 4.

At the point of booking, as is standard practice, cancellation insurance was offered to the customers and they declined it despite the very modest premium. Had the customers taken out that insurance no loss would have arisen to the hotel. It is all the more disappointing given the customer’s health problems that they chose not to avail themselves of insurance.

The British Hospitality Association have confirmed that they were not contacted by the complainant and have had no communication nor have they provided any information or indication as alleged by the reviewer.

When the full circumstances of this matter became clear the hotel offered a full refund of the deposit paid but this was refused. The reviewer, a member of the deceased’s family, instead proceeded to demand payment of £1,500.00 in compensation for herself, failing which she would continue to pursue a media and social media campaign against the hotel with a view to damaging its reputation and trade.

The hotel cannot and will not succumb to such pressure regardless of the very sad circumstances in this matter.

Reviewed 10 July 2013

It was such a lovely sunny day we decided to have lunch outside and enjoy the beautiful view whilst we ate. The waiter made us very welcome and his service was excellent, however the food was overpriced, cold in parts and stodgy. We decided to choose from the smaller light menu and chose fish, chips and mushy peas. When it arrived the mushy peas were piping hot on top but cold underneath, the battered fish looked appetising but although crispy on the outside was very very stodgy on the inside, the chips were chunky and tasted good otherwise I would have returned the meal. The other 2 members of my party fared better than I did but agreed that for the price paid £50 + for 3 small portions this was not good value, especially as we ate at a plastic table and chairs in the open air so did not have the ambience of the normally excellent restaurant.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends