“Stunning Toilets!”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Riviera
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Sidmouth
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Stopped here for a drink while visiting Sidmouth. Staff were very friendly and the hotel looked great inside. The title is as it says the toilets were stunning i even think they beat Harrods and thats saying something. Well worth a stop off for a visit!!

3  Thank teamy
There are newer reviews for Hotel Riviera

Reviewed 13 May 2014

My wife and I spent two nights here at The Riviera Hotel and enjoyed every minute! We received a warm welcome as soon as we entered the front terrace, our bags were taken from us and we were treated like royalty from then on. Our seaview room was extremely comfortable and well appointed and we had a huge bathroom with a separate bath and shower. The towels were big and fluffy and warmed by two heated towel rails. Everything was immaculate.

We made good use of the lounge, the bar and the restaurant and enjoyed faultless service. Coffee came with delicious biscuits, Champagne was accompanied by a generous selection of nibbles and dinner was preceded by an amuse bouche as big as a starter. Although there was an extensive 'a la carte' we found the table d'hote menu offered a good selection. The cooking was of a high standard, imaginative and well presented and the waiter service smooth and efficient.

One night, after dinner, we were joined by the owner, Mr Peter Wharton, who introduced himself, welcomed us to the hotel and asked if everything was to our liking. This personal touch was most welcome and was greatly appreciated. My wife was able to tell him what a treat it was to find 'proper' coat hangers instead of those horrid things without hooks that are so common these days.

Whilst all this pampering doesn't come cheap we thought the 2 night half-board break we had booked offered good value for money.

If we come this way again we will certainly return to the Riviera. As I've already said, It's our sort of place!

Room Tip: Seaview without a doubt. Don't worry what floor - there's a lift!
5  Thank stueyLondon
Reviewed 6 May 2014

The weather was glorious so we decided to sit outside and have a light Sunday lunch, we also had a dog so did not have the option of sitting inside. We had 2 delightful salads and wonderfully attentive service, which was a surprise, they even looked after the dog's needs!
The food was good, little pricey but wonderful location overlooking the sea and to watch the world go by with pleasant attentive service. Will come again when the sun is shining.

3  Thank V7mjb
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Oh dear, I am not sure if we ate in the same restaurant and hotel as the previous reviewers, we only a table or two away, our food was fantastic, we have eaten here for nearly 10 years, and drive over an hour for the privilege. We plan many more visits in the years to come and hope the hotel remains with the Wharton family and its high levels of customer service. It is our regular treat, time away from our busy lives to chill out and enjoy brilliant top quality food and drink.
Mr Wharton, Thomas, Christopher and the team area all outstanding, I have never met the Chef, such talent, but I can't not fault the food or service, always piping hot, fresh ingredients and super meat, the type that the local butcher provides As for the puddings, made by Thomas's fiancé! just brilliant and so full of calories. Delicious!
Well done on the upgrading of the ladies loo, every year we see new work to add to this wonderful hotel.
Keep up the great work and we look forward to seeing you all again in a few weeks
Claire & Terry x

Room Tip: Don't eat before you go, as the food is outstanding and wonderful portions and numerous courses...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Brierdene
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We thought we would have a trip out and decided to call in to Sidmouth and have lunch. We choose to go to the Riviera Hotel. We have been many times in the pass but not in the last year but remembered it to be a good Sunday lunch. We were very disapointed!!.The beef was of poor quality, sliced by a machine slicer giving the texture of processed meat.The food was cold and tasteless and as it was not busy we expected it to be piping hot and not luke warm!! The lunch was vastly over priced and when we complained no one wanted to listen. We paid for our lunch but will not be returning!!!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Janet E
Hotelrivieraltd, Owner at Hotel Riviera, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Dear Mr and Mrs E
I have read your recent review on tripadvisor and write to sincerely apologise for disappointing you on this one occasion out of your many visits to the Hotel Riviera for Sunday Luncheon.
As you will recall, once you complained to the Restaurant Manager that the Roast Sirloin of Beef was below the temperature expected, we offered to replace both meals without hesitation. Unfortunately the offer was declined.
All of our beef is reared from local farms and is supplied to us by one of the most reputable butchers in Devon after being hung for at least twenty eight days.
Once cooked the meat is always hand sliced and this practice has been adopted throughout the forty one years I have owned and managed the hotel.
On your departure Julie my Personal Assistant attempted to speak to Mr E but her advances were not well received.
I hope you will accept my apology and as a gesture of goodwill I would ask you to return to the hotel on any Sunday suitable to you (subject to availability) and receive luncheon with my compliments and I can assure you that you will not leave without being totally satisfied.

With kindest regards

Peter Wharton
Managing Director

Reviewed 20 April 2014

On our first visit to Sidmouth and South Devon, we decided to try a traditional Devon Cream Tea, which we had booked the day before in glorious sunshine. Easter Sunday however was a washout, saved only by the fabulous surroundings, welcome by very friendly staff and the most amazing and impressive cream tea. Beautiful freshly made finger sandwiches, delicate warm light fruit scones, cream and jam, fresh strawberries and a collection of naughty cakes. Immaculate, clean and very comfortable surroundings.
Clad in soggy jeans and raincoats, we were made to feel very welcome by all staff and nothing was too much trouble.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Liz R
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I needed an hotel for the night after a very busy four days travelling and two previous hotels. I came across Sidmouth. You never know with just an hotels exterior what to expect but I had high hopes the Riviera was as good inside as outside.

Having stayed in some International 5 star hotels I know luxury. Well what can I say? I arrived in jeans, somewhat scruffy & in need of a shower as the one in the last hotel I was in preferred cold water to hot. It was about 6.30pm when I dragged myself into reception and I am sure the staff hadn't seen my mode of transport.

The smiles and professional but very friendly attitude at reception was like coming home after a long time somewhere you dont want to be. I was really made welcome. Check in took only 5 minutes, I had also inquired about safe parking for my transport, my Bentley... they actually have a huge secure carpark behind the hotel at only £6.50 for the night, I was very happy.

The room, a double was / is absolutely beautiful, sumptuous luxury and a bathroom I died for. It was understated luxury. 100% clean, very comfortable bed, flat screen TV etc. The room and bathroom were immaculately clean.

I don't write reviews so the Riviera must be special for me to write this. What I paid for one night is immaterial but at twice the price ie over £200 I would have been very happy.

Breakfast ~~ like the staff and everything else at the Riviera I can only say 100% recommend it? I wish I owned it.. Enjoy your stay...

Room Tip: Having only spent one night I can say I heard no noise, not even the sea
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business