“Lovely visit for all the family”

The Donkey Sanctuary
Ranked #1 of 27 things to do in Sidmouth
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed 20 August 2011

Well worth a visit to see many different types of Donkey. Free to get in and plenty of free parking. Excellent coffee shop where good food available. Staff very friendly and bursting with knowledge. Well worth a visit een if just a brief pop in one, we tend to stop on route for coffee there and have a little walk. Beautiful countryside around and Donkeys kept in excellent conditions.

There are newer reviews for The Donkey Sanctuary

Reviewed 13 August 2011

We all love donkeys and any kind of animals so this was a must. It's the 3rd time I've visited it and my daughter went when she was 18months so had no memory of it so we decided to go back with both of the children now they're older.
It's free to go in but there are donation boxes around the sanctuary and there are things going on all the time - talks, tours and so on. There are donkeys everywhere and if you love them, you'll be in your element!

Reviewed 12 August 2011

My daughter enjoyed seeing the donkeys and petting them she also enjoyed the maze. It is a very lovely location & refreshing that this place is free. You are ofcourse encouraged to give a donation. We personally didn't enjoy the food. Sorry! Although this place is well worth a visit and a donation.

Thank TallulahsTravel... S
Reviewed 25 July 2011

Lovely place to spend time
Brilliant walk down the cliffs to the beach but very steep coming back
Take a picnic as cafe not brilliant if on a budget

Reviewed 25 July 2011

I have driven past the Donkey Sanctuary numerous times but had never ventured in until last week and I am so glad I did. I decided to take my brother who was over visiting from the US. I was expecting a small place that we would walk around for an hour at most. Wow was I wrong !!

We were there for nearly 3 hours just wandering around the beautiful paddocks with the amazing array of rescued Donkeys. We were very lucky that we visited on a stunningly sunny day, I imagine that walking on grass paths in the pouring rain wouldn't be so much fun !!

The sanctuary is huge with numerous paddocks and stables that house some real characters. It also has a great maze that we got lost in and a very nice cafe and gift shop. It is very important to support these money making enterprises as there is no admission fee and it relies entirely on donations. We just popped a note in the collection box in the gift shop as we'd had a great time and felt that a donation was appropriate. However as a previous reviewer said there is no one thrusting a tin in your face, but actually they could get away with charging an entrance fee because it's worth it. I did wonder, however, just how many people visited and didn't leave a donation. Shame on them.

Because of its size it felt really tranquil and we watched lots of wild rabbits frollicking in the fields with the Donkeys. I am definately going to be visiting again with my husband, i'm just sorry I hadn't stopped before. They do an amazing job !!