2,440 results
All reviews sea view hotel is in a great location sea front town centre tea and coffee short break the cliff yogurt ncp seafront seaside bay
Reviewed 7 July 2013

Stayed here again (must like it as stayed here over 6 times now) and depending on if you get a good price - ie - under £30.00, then it is worth staying at. The seagulls do wake you up early in the morning, but this is the seaside so you expect it. Try to get a seaview room. The hotel has 2 lifts but one is still not working an has been out of order for over a year.The hotel is getting a refit in October with new beds and new wall coverings so the lift might be fixed then. The hotel opened in May 2009 and has been well used.

Have to say that breakfast was a bit of a shambles - no one there to serve, running out of food, tables left uncleaned with dirty plates etc. Complained to reception, said that a member of staff had rung in sick. After our compliant we got a refund on the breakfast. The breakfast was the only thing that let my stay down.The staff are pleasant and helpful, the hotel is in a good location and the rooms, although basic, have all you need. There is not much storage space but then, Travelodge is meant to be for a short stay, not a 5 nights or more stay.

The hotel is clean, the staff are professional and I will stay there again next time I visit Scarborough.

Room Tip: Ask for a seaview room
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KeighleyJetsetter
Reviewed 2 July 2013

We travelled to Scarborough for a cricket match and got a couple of rooms here for a reasonable £25 each (and a family room for 3 was a good deal). We knew what to expect having stayed in 'lodges before, but our room was clean (when we found it, the hotel is a bit of a maze), the long thin bathroom (no bath only shower) was fine, we slept well which to be fair is all you can hope for when you book a cheap room. It's central, an easy walk from the train station and cricket ground. There are obviously lots of bars etc within a few blocks - the tea rooms nearby was a good choice for breakfast - and what you save on your hotel room gives you extra 2p coins to play the machines on the seafront! The main problem for us was, like all Travelodges, they don't let you leave your luggage and so you have to carry it around until 3pm or when you check in. Goodness knows why they have this rule and telling us there was a place in town where you could leave bags wasn't the most helpful information! Think Travelodge need to have a look at this rule

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 June 2013

We had a lovely 5 night stay at this hotel and got a lovely sea view room on the 1st floor (room 132) rooms are basic at Travelodge but I've not had a bad room yet and I've stayed at 10 different Travelodge's before and have paid on average £15 for a room which is very good value, we got this sea view room in Scarborough for £75 so for 2 people that's a great price for a holiday, especially when we had stayed in an apartment in Whitby last year costing £460!!
We didn't have any meals in this hotel as we like to get out and about, the Grand Hotel across the road is a nice place to go we had lunch a few times in there and it was very reasonable and tasty and u get to sit in magnificent surroundings.
We will be going back again to this Travelodge hotel next year and I'm hoping to get room 132 again ...fantastic views!

Room Tip: Room 132 is a sea view room on the 1st floor at the end of the building with views across the whole of the bay.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank lisanottm
Reviewed 26 June 2013

As hotels go, it is wise never to expect too much from the Travelodge chain wherever you go - they offer basic facilities at best and Scarborough is no exception. Upon arrival the first thing that crops up is the very restricted parking on St. Nicholas cliff - to be fair, on-line booking makes you aware of this but I got lucky and found a place on the opposites side of the square from the hotel. Between 9am and 6pm the parking is all pay-and-display with a maximum 3 hour stay, but overnight it is free. Just don't expect to check in to the hotel after six, then go for an evening drive because you'll probably lose your space. First impressions were not favourable - a quick look on Google Streetview shows that the hotel was being renovated in 2009, but the facade has quickly deteriorated again, and like the Grand Hotel on the opposite side of the square has become a favourite roost for the town's seagulls. Reception is clean and basic, and check-in took all of five minutes as I had booked on-line in advance. However, once I had my room key, it quickly became apparent that the interior of the hotel wasn't in the best condition either. The whole place smells damp and musty (and a quick trip up the main stairwell proved that the place has a major damp-proofing problem...) and the carpets looked as though they hadn't been vacuumed in months. My room was clean though, and the bed proved reasonably comfortable. Basic brewing facilities are provided as in most chain-hotels of this type, and the bathroom was clean and well-maintained with clean linen provided. The TV channel selection is very limited, and the remote-control in my room didn't work. The view wasn't exactly great either (see accompanying photo).

I had decided when booking not to take an evening meal, preferring to take a walk down on the sea-front and partake in a fish supper - after all, what trip to Scarborough (even a business trip) is complete without fish-and-chips? However, after an hour's walk and pretty fruitless search, it soon became clear that the the state of the hotel seemed to reflect the entire state of the town - Scarborough has become very neglected and run-down in the years since I last had chance to explore the place. It's a real shame because it used to be great. However, I digress; having retraced my steps to the hotel, I retired to the bar area (staffed by the ever-cheerful and seemingly ubiquitous Elly - I only saw one other member of staff for the duration of my stay...) and ordered a chicken makhani curry with pilau rice. This appeared reasonably quickly, but it has to be said that whilst the curry itself was served piping hot and was delicious, the portions were a bit stingy and the pilau left a bit to be desired - anyone with any knowledge of Indian cuisine will tell you that a pilau is generally made using basmati rice; this clearly wasn't - it was just bog-stock long-grain, and to add insult to injury it had obviously been cooked some time ago and had seen better days (either that or it had been over-done).

Opting for an early breakfast so that I could spend an hour or two revisiting some favourite haunts in this area before by day's business, I was in the dining room shortly after 7am. The main dining room has all the welcome of a Little Chef, without the atmosphere. Breakfast is an all-you-can-eat affair so opting for the cooked option rather than cereal and fruit, I was pleased to see a hot counter over-flowing with sausage, bacon, beans, tomatoes and scrambled egg... again though, once I had served myself (no staff in evidence again) it became apparent that the food had been on display for some time and was barely warm, despite being under heat lamps. I consoled myself with the fact that there was plenty of it and made the most of that luxury. Checking out was a case of dropping my room key through the slot in the reception desk - again there were no staff in evidence to whom I could address any concerns, or to thank.

All in all, if you want a quick, no-frills, place to stay for a one-night solo business trip as I did, the place is OK but nothing more; if you're looking for a longer holiday stay, look elsewhere. If I have to repeat this trip, I'll be looking at the Premier Inn.

Room Tip: If you can, ask for a room at the front of the hotel - rooms at the rear overlook a derelict factory and the back yards of adjacent hotels.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 June 2013

stopped here for one night, it was ok i suppose you get what you pay for. the bedroom was clean and the staff were friendly enough especially when i was at the bar at 2am ... no real problems i would stay here again ( HALF THE PRICE OF THE HOTEL AROUND THE CORNER) that helps LOL ..

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends