“sunday lunch” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Sidmouth
Taunton, United Kingdom
“sunday lunch”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

We thought we would have a trip out and decided to call in to Sidmouth and have lunch. We choose to go to the Riviera Hotel. We have been many times in the pass but not in the last year but remembered it to be a good Sunday lunch. We were very disapointed!!.The beef was of poor quality, sliced by a machine slicer giving the texture of processed meat.The food was cold and tasteless and as it was not busy we expected it to be piping hot and not luke warm!! The lunch was vastly over priced and when we complained no one wanted to listen. We paid for our lunch but will not be returning!!!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Janet E
Hotelrivieraltd, Owner at Hotel Riviera, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear Mr and Mrs E
I have read your recent review on tripadvisor and write to sincerely apologise for disappointing you on this one occasion out of your many visits to the Hotel Riviera for Sunday Luncheon.
As you will recall, once you complained to the Restaurant Manager that the Roast Sirloin of Beef was below the temperature expected, we offered to replace both meals without hesitation. Unfortunately the offer was declined.
All of our beef is reared from local farms and is supplied to us by one of the most reputable butchers in Devon after being hung for at least twenty eight days.
Once cooked the meat is always hand sliced and this practice has been adopted throughout the forty one years I have owned and managed the hotel.
On your departure Julie my Personal Assistant attempted to speak to Mr E but her advances were not well received.
I hope you will accept my apology and as a gesture of goodwill I would ask you to return to the hotel on any Sunday suitable to you (subject to availability) and receive luncheon with my compliments and I can assure you that you will not leave without being totally satisfied.

With kindest regards

Peter Wharton
Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Portsmouth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

On our first visit to Sidmouth and South Devon, we decided to try a traditional Devon Cream Tea, which we had booked the day before in glorious sunshine. Easter Sunday however was a washout, saved only by the fabulous surroundings, welcome by very friendly staff and the most amazing and impressive cream tea. Beautiful freshly made finger sandwiches, delicate warm light fruit scones, cream and jam, fresh strawberries and a collection of naughty cakes. Immaculate, clean and very comfortable surroundings.
Clad in soggy jeans and raincoats, we were made to feel very welcome by all staff and nothing was too much trouble.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Liz R
Warwick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

I needed an hotel for the night after a very busy four days travelling and two previous hotels. I came across Sidmouth. You never know with just an hotels exterior what to expect but I had high hopes the Riviera was as good inside as outside.

Having stayed in some International 5 star hotels I know luxury. Well what can I say? I arrived in jeans, somewhat scruffy & in need of a shower as the one in the last hotel I was in preferred cold water to hot. It was about 6.30pm when I dragged myself into reception and I am sure the staff hadn't seen my mode of transport.

The smiles and professional but very friendly attitude at reception was like coming home after a long time somewhere you dont want to be. I was really made welcome. Check in took only 5 minutes, I had also inquired about safe parking for my transport, my Bentley... they actually have a huge secure carpark behind the hotel at only £6.50 for the night, I was very happy.

The room, a double was / is absolutely beautiful, sumptuous luxury and a bathroom I died for. It was understated luxury. 100% clean, very comfortable bed, flat screen TV etc. The room and bathroom were immaculately clean.

I don't write reviews so the Riviera must be special for me to write this. What I paid for one night is immaterial but at twice the price ie over £200 I would have been very happy.

Breakfast ~~ like the staff and everything else at the Riviera I can only say 100% recommend it? I wish I owned it.. Enjoy your stay...

Room Tip: Having only spent one night I can say I heard no noise, not even the sea
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
9 Thank Michael L
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

I’ve just returned from another fabulous weekend at the Hotel Riviera in Sidmouth. This hotel never ceases to amaze me. Standards never drop from the team of staff who continue to run this hotel with charm, efficiency and a helpfulness I have never found at any other hotel. I’ve been lucky to travel extensively and stayed at numerous “luxury” hotels but I have never found a hotel to compete with the something special that the Riviera has. The hotel is spotlessly clean, the rooms well appointed and thoughtfully planned and the food exceptional. The attention to detail by the management and staff shines through at every turn. I have visited Sidmouth for many years so if you’re planning a trip, stay at the Riviera, I have done the research for you! Since I first stayed at the Riviera, I haven't wanted to stay anywhere else. There’s also a barman who knows how to make an excellent Cosmopolitan!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
9 Thank Bevells
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

I am running out of words of praise for this hotel and for every member of the team! We just can't keep away....and will keep visiting year after year now whenever we can. Sidmouth has now become my favourite British destination for all sorts of reasons but mainly because of this hotel and Peter Wharton's team. Every aspect of our stay was fabulous as always but I can't complete this latest review without yet again mentioning the most amazing personal service and attention to detail. It's like coming home. And as for the food....it is up there with the very best. Just go and experience all that this location, the hotel and the team offers for yourself.

Room Tip: For single travellers all of the single rooms are very well appointed and very comfortable. If you...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank misstracey24
Pewsey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

We visited from Wiltshire for the day and took my elderly aunt here for Sunday lunch. Quite perfect. Set meal and a la carte were delicious. Surroundings were so lovely, genteel and tasteful .Staff were attentive, fabulous service and wonderful food. My husband and I shall return for a special weekend.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank JuliaSmart
Dartmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

we stayed at the Riviera hotel this weekend and were met with a wonderful welcome. all staff are very professional, and the food is exceptional. The room and bathroom were spotless, and we found the whole experience out of this world. Its good old fashioned hospitality at its best and would recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: seafront rooms are a must
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple