“A superb hotel”

Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Sidmouth
London, United Kingdom
“A superb hotel”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I’ve just returned from another fabulous weekend at the Hotel Riviera in Sidmouth. This hotel never ceases to amaze me. Standards never drop from the team of staff who continue to run this hotel with charm, efficiency and a helpfulness I have never found at any other hotel. I’ve been lucky to travel extensively and stayed at numerous “luxury” hotels but I have never found a hotel to compete with the something special that the Riviera has. The hotel is spotlessly clean, the rooms well appointed and thoughtfully planned and the food exceptional. The attention to detail by the management and staff shines through at every turn. I have visited Sidmouth for many years so if you’re planning a trip, stay at the Riviera, I have done the research for you! Since I first stayed at the Riviera, I haven't wanted to stay anywhere else. There’s also a barman who knows how to make an excellent Cosmopolitan!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
9 Thank Bevells

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I am running out of words of praise for this hotel and for every member of the team! We just can't keep away....and will keep visiting year after year now whenever we can. Sidmouth has now become my favourite British destination for all sorts of reasons but mainly because of this hotel and Peter Wharton's team. Every aspect of our stay was fabulous as always but I can't complete this latest review without yet again mentioning the most amazing personal service and attention to detail. It's like coming home. And as for the food....it is up there with the very best. Just go and experience all that this location, the hotel and the team offers for yourself.

Room Tip: For single travellers all of the single rooms are very well appointed and very comfortable. If you...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank misstracey24
Pewsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We visited from Wiltshire for the day and took my elderly aunt here for Sunday lunch. Quite perfect. Set meal and a la carte were delicious. Surroundings were so lovely, genteel and tasteful .Staff were attentive, fabulous service and wonderful food. My husband and I shall return for a special weekend.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank JuliaSmart
Dartmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2014

we stayed at the Riviera hotel this weekend and were met with a wonderful welcome. all staff are very professional, and the food is exceptional. The room and bathroom were spotless, and we found the whole experience out of this world. Its good old fashioned hospitality at its best and would recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: seafront rooms are a must
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lindsey t
Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

I was recently with my girlfriend for afternoon tea and I must say it was the best so far staff where very friendly and helpful and as for the scones they where great wine was exceptional shame I didn't get the name of the brand but all in all a great afternoon :)

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Andrew I
Wombourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2014

We stayed at Clevedon in Avon over Pre and New years eve. Whilst we were there we travelled down to Sidmouth for the day. We had lunch at the Riviera, where we have stayed in the past. We had lunch, which as expected to be wonderful, based on our previous experience's. Attention to detrail was faultless, the service was impeccable and not intrusive. The food was wonderful. We hope to stay theire during the new year break again either this year or next. This is truly a marvellous place to expoerience service and quality of a bygone age. A delight for any traveller.

Room Tip: A room overlooking the sea completes the experience.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Frederic J
Bradford-on-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2014

This was my first visit to Sidmouth and this hotel. The staff were really outstanding, polite with excellent attention to detail. The breakfast was delicious and enough to keep me going all day. The bedroom was large and extremely comfortable, at the front of the hotel over looking the sea. It was quiet with great views. The bathroom was immaculate, with lots of warm fluffy towels. I would recommend this hotel for a quiet and very relaxing break.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple