“Don't go there”
Review of Bay Norbreck Hotel

Bay Norbreck Hotel
Ranked #19 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed 18 June 2012

We normally go to the Royal Hotel in Whitby but thought we would have a change. Big mistake. This hotel needs some serious updating. The food was dreadful. Cold and tasteless. Other guests in the dining room were also unhappy with the food and service. The wine waiter did not ask us if we required drinks until we were ready to leave the dining room. The breakfast was equally as bad as the evening meal. The room was small and the bathroom had a plumbing problem. We paid for a sea view but i dread to think what the other rooms were like. I would never recommend this Shearings hotel. It's back to the Royal hotel next time we book with Shearings.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank jacqualine s
Management response:Responded 26 June 2012

Thank you for your feedback Jacqualine S. Again I am disappointed to learn you did not enjoy your break with us. As I explained after Dave J’s comments, we had relief chef’s working that week who did not live up to expectations. I have discussed you comments with the departments and we apologise that our service did not meet your expectations.
Due to the history of the building, our rooms aren’t huge but we do try and keep them in working order for our guests, our maintenance team deal with any faults reported to us promptly and we plan to carry out more room refurbishments next year. I do hope you enjoy your return trip to our Royal Hotel at Whitby and that this experience has not put you off trying other hotels in the group.

There are newer reviews for Bay Norbreck Hotel

Reviewed 16 June 2012

Got back from 7 night break on 9th June.Let me say we have holidayed with Shearings many many times both in the UK and abroad, this was our 3rd trip this year so far. Dont understand comments of excellent food, Shepherds pie was rank. When asked about this the Manager said well we gave him a recipe to follow. Hotel had 3 chefs in a week, maybe ok to heat up and serve if you were lucky but not to actually make a dish from fresh ingredients. most food was at best warm, soups were not hot. Had Pate one night came with salad leaves no bread or toast offered Had Scampi another day, it was cold some of us had a Lemon slice others did not, when asked if we could have a slice of lemon, we were told no lemon till tomorrow now. We got lemon in our drink later the same night in the Bar.
Restaurant staff struggle to understand English so always hope you get what you order, but does not always work out like that.Toast was interesting in the mornings were given a 6 piece toast rack every day only had 4 halves of toast in it why? never happens at other Shearings hotels. 3 of our party of 4 were ill for several days with the vomiting and sickness bug. I understand 20 plus customers that week had the same, No notices to inform customers of sickness in hotel were dispalyed, indeed when asked about this we were told its not Shearing policy to put up a notice to inform customers they should take extra precautions to protect themselves from any sickness bug. Room cleaning was a joke, our room was not vacumed at all whilst we were there neither were the public areas, dusting was unheard of. I know as I spent 3 days stuck in my room and the cleaners visit was if lucky 3-4 minutes.. Bar was an interesting set up. No one ever available to serve.Never had the wine we wanted.All in all probably the worst experience and service we have encountered in all our years of Shearings holidays

Room Tip: go for a sea view fantastic
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
7  Thank Dave J
Louise M, General Manager at Bay Norbreck Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2012

I’m really sorry to hear your disappointment in the break you have just had at the hotel. Although I was made aware of a couple of the issues you had during your stay I did not know all that you have listed here. I can only apologise that the food didn’t meet your expectations I can assure you this was an unusual occurrence as I was relying on relief chefs.for a few days
I do not know of any instances when the restaurant staff had misplaced guests orders, all the staff have worked at the hotel successfully for quite a while now however I have reviewed your comments with the staff
It was unfortunate that around 9 guests were ill over the course of the week which can happen occasionally but we do implement a strict and effective sanitising schedule at such times which we do with discretion. As you may have noticed, the reception, bar and public toilets were supplied with hand gels and antibacterial soaps. Public area are sprayed at regular intervals with virucidal spray. I can assure you that the public areas are vacuumed and dusted daily which is carried out during the night.
The bar is manned from 5pm with Reception staff serving during the day from 10am. Our wines are well stocked with alternatives available if we are unable to supply

Reviewed 10 June 2012

Just returned from a 5 day break at the Norbreck with Shearings.The hotel looks a little tired ,but its position facing the sea would lend to this.The service from the staff was first class. The entertainment was excellent ,the hosts Daniel ,Jason and Dave Davis entertained all night and made each guest feel special.Restaurant and food good especially the Gala dinner.Overall a good holiday break with included trips to York and Filey.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Kenneth F
Louise M, General Manager at Bay Norbreck Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2012

Hi Kenneth F, it’s great to hear you enjoyed your break with us. I have passed your comments onto our staff and they are very proud to know you found their service 1st class, they do always try their hardest. Our entertainments team put on some excellent shows during the week, with a little Royal twist, to help celebrate the Queens Jubilee. Chef was pleased you enjoyed the food, and I have to agree, the Gala dinner was something special. Thank you for your lovely comments, we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 2 June 2012

Had a very enjoyable holiday with our friends. The hotel was very good, in a excellent position overlooking two bays. Had a lovely view from our bedroom. The room was quite small but adequate and very clean. The staff were very helpful and friendly. The food was good with a varied menu. We enjoyed the entertainment and having free drinks was a bonus. Overall we had an enjoyable holiday. The only thing that spoilt it was the weather it was terrible. Still better luck next time. Would certainly visit again.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor with sea views.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Ann J
Louise M, General Manager at Bay Norbreck Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2012

Thank you Ann J for your lovely review. We are extremely lucky to have the position we do, at the top of the cliff over looking both North & South Bays, We are the only hotel in Scarbrough who can boast about it! It was a shame the weather wasn’t better for you, that’s one thing you can’t rely on, the great British Weather!! Hopefully your next visit will be full of sunshine too. I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 20 May 2012

My wife and I took a 5 day inclusive trip with Shearings-- Bedrooms fine,restaurant fine,staff surly and the "welcome" was atrocious. We arrived early (NOT our fault--down to the coach driver) and were told in no uncertain terms that we were too early and rooms would not be ready for approx an hour.We were shown to the bar to fill in our registration cards and many people asked for a tea or coffee or alcohol drink only to be commanded that the bar was closed in EARLY AFTERNOON--can any business really afford to turn down paying customers?? we were told to go the town if we wanted a drink!!
I am sorry to say this "welcome" spoiled the holiday for us and many of our coach also,we overheard people saying they would NOT book with Shearings ever again if this is their idea of customer service.

We stayed late last year but have felt unable to review this hotel until now in case I went too far and had Shearings trying to sue me--believe me I wish I could review it better.I do prefer to leave positive reviews (see our holiday in Portpatrick).

Room Tip: Pay extra for sea view/superior room and do NOT arrive early!!!
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Simon R
Louise M, General Manager at Bay Norbreck Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2012

Thank you for your review Simon R. I have taken over as the General Manger now and having worked for Shearings for many years I am very sorry to hear this was the welcome you received in November, I can assure you that our bar is now open from 10am daily and any guests arriving early are welcome to take advantage of the facilities including our tempting range of lunch time snacks. As you can see from Overcomer1’s review, we have a friendly group of staff always willing to help. It was good to see that this experience hasn’t put you off holidaying with Shearings as I saw your review for our Portpatrick Hotel, I’m glad you had a ‘proper Scottish holiday’! I look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future.

Reviewed 17 May 2012

Both my wife and I spent an enjoyable couple of days at the hotel to celebrate my 50th Birthday. The staff were very friendly, food and accommodation was good. Entertainment at night was a bonus.Would have like free Wi-fi internet access but I suppose you can't have everything. Would certainly recommed a visit.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Overcomer1

Thank you Overcomer1 it’s so nice to hear you and your husband enjoyed your birthday break with us. I hope the staff and the entertainments team made it a birthday to remember! I agree, that with modern technology being so advanced now, we are having more and more guests request WiFi and will seriously consider getting it installed. I look forward to seeing you back soon!

Reviewed 9 May 2012

my partner and i have just spent a night here through National holidays,and it was, for what we paid worth every penny,it was clean warm and the staff were very friendly and helpful...was'nt too keen on the main course with the evening meal,but everyone to there own :)

Room Tip: just ask for a sea view
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Dorothy H
Louise M, General Manager at Bay Norbreck Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2012

Hi Dorothy H, great to hear you enjoyed your night away! The staff are always keen to be friendly and helpful to all our guests so it’s good to see they made an impression on you. You’ll have to try one of our other breaks as we have different menus every night so you’re bound to find something to your taste. Look forward to seeing you again soon.