“Lovely!”

Ranked #42 of 183 Scarborough B&B and Inns
Redcar, United Kingdom
“Lovely!”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We checked in last minute after having to leave a near by hotel as the room was very grotty. We got a nice vibe as soon as entering the place, very clean and tastefully decorated. One of the owners Louisa was very friendly and welcoming. There was a lot of information about the local area available and we were given a list of local recommended restaurants. Our room was the last available, an en suite on the second floor which had been recently refurbished, it was a lovely bright, spacious, clean room with crisp white sheets. It had a flat screen wall mounted, tea and coffee and tasty biscuits, a small in built cupboard and a brand new bathroom, we were very happy.

The breakfasts in the morning was a very good portion and there was plenty of choice,fresh fruit, branded cereals if your into that and toast and coffee re fills without having to ask. The staff smart and lovely. We even got a cadburys cream egg as a surprise, hidden under our coffee cup. We would definitely stay here again. The only draw backs I can think are that the stairs may not be suitable if your not in good shape and my pillow was not to my liking, it was a bit big for me but that is all I can think of.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 October 2013

This is our fourth visit any certainly won't be our last. Lousia chatty and helpful as always. Rooms spotlessly clean, Breakfast excellent as ever and really sets you up for the day. Recommend staying here to anyone.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms worth paying extra for although the view of the cricket ground is fine. Stairs can b...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank B H
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Visited Scarborough for a weekend break, and stayed at the Howdale. A lovely little gem. Well placed for all amenities and has beautiful sea views over the North Bay. The hotel is small but has everything you need. The bedroom was clean and tidy and had an en-suite. The breakfasts were great and you had lots to choose from. The welcome from the owner was very friendly and she was always helpful and obliging. There was a small car park which is a bonus in Scarborough and was available free of charge.

Room Tip: Lower floor advisable if not so fit as no lift.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2013

My wife and I have just returned home after a 2night stay at the Howdale Hotel.
Louisa welcomed us at the door with a cheery hello. We had booked a double room with en-suite and found this to comfortable and very clean.
Breakfast was substantial and very tasty - no need for lunch on both days!
Would recommend the Howdale to anyone and will be staying there again when in Scarborough

Room Tip: Rooms on the Queens Drive side have a view over the North Bay
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TheTykesHuddersfield
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Our two night stay began with a nice personal touch from Louisa with a birthday card for my wife waiting in our room.We booked a en suite room with a stunning view overlooking the bay.The room was clean as was the dining room and lounge.The breakfast was excellent,choice of cereals,cooked breakfast,toast,fruit,yoghurts,tea,coffee and juices..Great location close to the town centre,Peasholm Park and the North Bay.Free parking and Wifi.Would recommend.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Barneyal
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2013

My 4 year old daughter and myself stayed here for a extra long weekend just and gone and all i can say, isthat it was perfect. Clean rooms, cosy beds, excellent service, great location. Breakfast was fantastic and cartered for all Louisa went out of her to make us and the other guests welcome. Really dont understand the negative petty comments...(.some people amaze me they really do) Louisa runs the hotel all by herself more or less, and its a credit to her. Defo coming back next year

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Joanne T
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2013

After ringing the doorbell and waiting an uncomfortable amount of time, I was greeted by Louisa the owner of this B&B. Not the typical friendly bubbly B&B owner you might be expecting. I was told they had a standard room with a shared bathroom, I told Louisa I would nip to the car to ask my boyfriend and would come back. On my return she asked me 'Do you want this room or not as I finished at 8pm', it was only 8:30pm. I told her we would take it and then asked her about a parking space, she replied 'The car park's full I can't magic a space out of nowhere'. She continued to be rude/cold/arrogant, yet surprisingly when my boyfriend entered she transformed into this friendly helpful lady (That tells its own story!)
The room was good, bog standard B&B decor. The view was very nice as we ended up with a sea-facing room! Shared bathroom was tiny, had a bath in which seemed pointless and the shower was controlled by the bath taps which made temperature control difficult. The shower was not fixed to the wall so you have to hold the head whilst showering which makes it very frustrating. We stayed room only so didn't experience breakfast.
Overall, standard B&B nothing special but with great views if you get a sea room. User UN-friendly shared bathroom (Why not just fix the shower head to the wall?!) and an incredibly rude landlady. Will not be re-visiting!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple