“Superb for a Quiet, Inexpensive Lunch.”
Review of The Belmont Hotel

The Belmont Hotel
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Sidmouth
GreenLeadersSilver level
Bridgwater, United Kingdom
“Superb for a Quiet, Inexpensive Lunch.”
Reviewed 19 August 2012

Visited on the 14th August 2012, taking my elderly Sister there for lunch. What a lovely Hotel in a very pleasant location with excellent sea views, attentitive friendly staff aand a very reasonable, quite varied lunch menu (Difficult to spend £20.00 per head). The wine was of excellent quality and at a very reasonable price, with a good range of premium names. The dining room was quiet, comfortable, and very relaxing. I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough and can only assume the rest of the premises are run in this impecable manner. A credit to Sidmouth and ALL the staff who run it.

Room Tip: Difficult to say-it's just that good.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Bromsgrove
Reviewed 17 August 2012

We've just returned from a four night stay at the Belmont which I would say is as near perfection that you will get in a hotel. It really is not possible to find fault with anything. We paid extra for a de luxe sea view room (115) with a balcony on the first floor which had all the little touches like fresh fruit, bottled water, chocolates, bath robes and slippers and even a pair of binoculars.

The hotel was spotless with a very high standard of decor and furnishings and excellent food but where the Belmont really scores is on its impeccable standards of service. Without exception, the staff were efficient and helpful without being in any way stuffy and had obviously been well briefed to ensure that guests were there to enjoy their stay.

I have never been sure about establishments that insist on a restaurant dress code, feeling that perhaps it's a bit outdated in the 21st Century. But at the Belmont, it seemed absolutely right as the whole ambience would have been spoilt had we men appeared for dinner in jeans and a tee shirt or even an open necked shirt. In fact, it would have been unthinkable. The food was beautifully cooked and presented and the desserts came on a trolley with a mouth watering array of sweets so you could see before you chose.

Of course, it's not cheap. To maintain the level of service, you not only need high quality staff but also a lot of them and taking in this into account, I would maintain it does represent value for money. In other words, you get what you pay for.

We came with a party and the holiday was billed by the coach operator as an 'Extra Touch of Luxury,' a promise which was easily fulfilled. Unlike many hotels, we were not made to feel like second class citizens where parties often have to choose from a different menu, have to take their meals at a set time and sit together round large tables even sometimes in a different and inferior dining room. On arrival, we were welcomed on the coach by the duty manager, entertained to a welcome reception and thanked and seen off on the coach by the manager at the end of our holiday - little things which don't cost much but which Brend Hotels seem to understand are important and which go a long way.

We liked everything about the Belmont and will certainly go back on our own for a weekend break or similar at the earliest opportunity.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra - it's well worth it.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank demoncodger
BrendHotels, Area Director at The Belmont Hotel, responded to this review, 29 August 2012
Thank you for all your kind comments in your review for The Belmont Hotel. It is most pleasing to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were very happy with our standards of service, our staff members and that you would like to stay with us again in the future. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2012

I was in Sidmouth to visit friends, was travelling solo and had never used the Belmont before. The location on the Esplanade at the Connaught Gardens end of the promenade suited me and I was pleased to find that my room had sea views (Room 315), not something you can automatically expect when you request single occupancy. This was very much a single room - no luxury of a double bed here - and the room was on the top floor. It was, however, very welcoming with bottled water, fresh flowers and a triangular box of chocolate truffles to greet me. The sheets were crisp and white, and the blankets brought memories back of childhood days - no duvets here. The en suite was a let-down in that the shower was half-hearted and I need a strong jet to wake me up. But that's a minor gripe.

Generally, the hotel is quiet and maybe a little old-fashioned for some. At dinner in the restaurant, for example, gentleman are expected to wear jackets and ties but I avoided this by taking dinner in the seafront lounge bar instead. It wasn't so much the prospect of donning a jacket that concerned me, more the idea of sitting alone at a restaurant table. But I think I had the better deal because I had sea views whilst the restaurant looks out on to the hotel's well-manicured gardens to the rear.

Dinner is included in the tariff and a good job it is, too, because non-residents pay £40 for the privilege. When I scanned the menu on my first evening, I began to understand the cost and once I had eaten I fully appreciated that dinner at the Belmont needs to be viewed as the day's highlight. Dinner? It was more like a banquet! My choice of the ravioli starter was piping hot and tasty, followed by a sorbet. Then came the main event. I chose the sirloin of beef (medium) and it arrived at my table exactly as requested. Sebastien, the French waiter, served me with quiet efficiency and courtesy but his face betrayed a flicker of a smile when he spotted my reaction to the plate. I had been given four beautifully-tender slices of beef, not wafer-thin either but of a decent thickness. The tureen of roast and duchess potatoes with mixed veg was of a generous size and the vegetables were blisteringly hot; the horseradish sauce had real bite. Without doubt, the main course was one of the best I have enjoyed in a UK hotel.

Next, the pud. I chose a generous portion of hot bread-and-butter pudding with custard. There were cold sweets as well but my choice was undoubtedly the star attraction and deservedly so. After this came the coffee and chocolates, all included in the tariff. Excellent value and no wonder that many of the other guests I met were returning for the 4th, 5th and sixth time. One couple had first stayed 25 years ago and they returned every year.

Breakfast was a triumph too. The first day I selected the grilled bacon, eggs and mushrooms. Again, beautifully presented - very hot and very tasty. The Lithuanian waitress was charming and actually succeeded in passing my stringent test for hotel breakfasts. She brought my toast, as I had requested, after I had eaten the eggs and bacon, and not before. I like toast to be fresh and this was. Lesser hotels bring it to the table as soon as you sit down and it tastes like cardboard by the time you are ready to eat it. The Belmont does it right.

On the second morning I had the kippers and they too were excellent, grilled and hot.

The Brend family own the Belmont and they also own the slightly smarter Victoria Hotel next door. They have a pool and Belmont guests are allowed usage. Believe me, after meals of the quality and quantity I enjoyed during my stay, I needed that pool to swim off some of the calories!

Staying here is not cheap. Had I booked direct with the hotel, the room would have cost around £145 for dinner, bed and breakfast. However, I booked through the Brend Hotels Travel Centre and secured a £25 reduction per night by doing so.

Room Tip: Seaview rooms are extra. A good tip is to book a side room because the tariff is lower and yet there...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank DGchester
Thank you for all your kind comments. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay, especially your dining experience, and hope that we get the opportunity to welcome you back soon.
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2012

This weekend was booked as a treat for myself and my mother. We had visisted the hotel 2 years prior and vowed to return.
Its lovely, old world charm and excellent service just the sort of thing that my Mother loves and its so difficult to find today.
Super twin room, turn down service, bottled water in the room and a mini fridge available as requested.
Every staff memeber you meet smiles, and greets you and you feel as if you matter.
Restaurant is excellent and the jacket and tie rule is refreshing as for once you can dress for dinner and feel special.
We will be back

Room Tip: If not paying for a sea view - ask for one over looking the cricket pitch.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2012

I took my septuagenarian mother for a treat and she loved the place. Fantastic location on the esplanade with, if the weather is good, you can sit out but disappointing we had to go and find staff to serve us! Breakfast was superb including the staff serving. They had a dinner dance with live band which my mum loved. Eating in the hotel bar - food was very good but because of the dinner dance we felt a bit neglected. Would I come back? Yes.

• Stayed July 2012
Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Lovely hotel. Clean and comfortable.
We felt very young as most of the guests appear in their 70's and 80's.
Rules may have to change re 'jacket and tie' only at dinner as the younger generation prefer smart casual. We ate in the bar every night which was vey nice. Food was very tasty and a good choice.
Excellent location for the beach and Sidmouth town.

Room Tip: If you want a sea view you have to pay for it.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Janicedempsey
Yorkshire
Reviewed 5 July 2012

We first visited this hotel some twenty years ago. We recently stayed for three nights on a dinner/bed and breakfast basis at the hotel and were delighted to find that it still manages to retain modern expectations of a four star hotel with old-world charm and standards of service

We booked a standard room, and were allocated a delightful, large rooom with dual aspect. The side window looked out over the cricket field and the rear window over the lovely gardens. The room was very bright and clean and the furnishings were elegant, and completely in keeping with the ambience of the hotel.

Each guest is allocated their own table in the dining room for the duration of their stay. Guests do not have to book a time for dinner (as is the case in most larger hotels nowadays) but can choose to take their meal at any time during the hours in which the restaurant is open. Indeed, on the night of the England v Italy football match, the dining room was opened earlier, so that guests could complete their meals in time to watch the game. There are no buffet tables at the Belmont - all meals are served by silver service. The food is very good. There are 6 courses served at dinner but, because of the silver service, each guest is able to control the size of portions being placed on their plate.

Without exception, we found the staff to be extremely friendly and attentive without being intrusive. The staff appear to be very happy in their work, which creates a happy and relaxed atmosphere throughout the hotel.

We thoroughly enjoyed our brief stay at The Belmont and hope to return to this lovely hotel in the not too distant future.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple