“Generally good”

Ranked #5 of 80 Restaurants in Sidmouth
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 24 March 2013

Staff helpful and attentive. Some meals are very good, but oh dear, don't eat the chilli. It tasted of flour. Wine list good

Reviewed 9 March 2013

I have visited this pub a number of times over the last four years and have to say that the food is outstanding. The fresh crab sandwiches are bursting with meat and always on wonderfully fresh bread. Far far superior to those served at the Victoria Hotel which is arguably the finest in Sidmouth.

Reviewed 11 February 2013

The food was ridiculously boiling hot ,sadly tasteless, the steak served was of a very very poor quality even more so for the price charged. The menu is very detailed and offers great choice but food is sadly lacking. The restuarant itself was very pleasant and staff very polite and curtious, bit of background music would improve the atmosphere.

Reviewed 24 January 2013

The pub menu is more or less the same as any other pub in the UK, but the difference is that the food here was good.

There were three of us eating here: my fiancé, my eight years old cousin, and I.

The menu at the time offered four different types of Fish and Chips: the Cod Fillet, the Haddock Fillet, the Plaice Fillet, and the Whole Tail Scampi. My eight years old cousin tried the Cod Fillet. It was good and the portion was quite big (served with chipped potatoes, garden peas, and fresh salad), so it was enough to satisfy our appetites. The only thing she wasn't fond of were the garden peas, because it tasted, and was, a bit weird. As she stated: "they are big and flashy green, it's weird!" which, in her defence, is the same in every UK pub ... I guess that's one of those weird British foods.

It was her first Fish and Chips and she was really pleased with the discovery, we even got the honor of a "it delicious! (in English ... oh yeah, I forgot to mention that she's French), and she also became very fond of coleslaw.

I had the Traditional Cottage Pie: the beef was good and perfectly cooked and the stew was excellent. The only down side was that it wasn't really a pie, they served it to you on two separated butter puff pastries, which was good - don't get me wrong - but not the traditional pie I expected.

My fiancé had The Anchor Burger with a 1/2 pound of beef burger, served with smoked bacon, melted cheese, sliced tomato and lettuce, and accompanied by homemade coleslaw and chipped potatoes. The burger was excellent, the beef was tender and overall the burger was juicy and extremely satisfying.

We all tried each other's dish and agreed that everything was good.

The staff was very friendly and even thought the pub was crowded, the service was fast and good.

For a relative touristy area, and compared to the other pubs in the neighbourhood, the prices were very decent. The burger was 9.25 GBP, the Fish and Chips was 8.95 GBP and the pie was 9.75.

Reviewed 23 January 2013

We took a friend for a birthday meal and as always were made to feel most welcome by the Staff. The meal was excellent, the real ale was a treat and our friend was given a complimentary glass of Port. I think it was Tony on duty, thank you and apologies if that is incorrect. The meal was excellent value and beautifully prepared and served.