“A lovely friendly place to stay”
Review of Woodlands Hotel

Woodlands Hotel
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Sidmouth
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Have just returned from a few days at the Woodland hotel and can only echo what other reviewers have said, a lovely place to stay. Dan and Megan are super hosts, who really seem to enjoy getting to know their guests, ably helped by their daughters and Chip the dog.
The food was good, served in a pretty dinning room, we had dinner and breakfast and both were excellent. Bedrooms were clean and well appointment, comfortable beds.
Guests were served coffee after dinner in the large conservatory overlooking the gardens, which was a great meeting place for post dinner chats.
The hotel is a short walk away from the beach and the charming regency town of Sidmouth. We would thoroughly recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 17 June 2014

My mother and I, accompanied by three dogs, returned home from a four night stay at Woodlands on Sunday. I can only echo what has been said here before in that Megan and Dan really make the place by being welcoming, friendly and attentive without being intrusive. I left feeling like I had known them for years. We were very kindly given rooms which took into consideration our circumstances without even having to ask; my mother was given a ground floor room which opened out onto the garden, perfect for her with a dog and no need for her to trouble with stairs, I was given a spacious double as I had said on booking that I had two dogs and was hoping that my partner would join me on the Saturday night which he duly did (incidentally he is someone who never sleeps well in hotel rooms, but declared on Sunday morning it was the best night sleep he had had away from home). The dining room is light and airy and looks out onto the garden, breakfast was superb, gorgeous sausages and the best poached egg I think I have ever had thanks to chef Frank. Dinner in the evenings was very good quality and great value at £20 per person for three courses plus coffee. My family have been regular holiday makers in Sidmouth in various establishments for generations, it has been ten years since I have had the pleasure of staying in the dear old place, but my break at Woodlands made me want to keep my bags packed and get back down and stay at Megan and Dan's lovely hotel again as soon as possible.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank emma h
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We had two days in Sidmouth, and were delighted with the warm and friendly welcome at Woodlands. It is an attractive building nicely modernised. The bedroom was not large but fully adequate although we were troubled one night by the creaking floorboards in the landing outside our room. The restaurant is most attractive and faces onto the terrace and garden which are in the process of renovation. We had the best fish and chip dinner we have ever had; and the breakfasts were very good indeed.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We recently stayed at the Woodlands - could not have wished for a better hotel- great welcome from Dan and Megan, nothing was too much trouble for them. and the food was superb
A character hotel with a great conservatory and terrace overlooking the garden.

Beds were really comfortable and room was very spacious- we had No 4 and would highly recommend it!

Chip was lovely and we hope to come and see you all again

Room Tip: No 4 on the ground floor opening on to terrace
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2014

First time staying at The Woodlands and it was a really lovely experience. I was welcome but also my assistance dog Giuseppe and that made all the difference to my holiday being relaxing and brilliant. Megan and Dan are really lovely hosts. The hotel is clean and welcoming. The food was really lovely and they catered for my special coeliac diet. The hotel is in with easy walking distance of the sea front and the town but outside of the hustle and bustle to escape. Has a lovely conservatory area to sit in the evening and just chill. I am looking forward to my next visit.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank karen h
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I stayed at Woodlands for a week in May during International Donkey week. As a solo traveller i couldnt have been made to feel more welcome! Dan and Megan are wonderful hosts, nothing is too much trouble. A lovely character hotel that has recently been renovated, with a large relaxing conservatory with comfy sofas and a bar if you fancy a tipple! there is also a lovely patio area and garden with its own resident chickens....so fresh eggs every morning!
Chip the lovely natured family dog was always willing to be fussed if you felt so inclined!
I didnt sleep particularly well but that was because i was in a single bed and im used to a King size and a feather pillow at home, otherwise it was a clean and comfortable room, Food was great ....i look forward to returning again....hopefully soon!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Donkeys1
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Have stayed several times at The Woodlands and would like to say,after my most recent visit over the Bank Holiday, that the new owners Dan and Megan have made a terrific difference - the hotel is more welcoming, cleaner, brighter than ever before and the new beds are so comfortable! The food is fantastic as always - it was great to see Frank was still in the kitchen! Love coming down and am already looking forward to my next visit.

Pam J