“Looking forward to a return visit”
Review of Bay Norbreck Hotel

Bay Norbreck Hotel
Ranked #18 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed 22 August 2012

I would just like to say how much my wife and I enjoyed our stay in your fabulous hotel. We came down last week from Durham for 4 nights for our honeymoon. We cannot fault anything during our stay. The food was great, portion sizes were just right, the room was very comfortable and the view of the North Bay was simply breathtaking. We found the entertainment good, we think that Daniel was a great host. Last but by no means least, we must mention your wonderful staff, who were always pleasant and polite, and a special mention we feel should be made to Julie, who was very helpful to us during our stay and even came out to see us off! Thanks for making this a honeymoon to remember and we will of course return someday soon!

6  Thank Neil R
Louise M, General Manager at Bay Norbreck Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2012

Hi Neil (& Mrs R). We are all so glad you enjoyed your honeymoon at the hotel. Speaking to some of our older guests, they enjoyed honeymoons here 50 years ago and often come back to celebrate anniversaries, so you are in a long line of newlyweds who we have looked after! The staff want to send their thanks for the comments you have put for them as has Daniel our Entertainment’s Host. We wish you many happy years of marriage together and do hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 19 August 2012

For 18 years I have been travelling with Shearings but this place is a joke. Yes the view is stunning but thats all it has. Bed was shocking, spring poking through, all they did was turn the mattress over, dust and dirty tissues under bed when it was moved, base was filthy. The driver on coach new nothing of Yorkshire, and was very cocky. Dining room was so hot,not even a fan. They had the door open so we froze sat by it. Everyone moaned when we asked to close it because they were so hot, hardly has any windows to open.Bedroom was the same, pokey, stuffy, and noise from entertainment because they have to have the door open there too. Bathroom mouldy wall and blind you could smell it, breakfast was ok but dinner rubbish, one of the kitchen workers was outside all the time smoking, food was cold. We had meals out a lot.

Room Tip: Room awful, stuffy, unclean.
7  Thank janice g
Louise M, General Manager at Bay Norbreck Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2012

Thank you for your review. I am disappointed to learn you did not enjoy your stay with us. We do endeavor to correct any issues raised by our guests during their stay to help their enjoyment and can only apologise that issues you reported were not rectified to your satisfaction. All of your comment have been noted and we shall look at ways to improve these issues for our future customers.

Reviewed 17 August 2012

Excellent staff, fair food but hotel very tired and a bit grubby, not quite as clean as I would have hoped for. Thumbs down for Shearings asking for a single supplement for a room you could barely swing a cat in. Poor attitude from Customers Services and I wouldn't use them again. In fact but for the care and help from the staff I think the hotel would have been closed down.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
17  Thank Wootton4

Thank you for your comments. It is good to know our staff made the holiday for you, we do have an excellent team always willing to do their best to help our customers. The hotel is planned for some refurbishment this October. Our housekeeper was disappointed to learn that you did not find the standards of cleanliness as you would have hoped for and has addressed this with his Team.

Reviewed 16 August 2012

Hi

beautiful view, nothing else beautiful I am waiting for a call back I fell over the carpet that was lifted in the bathroom door, breakfast was awful must be using value food, we paid
£34.50 and Premier Inn only charge £7.95. My husband is a soldier he would normally eat anything it was dreadful cant say anymore!!!! I have got pictures of the dirty toilet dreadful

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Jaynie B

Thank you for your comments. I have reviewed the report of your dissatisfaction that you gave at the hotel and can see my colleague refunded you an amount of £34.50 as a gesture of good will after you were unhappy with the breakfast served and the reports you made about your room. The accident you sustained has been recorded and the carpet fixed.

Reviewed 13 August 2012

Hotel location is great, with a fantastic view over North bay-worth paying extra for sea view room. Dining room fine, service good. Food was good quality, wide choice at breakfast with fresh fruit available. I really enjoyed my relaxing stay, and as I went with Shearings, this hotel proved an excellent base for our excursions. I would recommend this hotel to travellers.

Room Tip: Choose 3rd floor sea view room
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Patricia A
Louise M, General Manager at Bay Norbreck Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2012

Thank you for your review Patricia. It’s lovely to hear you enjoyed your stay. The views from the supplement bedrooms are extraordinary, especially on a sunny day! All of the hotel staff were very pleased to read that you would recommend us. I hope you enjoy many more relaxing holidays with us.

Reviewed 11 August 2012

On a positive note the Hotel location is fantastic, our room had a great view over the North Bay. Sadly thats the only good thing I can say about this hotel, from the outside the Norbreck looks tired but thats nothing compared to the rooms, the bed was really uncomfortable and low, the furniture was old and drab and needs modernising. The food was terrible many residents compared it to school dinners however I can't remember school dinners being as bad as this. You only get one chance to make a first impression so if Shearings think this is an acceptable standard. Never Again!!!

Room Tip: Don't go to this Hotel
8  Thank Brian G

Thank you for your review Brian. The age and location of the building has led to the outside starting to look tired and this is something we hope to rectify later this year. We also plan to do some room refurbishments in October. I am still working very closely with Chef to rectify any disappointment with our food and can only apologise that this effected your break

Reviewed 10 August 2012

Further to my stay last year, I can now no longer recommend this hotel.

Meals were very poor (for example, chef's special was cottage pie i.e. reheated leftovers)

Antiquated TV set with no subtitles.

No more free evening drinks

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
17  Thank Graham B

Thank you for your review Graham, I’m sorry you did not enjoy your break as you had last year. I can assure you that the cottage pie made with fresh ingredients. As we upgrade our bedrooms we also upgrade to TV’s which are able to accept subtitle usage, although these are not available at present. We do still offer a drinks package for travelers in the winter and spring months and have a half board basis during the rest of the year. I hope this experience does not put you off travelling with us again.