“"Arrived as strangers left as friends"”

St Michael's Guest House
Ranked #2 of 183 Scarborough B&B and Inns
Derby, England, United Kingdom
“"Arrived as strangers left as friends"”
Reviewed 2 July 2013

We have just returned from a long weekend in Scarborough. Having looked at the reviews on Trip Advisor St Michaels Guest House shone out and we soon realised why. We stayed in a family room with bunk beds which our 7 year old son loved! The room had everything we needed and lots more besides - the chocolates, biscuits,sweets, hospitality tray and complementary toiletries were very much appreciated. Nothing was too much trouble and you were made to feel very much at home.
From the moment we arrived the welcome and hospitality could not have been any warmer. Jan and Ed are exceptional hosts. The rooms were immaculate and the breakfast was outstanding.

My son ran into school this morning telling his friends and their parents that he had been to Scarborough, "stayed in a lovely hotel and met some lovely people - their names were Jan and Ed, you should stay there and meet them too". I couldn't have put it better myself!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Paula147

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Christchurch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2013

Ed and Jan were the perfect hosts - there when you needed them. So happy to help with anything and offer local advice of where to eat etc
St Michaels was exceptionally clean and welcoming.
The breakfasts are really something else - make sure you are hungry!
More than happy to recommend St Michael's to anyone and everyone visiting Scarborough.

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2013

We stayed here mid June '13 (Bit of a Birthday treat for me) for one night. I had left the choice of B&B to my fiance and so had no idea what to expect.

My main concern had been car parking - although I need not have worried as, although there is no dedicate car park, there is plentiful on street car parking and for visitors staying in the B&Bs there is a chitty one places in the windscreen to permit one to stay parked permanently (like a residents permit).

The welcome from the owners of the B&B was warm and genuine - absolutley lovely folks who obviously put their heart and soul into making their B&B as good as it can possibly be. Really nice people.

The rooms are nice - extreemly well decorated and comfortable. The free wifi works wonderfully.

Breakfast was possibly the best cooked breakfast i have ever had in a B&B - best quality sausages and the like and vast amounts all freshly cooked.

I could whitter on endlessly about how welcoming, comforting, friendly, nice etc etc the B&B is but I think thats all well reflected in all the other reviews. I have stayed in a lot of B&Bs and this one is certainly top notch and one I can wholeheartedly reccomend.

Kettering, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Just returned from two nights at St Michael's. Can't speak highly enough of what Jan, Ed and family are doing there. From the moment we walked through the door, to leaving two days later, everything was exceptional. Friendly service, beautifully clean rooms, comfortable bed, hot shower, what more do you want from a guest house? The breakfast was unbelievable and hate to admit it, but the first morning I was beaten! After speaking to Jan the second morning, had (only a slightly) smaller breakfast and was able to do it full justice! Jan, Ed - please keep it up, can't wait to find another excuse for a long weekend to be able to return.

lincolnshire. uk
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Yet again a excellent Stay at St Michael's. We stayed there the first weekend in June and had a lovely little break. Upon arrival we were greeted as usual with big smiles and a hug from Edd & Jan followed by a welcomed cuppa.
They are always pleased to see you and very helpful with everything. If you go there you are in for a treat. The Day is started by a hearty Edd's breakfast which sets you up for the day a treat. And at the end of the day you can retire to your exceedingly clean, spacious and well equipped room for a wonderful nights sleep. We have the family room as we have 2 girls and they love the bunk beds and being able to watch the dvd's that Jan has left in there for guests to watch.
A added bonus, if you are going to see anything at The Open Air Theatre in Scarborough it is a fab 5 min walk from their front door so no need to worry about parking. Perfect :)
Thanks guys for a wonderful relaxing break, see you again soon xx

Room Tip: Jan always accommodate you to the best room for your needs wether you are single or a family.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
doncaster
Reviewed 27 June 2013

I stayed for a course with the person who wrote the review below :) First impressions were great, no fusty/old smell which unfortunately some guest houses have! Pleasant welcome by Jan and Ed. nice cup of tea on arrival. We were given a quick guide around the room before we settled in an unpacked. Beds are comfy and room spacious enough for my colleague and myself. Everything
Clean, tidy and was very happy with the modern decor. Breakfast orders were taken the night before. Dietary requirements/requests are no problem either. Tea, hot chocolate and coffee making facilities in the room also. Breakfast is between 8-9am I think..... But if you need it before or after then just ask on checking in. Plenty of breakfast choice and done to your liking. I'll happily recommend St Michaels and will be returning on our next stay up at Scarborough.
Jan & Ed- I'll let yo know how I get on with the double arrival :) Thanks for a pleasant stay x

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Selby, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Myself and a colleague stayed here whilst on a course and I can't praise it enough. A warm and friendly welcome, spotlessly clean rooms and the biggest cooked breakfast I've ever seen. Food was fresh and abundant and nothing is too much trouble. If Jan and Ed are the new breed of guest house owners then I will be staying much more as they are FAR from the old stereotypes. Good luck to them and I will see you again in August.

• Stayed June 2013