“Good holiday with friends”
Review of Bay Norbreck Hotel

Bay Norbreck Hotel
Ranked #19 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed 2 June 2012

Had a very enjoyable holiday with our friends. The hotel was very good, in a excellent position overlooking two bays. Had a lovely view from our bedroom. The room was quite small but adequate and very clean. The staff were very helpful and friendly. The food was good with a varied menu. We enjoyed the entertainment and having free drinks was a bonus. Overall we had an enjoyable holiday. The only thing that spoilt it was the weather it was terrible. Still better luck next time. Would certainly visit again.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor with sea views.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Ann J
Louise M, General Manager at Bay Norbreck Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2012

Thank you Ann J for your lovely review. We are extremely lucky to have the position we do, at the top of the cliff over looking both North & South Bays, We are the only hotel in Scarbrough who can boast about it! It was a shame the weather wasn’t better for you, that’s one thing you can’t rely on, the great British Weather!! Hopefully your next visit will be full of sunshine too. I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 20 May 2012

My wife and I took a 5 day inclusive trip with Shearings-- Bedrooms fine,restaurant fine,staff surly and the "welcome" was atrocious. We arrived early (NOT our fault--down to the coach driver) and were told in no uncertain terms that we were too early and rooms would not be ready for approx an hour.We were shown to the bar to fill in our registration cards and many people asked for a tea or coffee or alcohol drink only to be commanded that the bar was closed in EARLY AFTERNOON--can any business really afford to turn down paying customers?? we were told to go the town if we wanted a drink!!
I am sorry to say this "welcome" spoiled the holiday for us and many of our coach also,we overheard people saying they would NOT book with Shearings ever again if this is their idea of customer service.

We stayed late last year but have felt unable to review this hotel until now in case I went too far and had Shearings trying to sue me--believe me I wish I could review it better.I do prefer to leave positive reviews (see our holiday in Portpatrick).

Room Tip: Pay extra for sea view/superior room and do NOT arrive early!!!
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Simon R
Louise M, General Manager at Bay Norbreck Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2012

Thank you for your review Simon R. I have taken over as the General Manger now and having worked for Shearings for many years I am very sorry to hear this was the welcome you received in November, I can assure you that our bar is now open from 10am daily and any guests arriving early are welcome to take advantage of the facilities including our tempting range of lunch time snacks. As you can see from Overcomer1’s review, we have a friendly group of staff always willing to help. It was good to see that this experience hasn’t put you off holidaying with Shearings as I saw your review for our Portpatrick Hotel, I’m glad you had a ‘proper Scottish holiday’! I look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future.

Reviewed 17 May 2012

Both my wife and I spent an enjoyable couple of days at the hotel to celebrate my 50th Birthday. The staff were very friendly, food and accommodation was good. Entertainment at night was a bonus.Would have like free Wi-fi internet access but I suppose you can't have everything. Would certainly recommed a visit.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Overcomer1

Thank you Overcomer1 it’s so nice to hear you and your husband enjoyed your birthday break with us. I hope the staff and the entertainments team made it a birthday to remember! I agree, that with modern technology being so advanced now, we are having more and more guests request WiFi and will seriously consider getting it installed. I look forward to seeing you back soon!

Reviewed 9 May 2012

my partner and i have just spent a night here through National holidays,and it was, for what we paid worth every penny,it was clean warm and the staff were very friendly and helpful...was'nt too keen on the main course with the evening meal,but everyone to there own :)

Room Tip: just ask for a sea view
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Dorothy H
Louise M, General Manager at Bay Norbreck Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2012

Hi Dorothy H, great to hear you enjoyed your night away! The staff are always keen to be friendly and helpful to all our guests so it’s good to see they made an impression on you. You’ll have to try one of our other breaks as we have different menus every night so you’re bound to find something to your taste. Look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 28 April 2012 via mobile

hi i am writing to inform everyone that this hotel service is less than acceptable i found staff to be extremely rude. The manor in which they deal with situations is completly unprofessional and slack. I was horrified with the attitude they came across with and would certainly never use this place again. It completly ruined our holiday and i think it is utterly disgracful that one hotel can cause this much of an issue. I hope that this does not continue to be case but rest assured they will not have my custom again.

• Stayed: April 2012
7  Thank AndreaScott19

In complying with Licensing Law these guests were refused service on the grounds that they showed signs of heavy intoxication when they came in from Town. They acted aggressively towards staff and a caused disturbance among the other guests. The local police backed up the hotel in our handling of the guests. All staff acted professionally at all times.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

i,ve just returned from a short stay at the norbrek .the room was very clean and warm,also quite spacious.there was a good choice of food for the evening meal and also breakfast.the staff were all very helpful.and would recommend this hotel .it is a bit of a walk to the shops, not that far for able bodied folk

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank barbara_miglentsis2

Thank you for you review Barbara, the housekeeping staff do a tremendous job keeping the place clean and chef always likes to hear his food has been praised in a review. I find it a pleasant walk down to the shops, but with taxi’s being only £4.50 do treat myself on occasions to one back up the hill! I look forward to welcoming you back, and all of the friends you recommend us to!!

Reviewed 15 April 2012

Stayed here for one night, hotel is ok, nothing flash and maybe just in need of a bit of an update. The hotel is based right at the top of a cliff and by George is it windy! Well windy is an understatement its full blown gales, so its not just the views that will take your breath away! Nightly entertainment is typical hotel standards. Food was bearable, breakfast seemed to be a rush and serving staff didn't want to be sociable, just wanting you in and out quickly! Beds appear to be a bit on the old side.
Opted for a room with a seaview which guarantees you the sea breeze as well.
Just have to mention Craig the fella that serves behind the bar, friendly, outgoing and appears to be popular with all customers no matter what ages.
If you are stopping here give the Albion pub a try which is right next to the hotel, warm and friendly and bar food is good, plus it won't take you long to get back either.
In short hotel isn't that bad just don't expect too much.

• Stayed: April 2012
4  Thank crookycrumble

Well Crookycrumble, you hit the nail on the head with the gales, we do get a bit of a breeze up here on the cliff top but the views more than make up for it!! Sorry you felt rushed at breakfast, with so many wanting to get out for day trips, for our guests a swift service is usually more agreeable, and I know the restaurant would staff love to stop for a chat if they could! Craig is a shining star and was thrilled to see you mentioned him. Your comments have been noted, we do have some areas that need updating, and will be very helpful as we build a refurbishment plan for the hotel. We hope to see you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Scarborough
Bay New Southlands Hotel
Ambassador Hotel
Ambassador Hotel
#22 of 26 in Scarborough
Bay Royal Whitby Hotel

Been to Bay Norbreck Hotel? Share your experiences!