“Great location for young family marred by inconsiderate hen night”

The Sands - Sea Front Apartments
Reviewed 6 June 2010

We rented the Penthouse on floor 5 with magnificent Sea views and an impossible cream carpet throughout! £250 per night wasn't cheap but as it was my wife's Birthday I wanted to do something special, and being close to the Beach it would be great for the kids (7, 5, 3 and 1).

There are four Penthouses on the top floor, 2 with sea views and 2 without, you have large wrap around balconies (which are very safe for kids) and super modern apartment style decor and Kitchen. Access to the Beach is down the elevator and 10 yards outside the door and there is also a Gymn (which we didn't use). Sounds idyllic.

From a young family perspective it was ideal from a location point of view but clearly had not been planned around a young family! There was no high chair, and the Dining room although wonderful, like the rest of the apartment had a lovely cream carpet, however the thought of sitting our children at the dining table to eat (or decorate) this glorious cream pile was a thought too horrific to contemplate!! So we decided to eat in the Kitchen on (high) swivel bar stools - although these weren't exactly our first choice for young children, they didn't break their necks and managed to stay atop of the stools!!!

With the exceptions above, the stay would have been ideal if the landlords hadn't let out the adjoining to Penthouses on either side of us for a 'Hen Party'. Unfortunately they did and what can I say? Youngish, excitable and women on a mission with too much Vino celebrating an event like this, don't make terribly good neighbours - in fact with 4 young children and adjoining balconies, it is a recipe for the night from hell . . .

To summarise, the apartment was lovely but is not really suitable for a young family, the neighbours were something I'd expect in Blackpool at some dive of a Hotel but not in the Penthouse in Scarborough!! Still money and taste seldom go together and excess amongst the younger single female fraternity is now common place - thank God I married my wife when I did :-)

We won't be returning, it was a bad call from the management and I was astonished when the girl on reception asked me if everything had been satisfactory, to which I replied:

'Well not really, I had four young children in a £250 apartment with a Hen night running next door' to which she replied:

'Were they noisy then?'

I replied: 'What do you think?!!!!!!!!!!!'

Still she reassured me that apparently the Hen party crew did sign a contract and so they'd be having words with them . .
I was really impressed with that as you can imagine. Wonder what words they were planning to use and how this exactly helps my special night away they ruined?

You would have thought the receptionist could have:

a) Apologized
b) Called the Manager

But no, just took the money and said Cheerio.

Mark

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank markilus

Reviewed 6 June 2010

I don't really want to moan about these fantastic apartments, but for the price you expect perfection, and we didn't get that.

First off the location is superb right on the beach at Scarborough's North bay, and you don't need to drive anywhere. There are shops and bars, and a bus stop on your doorstep. If you do drive anywhere, your allocated parking space in the secure car park is waiting on your return. Blue Flag beach with lifeguards is cleaned daily by machine, but we noticed that rules about dogs on beach / on a lead / bikes on promenade were flouted all the time, and did not appear to be enforced.

The apartments are modern and well equipped, and are bookable for short periods by the night, like a hotel. You also pay on departure after a deposit on booking. A welcome pack of bread , milk, tea , washing up liquid, etc is provided, but all apartments are owned individually, so facilities and standards will vary. (we were supposed to have a safe, but didn't!) . We also had problems with a leaking toilet (not fixed), bathroom door locks (fixed after 2 days), bedroom TV (not fixed).

I had seen other reviews mention that rooms were cleaned and bins emptied daily, and was surprised to be offered this at a daily cost of £15, after I had booked. This would have added 10% to the cost, and is not something that we usually receive in self catering accommodation, so we declined. I thought that if I stayed one night that the rooms would be cleaned etc, and you pay the same nightly rate for any length of stay (there is no weekly rate), so really this is included in the cost!

We had no problems with noise, which others have reported, and although we saw groups of youngsters around, the bar diner is confident enough to leave its tables and chairs outside at night.

Don't let my moans put you off - if want a great apartment close to a lovely beach this is a good choice, but you are paying top dollar so should not expect things to go wrong, or at least be put right swiftly.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank gorby123
Reviewed 31 May 2010

Took advantage of May offer. Non sea view 2 bed apartment. Glad went for a higher floor so we could enjoy the Park view and not the car park. It was great as we avoided the noise from the street below and we could enjoy the afternoon sun on our balcony..
The interior of the apartment is great,very quiet and the staff excellent. Did not use gym but took a look and looks great.
Never been to Scarborough as we usually go to N Wales but so much to do here and fish and chips are to die for.
Kids loved it and well be back for sure. Might even consider a golf trip as some nice courses as well.
Well done Scarborough!

1  Thank NorthWestTiger
Reviewed 23 May 2010

This our second stay in the Sands apartments and we enjoyed the second time as much as the first. The stanard is excellant and worth every penny. We will definatley be staying again.

Reviewed 22 May 2010

From being welcomed by very friendly staff we settled in a luxurious two bedroomed apartment which was spotless and the sea view was what is normally seen on advertisements.We had beautiful meals at THE COPPER HORSE ATseamer & THE OAK WHEEL at Burniston.Allocated a car park place and as the Queen was visiting on our check out day I think she was waving us goodbye ,what a nice gesture. Joking aside with all the positive reviews it may be difficult to get a vacancy soon. A big THANK YOU to THE SANDS we will return

Reviewed 18 May 2010

I would like to say that I was absolutely impressed with the look and comfort of the apartment. Everything was there for your needs. The welcome package of milk, bread tea and coffee was wonderful. I also found it fantastic having the diswasher there so no dishes to wash was very welcoming.
I also found Scarbourough to be a very nice place to visit.
I would definately stop again.
The only downside was that you could not smoke anywhere not even on your balcony.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 May 2010

Stayed 2 nights in 2-bedroom third floor sea view apartment on Friday and Saturday nights. North Beach and parks steps away.
Furniture, Furnishings, layout, equipment, heating all superior standard. On site car park secure and adjacent.
Staff very helpful.
We are visiting Scarborough in August and again in November - we will stay at The Sands again.
If you stay at The Sands try for a sea view.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple