“MIKE & BRENDAS RETURN TRIP”
Review of Bay Norbreck Hotel

Bay Norbreck Hotel
Ranked #20 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Manchester, United Kingdom
“MIKE & BRENDAS RETURN TRIP”
Reviewed 30 November 2013

We returned to the NORBREK scarbrough because of the pleasant experience we had the first time. We were not to be disappointed as the experience was even better the second time around . It isn't a 4 star hotel by any means but you are not paying 4 star prices! SO YOU get a good return for your money,good entertainment,especially a gentleman who goes by the name of DANIEL DE FOE a good all round entertainer,descent food & rooms & a stunning view from the cliff top. I must though!unfortunately! put a damper on things by mentioning our coach driver ! a thoroughly unpleasant little chap,whom no one had a good word for,uncommunitive & when he did speak was quite brusk proberly verging on bullying especially to the more elderly of our group. Our coach was no 310 so ill leave it at that. Apart from this we did enjoy the break & will go back again as long as this problem is resolved ! SORRY but I would have given a higher mark but many thanks to the other staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the lift!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mike s
Louise M, General Manager at Bay Norbreck Hotel, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us your review of the hotel and your stay. I will certainly pass on your comments regarding the driver. I’m glad to hear the experience has not put your off returning and look forward to welcoming you in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013

My self and a group of four friends from Middlesbrough,who have travelled to many national holiday resorts find the reviews rather upsetting..if you want a five star hotel you pay for one. Our group of five are all over 60 and found the rooms, restaurant and entertainment very good.we found the staff very helpful and courteous and will be back again. Room 308 307 and 211.

Room Tip: Sea veiw from all rooms
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Annie166
Thank you Annie166 it’s great to read you and your friends enjoyed your stay, I will pass on your comments to the team who I’m sure will appreciate them. We look forward to seeing you again.
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2013

This is a Shearings hotel which we booked late for an autumn break. It is definitely for the more mature person especially if they like evenings of bingo, quizzes and old fashioned entertainment. The outside of the hotel could really do with some TLC and this is very off putting when you arrive and see peeling paint on the brickwork, paint peeling on the ancient and often unopenable windows and a general rundown appearance. The corridors leading to the bedrooms are in pretty poor shape too. The room was OK. Small,very warm but clean as was the bathroom. The TV was miniscule and as the clients are mostly 70+ this is not ideal. Towels changed daily if left in bath. Some people loved the food, others found it bland and predictable. Staff were fine but often in short supply. Breakfast was good, if you were down in time to get the cereal you liked,as the containers were not refilled during breakfast service. And a great deal of cereal was dished out onto the service table as people couldn't get the hang ofpushing buttons on the dispenser. Also, grapefruit segments and prunes were left uncovered on the side where everyone was going (complete with a lot of coughs and colds) to get their fruit juice. On the whole this was good value for money but it's not somewhere I'd visit again.

Room Tip: You don't get any choice on a Shearings trip.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank annabelle w
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am glad you found the hotel good value for money overall. The building does take a beating from the strong winds off the North Sea and remedial repairs are undertaken periodically to the exterior to rectify this. Internally refurbishment is also carried out annually and new flat screen TV’s have been introduced to some of our rooms already. I will discuss your observations regarding the breakfast service with my restaurant supervisor.
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Our party of four have returned from a weekend break at the Norbreck, Scarborough and feel we must share our experience. We arrived and were checked in efficiently and given keys for the two double rooms as booked. What a shock to the system!!!!!! We had room 315. An extremely cold room with single glazed, wooden framed windows which ran with condensation completely obscuring any view of the bay. The carpets were grubby and the decor very tired. Our "shower" was a rubber pipe pushed onto the tap and laid in the bottom of the bath. This would have been adequate if it were not for the fact that when you lifted the pipe any higher than the level of the taps, the water stopped running completely. We had to resort to running a bath and laying under the water to wash and rinse hair. This did remind me of when I was a child but that was well over 50 years ago. Come on Shearings - this is totally unacceptable in 2013. The bed was hard and I think the mattress had seen better days. A plus point was that we were one of the rooms having a duvet rather than blankets. By Saturday evening we were so cold that after having a bath and getting ready to go down for dinner we had to sit with our pyjamas wrapped around our shoulders to try to keep warm - it was that or sit with our coats on. The heating in this hotel is only on for two hour sessions. Why is this? It just does not make sense. We did seek out Louise, the hotel manager, and she found us a heater to put in the room which improved to the temperature of the room but added to the condensation problem. The other room in our party was 314 which was slightly better in so far as it was double glazed and had a proper shower, but the heated towel rail didn't work and they had blankets on the bed. The bath panel was also broken.
On a plus side, the staff in this hotel are a credit to Shearings. They were all friendly and helpful and always seemed overworked. I might say the quality of the staff is too good for this hotel.
The food was adequate for the price of the holiday but again, the dining room windows constantly ran with condensation so it spoiled what would have been beautiful views over the bay. The dining room staff nearly ran round to get you served and again they did this with a smile despite appearing to be understaffed and overworked.
The hotel has a prime site on the cliff top and it is a short 10 to 15 minute walk into the town centre. There are nice walks along the promenade in both directions all the way around both bays.
PARKING TIP don't pay the £5 a day hotel car park fee. We were disappointed not to be able to book a car parking space as it was already full. On arrival we were given an on street parking permit which allowed us to park right outside the hotel for only £1.60 for the whole 4 days duration of our stay.
To finish off. Would we return? Never in a month of Sundays. Come on Shearings. This hotel needs dragging into the present day standards expected from fee paying guests. We appreciate that it is an economy break but taking entertainment and meals out of the equation, Travelodge and others offer better rooms for similar prices. We were told that the hotel is undergoing refurbishment and 8 more rooms are being upgraded next year. At the rate of 8 rooms a year this will take forever. Your staff are far too good for this place.
We have done Shearings breaks to Whitby and Morecombe and both put this place to shame.

Room Tip: Not sure if there are any good rooms!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank LincolnTravellers_12
Louise M, General Manager at Bay Norbreck Hotel, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. It is lovely to hear your praise for the staff and I am sorry the room marred your enjoyment. As you have mentioned we have planned 8 rooms in for refurbishment next year as part of our ongoing refurbishment plan. Our heating times are amended to suit the changing weather patterns and the needs of our guests. I have taken on board all of your comments and hope you will enjoy future holidays with Shearings.

Travellers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

stalybridge
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Louise Flora Ruth bar staff lady you were all great but oh my the evening meals were a disaster I never choose soup because other choices are usually very appealing but I had to choose the soup as the other choices were poor. Ichose fish day one yuk,youk,yuk.vegetables were uninviting as well. Day two I chose fish again what a silly person I was it was dry and horrible he certainly cant cook fish, people can you remember the peas that were served, they were certainly a talking point inthe evening. Louise please have a word in his ear.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank anyaone
I am sorry to hear you were not pleased with the meals and these comments have been passed to the chef. It is good to read your comments about myself and other members of the team and I will make sure that your compliments are passed on.
Towcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2013

This hotel is in a great location and views are great, though if you want to walk into town, it is a long walk uphill back to the hotel.

The breakfast was fine, no complaints there, but dinner was very bland, edible most of the time but avoid the Spaghetti Bolo, worst I ever had! I'm guessing they think people over 60 have lost their taste buds and will eat anything put in front of them, and I guess most probably do, rather than complain.

Rooms, I had a twin (sharing with my mother), if wasnt too bad, we were the lucky ones and had duvets rather than blankets. It did look like it had been refurbished in recent years but I guess they couldnt stretch to replacement bath panels, as ours was taped up in places, nor could they stretch to new blinds in bathroom as our one was mouldy.

One very sad fact is that during our stay there, the lift wasnt working at all, it looked like a very old lift and could do with being replaced. I am more than capable of climbing the stairs, but considering this hotel probably caters mostly for retired people I saw many people, including my mum who struggled a great deal.

We had a nice break in Scarborough, but sadly I wouldnt go back to this hotel unless I see more positive reviews in the future.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank mkjackie
Louise M, General Manager at Bay Norbreck Hotel, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. It is disappointing to hear you were not completely satisfied with your break and your comments have been passed on to the team for attention.
Walsall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2013

My wife and I stayed in room 203 .Small but clean ,bathroom clean but bath panel cracked. great view of Bay ,as usual with this type of Hotel only 1 bedroom chair and 1 bedside cabinet. Plenty of tea coffee milk which we liked. Food was of good quality and plenty
.Bar prices normal for hotels
Mon even entertainment good Tue wet & ? naff. Thur Daniel Defoe very good indeed.
The Staff were quick and helpful and very pleasent

Room Tip: If you like to go to bed early ask for a room not over the bar.Most rooms have a sea view.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank geoffrey f
Louise M, General Manager at Bay Norbreck Hotel, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
It’s great to read you enjoyed your stay. I will pass all your comments on to the staff and we look forward to seeing you again.