Royal York & Faulkner Hotel
US$162
  • Restaurant
Hotel Elizabeth(Sidmouth)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsyork suiteafternoon teasea viewsea frontcoach partybowls tourcoach holidaysound of the wavescourse dinnerthird floorrelaxing breakolder clienteleexcellent foodwatching the worldold fashionedsilver servicestep back in time
Reviewed 1 July 2013

An old fashioned hotel with modern facilities. The clock seemed to have stopped in about 1956 in Sidmouth and hotel tries to keep to the 1956 standards. My room was modern with every amenity you would expect, including air conditioning. It’s star rating is only 2 but it is better than many 3 star that I have stayed in. The hotel restaurant is well staffed with very friendly staff. Service is superb almost silver service. Breakfast is not served until 8.15 but this seems to suit most of the guests, you will not see any workmen staying here. They cater well for coach parties of the more up market type.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Smartmart1958
Reviewed 23 June 2013

We travelled to the Royal York & Faulkner as part of a coach holiday. Not in any brochure or advertisement for this hotel did it mention not being suitable for people with walking difficulties. We did mention when booking that I was disabled and would like a low floor near the lift and maybe a sea view. We were on the second floor, granted, we were next to the lift which could only accomodate the chair with the carer squeezed in at the side, then the fun came trying to press the button, but our sea view consisted of the roof tops of other properties and a noisy seagull nest, and the only air conditioning for midsummers night was open the window.(Seagulls do wake up at an unearthly hour). I got the impression that the coach tourists were treated like 2nd class citizens, ie; separate dining room and no sea view. To get to the dining area I had to negotiate 3 steps whilst my husband carried my wheelchair. Fortunately I do have use of my legs, even if limited. The best bit was, 3 sets of doors to negotiate, I was able to push the doors open with my feet then with legs akimbo I could hold them open whilst my husband wheeled the chair through. The only problem came with access to the bar, FIRE DOORS that opened inwards and were partially blocked by a chair. My husband moved this chair on three occasions only to find it back in its original position until we had words with the manager. .
On a positive note, the staff were excellent although very busy at all times. We were given assistance when they saw us. The meals were excellent with quite a lot of choice for Breakfast and Dinner
The suggestion I have is, that in brochures for this hotel it should be mentioned not suitable for guests with wheelchairs or limited mobility

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SunseekerYork
ryfadmin, Owner at Royal York & Faulkner Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2013

We were very sorry to read of the difficulties you experienced during your recent stay. I assure you that it is certainly not our intention to mislead anyone regarding accessibility. The hotel, built in 1810 and Grade II listed, regrettably presents various obstacles such as steps, narrow door-ways, fire doors etc. Whilst we accommodate many guests with limited mobility, we regret that the building is not suitable for wheelchair users.

This is clearly explained to anyone booking directly with the hotel and stated in our tariff with further and specific detail contained in our Access Statement. I can only apologise that this was not adequately conveyed by the operator that you booked with. I will ensure that they are better informed in future and once again apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Reviewed 20 June 2013

Our 4th stay at this hotel which speaks volumes. As mentioned by other reviewers, the clientele is elderly but then Sidmouth is not a young persons choice. The hotel is clean and comfortable. The great attraction is the superb food and service. Four course evening meal with 3 choices served by friendly and efficient staff. Exactly the same cosseted service at breakfast. The cost even includes afternoon tea and cakes. It is an old building so creaky floors and winding corridors but the rooms are clean and tidy. We had a double sea view with en-suite shower on the third floor. Wonderful to wake up to the sound of the surf just yards from the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Daves39
Reviewed 2 June 2013

We chose this hotel 'on spec' from an Internet search as somewhere to go for the bank holiday weekend (May 2013), choosing the York Suite in particular because of the additional facilities. It turned out to be one of the best hotels we have stayed in for a long time.

The staff were welcoming - we even had a phone call whilst on our way there to tell us that we would miss dinner if we didn't get there soon! Service was well above the 2 star rating, restaurant staff were efficient and cheerful, reception was well organised, and our suite was cleaned to a high standard before we had even returned from breakfast. The public rooms were well presented and comfortable with all the facilities you could expect.

The hotel has obviously been part renovated since some of the previous reviews. Yes, the bathroom is on the small size - but when you are on holiday, how long do you want to spend in there? The bed (2 singles pushed together) was comfortable... but it was huge! I had to go in search for my wife.

The sitting room was excellent. Comfortable settees, useful kitchen facilities, and a private balcony overlooking the sea.

A quiet hideaway at a reasonable price - somewhere we will be returning to.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Wandering_Woolly
Reviewed 12 May 2013 via mobile

We stayed here over the bank holiday weekend and had a wonderful time. The hotel is in a brilliant location, right on the sea front. We had a stunning sea view through the huge sash windows in our room and it was lovely falling asleep to the sound of the waves.

We were probably the youngest couple there by about 40 years - but hats off to the elderly ladies and gents as they obviously know what they're doing by staying here! It's a clean, comfortable hotel with a lot of old fashioned charm.

Our room was 220 - sea view but no en suite bathroom. This genuinely didn't matter as you have your own private bathroom just across the corridor opposite the room, in a very quiet wing of the hotel. The lack of en suite bathroom is reflected in the price, but considering it wasn't an inconvenience, we felt it made this room very good value.

• Stayed: May 2013