We travelled to the Royal York & Faulkner as part of a coach holiday. Not in any brochure or advertisement for this hotel did it mention not being suitable for people with walking difficulties. We did mention when booking that I was disabled and would like a low floor near the lift and maybe a sea view. We were on the second floor, granted, we were next to the lift which could only accomodate the chair with the carer squeezed in at the side, then the fun came trying to press the button, but our sea view consisted of the roof tops of other properties and a noisy seagull nest, and the only air conditioning for midsummers night was open the window.(Seagulls do wake up at an unearthly hour). I got the impression that the coach tourists were treated like 2nd class citizens, ie; separate dining room and no sea view. To get to the dining area I had to negotiate 3 steps whilst my husband carried my wheelchair. Fortunately I do have use of my legs, even if limited. The best bit was, 3 sets of doors to negotiate, I was able to push the doors open with my feet then with legs akimbo I could hold them open whilst my husband wheeled the chair through. The only problem came with access to the bar, FIRE DOORS that opened inwards and were partially blocked by a chair. My husband moved this chair on three occasions only to find it back in its original position until we had words with the manager. .
On a positive note, the staff were excellent although very busy at all times. We were given assistance when they saw us. The meals were excellent with quite a lot of choice for Breakfast and Dinner
The suggestion I have is, that in brochures for this hotel it should be mentioned not suitable for guests with wheelchairs or limited mobility
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This magnificent Regency hotel enjoys an unrivaled position at the centre of Sidmouth’s elegant Esplanade, overlooking the sea and adjacent to the picturesque town centre. Owned and personally run by the Hook family, resident proprietors for three generations, the hotel has a long standing reputation for hospitality and service. The property, having undergone expensive though careful refurbishment, is beautifully appointed with all amenities, excellent facilities and a stunning new spa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Royal York & Faulkner Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal York And Faulkner Hotel
- Royal York & Faulkner Hotel Sidmouth, Devon