All reviews afternoon tea enjoy the sea view red arrows shortbread biscuits watching the world special birthday wonderful hotel for sunday lunch course dinner south coast first class light lunch every member of staff nothing too much trouble fluffy towels wonderful food comfortable lounge
Reviewed 13 September 2017

This is a great place to visit anytime and especially on my birthday. We had a lovely afternoon tea sitting looking out of the window across Sidmouth seafront to the sea, heaven. The staff are still exceptional. I wish all serving staff were so good, everything seems effortless and no trouble. A relaxing bit of pampering. I can't wait to return.

Date of stay: September 2017
Reviewed 30 August 2017

My wife for a long time has wanted to visit Hotel Riviera. A week in Sidmouth gave her the chance along with my birthday. Calling in to book, we were met with instant response, diary opened and our date of choice confirmed. The menu was attractive, and the 5 course special at £44 seemed a must.

We arrived over 30 minutes early for my treat, I wanted to get in the bar. Before we were seated the head waiter apologised for the missing barman, by the time we had got comfy he'd arrived and welcomed us by name. Interesting we hadn't announced ourselves, very friendly and he was a very experienced worldly travelled barman. In no time we had been called into the restaurant. Where we had window seats in a very tastefully decorated room. The waitress took our order from the menu and delivered a hand written card from the owner with special wishes for my birthday. My wife was very pleased they had picked that up at booking, though she didn't request anything special. A really very special and warm gesture.

The meal that followed was outstanding, the service continued and nothing was missed.
The pudding arrived and they had added there own special addition for me and the guests all sang "Happy birthday" it felt as though we had been long term residents, it just made the whole evening such a treat, just as my wife had thought it would be.

There is no doubt we WILL be returning.

Our thanks to ALL the staff and especially the Owner who through his personal touch has motivated his team, to such excellent heights of service.

Room tip: Didn't stay
Reviewed 29 August 2017 via mobile

This was a real gem of a place to spend a very sunny bank holiday weekend. Its nit a place we would normally stay but were invited by the parents in law

It operates with a high level of personal service which really makes the hotel special

They are a very attentive team
We had breakfast and dinner every night which again were a delight in quality and service

The hotel is decked out very traditionally but at the same time isn't frumpy
Having a shower watching the esplanade go by was quite fun

Its the only hotel in the front with a decent terrace which was great to while away many hours and take the odd cheeky lunch or cream tea

The red arrows were the icing on the cake for the weekend

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank jonworld
Reviewed 25 August 2017

This hotel is one of our favourites for morning coffee, when visiting Sidmouth. The hotel has an old style charm which you also find in the staff. A nice sunny day sitting on the patio with a sunshade, watching the world go by, drinking coffee for me, and green tea for the madam. Both served in elegant pots, so more than two cups and 2 small shortbread biscuits each.
After enjoying this for close to an hour, we approached the lunch hour, and decided we would stay on for lunch.
The lunch menu is good but I selected a prawn sandwich on granary, and my wife tuna on brown bread, both serve with salad, crisps, and coleslaw. The sandwiches are I suppose a bit expensive at £8.95 each but good value for money, fresh and tasty. Oh we also quaffed 2 half lagers for me and madam 2 pinot grigio. The staff were very attentive without being in your face, super service.
The hotel usually full of wrinklies like us, but you younger guys will also enjoy.

Room tip: Did not stay
Reviewed 9 August 2017

Having stayed at this hotel for four days - the moment of entering the Riviera Hotel you are greeted by Robert the concierge and the Reception staff. The bedroom was tastefully furnished - overlooking the seafront , spotlessly clean, a trouser press which was a nice surprise. The food was excellent and the restaurant staff were superb, from the restaurant manager to the waiters. We cannot speak too highly of this "gem". We shall certainly stay here again.

Room tip: Ask for a Seaview well worth the extra.
Date of stay: July 2017