“Ticks nearly all the boxes”

The Captain Hotel B & B
and 1 more site!
The Captain Hotel B & B
Ranked #168 of 183 Scarborough B&B and Inns
Phuket
“Ticks nearly all the boxes”
Reviewed 22 September 2012

We picked a really bad weekend to find accommodation so this one was picked without research. The two calls I had with the owner were positive and he offered me a quiet family room for two of us at no extra cost. When we arrived we were early but he soon sorted out parking permits for us and when we returned later to place our luggage in the room everything was fine.

Despite its very central location the room was quiet. Breakfast was adequate, served in a cosy breakfast room and the staff were very polite and helpful. Being close to everything we wanted to see was a bonus and overall, for the money, this was a good find. This is a B&B, not a hotel, but came up to our standards. If you want to "nit pick" then not everything was 100% perfect, but you should not expect that. The main things were that it was clean, centrally located, value for money and the owners were helpful. I would not hesitate to recommend this B&B, if these are the things that you are looking for.

Room Tip: Take one at the back, the higher the better if you don't mind stairs.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Traveller69Phuket

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed 28 July 2012

I had to go to Scarborough on business recently at short notice, I came across this place on the net. When I arrived I most most pleasantly surprised byhow nice and the cleanliness of the place, my room was lovely, the whole property has been decorated beautifully, (congratulations to the painter and decorator who did this, its superb work) The couple running the Captain Hotel are super friendly, nothing was too much trouble even to the point the lady gve me a packed lunch to take with me as I had to leave very early on my day of departure. Anyone visiting Scarborough will not go wrong staying here, this an excellent place to stay, well positioned, good breakfast and superb value for money. Well done to the owners, you are a credit to Scarborough

Room Tip: I did not see all the rooms but I am sure they are all as excellent as the one I stayed in
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank 932ChrisB
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2012

We said when we revisited Scarborough we would definitely stay at the Captain Hotel B & B again and we were so pleased that we did. Please read my review from 2010 I can only echo what I originally wrote two years ago- this is still a very comfortable, clean and welcoming B & B offering outstanding value for money. Very surprisingly there had been no price rise since we stayed previously. We arrived later on the Friday evening and received a warm welcome and great advice about parking and the permits etc. We had a pleasant room on the first floor at the back of the hotel, with a nice hot shower and everything you should need for a comfortable break.
The owners are a cheery, friendly couple and it was so nice to see them again, working equally as hard as they did before to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. There is a nice relaxed and homely atmosphere when staying here.
Breakfast was great, we had weetabix and muesli, fresh orange juice, tea and coffee- followed by a tasty English breakfast, the bacon was locally sourced and the eggs free range which you could tell with the flavour. Toast and preserves finished the meal with the offer of further toast and drinks if required.
As many other people have said the hotel is ideally placed for access to everything. We wanted a break that was town and seafront based so didn't have to move the car once everything is easily accessible by foot and on the doorstep.
We don't often write reviews on places that we stay, only when the genuine hospitality is deserving of a mention and the Captain Hotel certainly is.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank t_bird31_12
Leeds, UK
Reviewed 17 March 2012

This is a lovely little place, right in the middle of town, pubs and bars all within walking distance. Its very very close to the train station and only a 5min walk down the hill to the sea front. Plenty of shops nearby and mecca bingo is opposite. We came for a break without the kids and loved it. The owners seem very friendly and couldnt do enough to help us. The rooms were decent size the bed was comfy and clean. All in all we would return (and probably will) definitely worth the money!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank leedslady09
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 September 2011

We stayed at the Captain for one night 24th sept 2011 and it ticked all the boxes.The main selling point is its location ,bang in the centre of everything.One minute from the rail station,so dont waste any money on a taxi.We stayed on the ground floor after the owner with his wife and children greeted us(sorry don,t know the names) and found it was clean and tidy.Mecca bingo is oppersite if you like it.A Weatherspoons pub is 100m away,come out of Captain ,turn right 50m.turn right again 50m and your there.There are loads of pubs in the immediate area so enjoy.Back to the room the only annoying aspect is if you went to the toilet ,the extractor fan came on and it seemed a age for it to turn off.Breakfast was fine but maybe 2 of everything would have been nice especially eggs and bacon. Overall a nice one night stay and my daughter as already stated she will stay there on a night out.Hope this helps .

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bigcarl62
teesside
Reviewed 24 September 2011

My husband and I recently had an enjoyable four nights stay at the Captain. We found the proprietors both friendly and helpful. Whilst the hotel was not luxurious, we found it clean and comfortable and very good value. It was in a good location with pubs, restaurants, rail and train stations close at hand. We had a very spacious room at the front of the hotel and, unlike a previous reviewer, experienced, no noise whatsoever. I have no hesitation in recommending it.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank littleeve8
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2011

Good value for money, Clean rooms, owners very friendly and helpful. The only problem was parking - very very difficult to find a space. Wasn't able to travel out at night because of this.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple