“Unhappy visitor” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Stafford
“Unhappy visitor”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2012

Excellent staff, fair food but hotel very tired and a bit grubby, not quite as clean as I would have hoped for. Thumbs down for Shearings asking for a single supplement for a room you could barely swing a cat in. Poor attitude from Customers Services and I wouldn't use them again. In fact but for the care and help from the staff I think the hotel would have been closed down.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
17 Thank Wootton4
Louise M, General Manager at Bay Norbreck Hotel, responded to this review, 6 September 2012
Thank you for your comments. It is good to know our staff made the holiday for you, we do have an excellent team always willing to do their best to help our customers. The hotel is planned for some refurbishment this October. Our housekeeper was disappointed to learn that you did not find the standards of cleanliness as you would have hoped for and has addressed this with his Team.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Halifax, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2012

Hi

beautiful view, nothing else beautiful I am waiting for a call back I fell over the carpet that was lifted in the bathroom door, breakfast was awful must be using value food, we paid
£34.50 and Premier Inn only charge £7.95. My husband is a soldier he would normally eat anything it was dreadful cant say anymore!!!! I have got pictures of the dirty toilet dreadful

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Jaynie B
Thank you for your comments. I have reviewed the report of your dissatisfaction that you gave at the hotel and can see my colleague refunded you an amount of £34.50 as a gesture of good will after you were unhappy with the breakfast served and the reports you made about your room. The accident you sustained has been recorded and the carpet fixed.

Travellers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012

Hotel location is great, with a fantastic view over North bay-worth paying extra for sea view room. Dining room fine, service good. Food was good quality, wide choice at breakfast with fresh fruit available. I really enjoyed my relaxing stay, and as I went with Shearings, this hotel proved an excellent base for our excursions. I would recommend this hotel to travellers.

Room Tip: Choose 3rd floor sea view room
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Patricia A
Louise M, General Manager at Bay Norbreck Hotel, responded to this review, 16 August 2012
Thank you for your review Patricia. It’s lovely to hear you enjoyed your stay. The views from the supplement bedrooms are extraordinary, especially on a sunny day! All of the hotel staff were very pleased to read that you would recommend us. I hope you enjoy many more relaxing holidays with us.
Motherwe
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2012

On a positive note the Hotel location is fantastic, our room had a great view over the North Bay. Sadly thats the only good thing I can say about this hotel, from the outside the Norbreck looks tired but thats nothing compared to the rooms, the bed was really uncomfortable and low, the furniture was old and drab and needs modernising. The food was terrible many residents compared it to school dinners however I can't remember school dinners being as bad as this. You only get one chance to make a first impression so if Shearings think this is an acceptable standard. Never Again!!!

Room Tip: Don't go to this Hotel
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Brian G
Thank you for your review Brian. The age and location of the building has led to the outside starting to look tired and this is something we hope to rectify later this year. We also plan to do some room refurbishments in October. I am still working very closely with Chef to rectify any disappointment with our food and can only apologise that this effected your break
Wakefield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2012

Further to my stay last year, I can now no longer recommend this hotel.

Meals were very poor (for example, chef's special was cottage pie i.e. reheated leftovers)

Antiquated TV set with no subtitles.

No more free evening drinks

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
17 Thank Graham B
Thank you for your review Graham, I’m sorry you did not enjoy your break as you had last year. I can assure you that the cottage pie made with fresh ingredients. As we upgrade our bedrooms we also upgrade to TV’s which are able to accept subtitle usage, although these are not available at present. We do still offer a drinks package for travelers in the winter and spring months and have a half board basis during the rest of the year. I hope this experience does not put you off travelling with us again.
Coventry, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2012

our room was small,although the view was good, the hotel needs modernising it has a general feel of being dated.The menu in the restaurant lacks imagination and the food was of a poor quality and tasteless. The service in the restaurant was appaling. we often had a half hour wait to be served. When we complained to the hotel manageress she simply wasnt interested. the resort itself is very hilly although pleasant, the sea gulls are very noisy - to sum up a pleasant location but a truly awful hotel manned by staff with little manners that offer terrible service

Room Tip: my advice do not stay in any room
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank mike y
Thank you for your review Mike. I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay, we do take care to address our customer’s complaints at the hotel fully and I’m sorry you were unhappy with the efforts made. Please be assured that these comments have not been overlooked
Onchan, Isle Of Man
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

The room we stayed in, at the Norbreck, was clean and had lovely sea views. The entertainment was very good and the bar staff were good too.
Unfortunately, the food was awful and the general appearance of the hotel gave the feeling it had seen better days. Money needs spending on it.
The dining room had at least one large crack in the ceiling, that looked as though it may fall at any time. The lounge toilets were dirty and some of the lounge chairs smelt of urine.
On the good side, the Shearings four night tour and choice of day trips were very good and our coach driver was excellent.
I would take another Shearings holiday but not at this hotel.

Room Tip: The sea facing rooms have excellent views but think before you book!!!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
10 Thank Sheila-Cl
Thank you for your review Sheila. I have passed on your comments to my team in our bar, entertainments’ and housekeeping who's, staff were very pleased. I am working closely our with new chef to address comments made by customers who have not enjoyed the food served. I have visited the public restrooms, these are cleaned a minimum of twice daily but their age is showing signs of wear which could be mistaken for dirt. I do hope you enjoy future holidays with Shearings.