“Dismal; rip-off; avoid”

Ranked #15 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
West Yorkshire
“Dismal; rip-off; avoid”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Should've learnt my lesson about Travelodge 5 years ago when I was bitten by a flea at their Heathrow branch - I left immediately then and wish I had this time. However, it's been Armed Forces Day today and no other hotel had a room so thought we'd give it a chance - huh! Room is very spartan and at the most remote corner at the back of the place, view through the filthy windows is of the back of another building and seagull droppings. Corridors smell damp & musty. One tiny bottle of very cheap shower gel for two of us, no soap, no hot water from shower or basin tap. TV remote doesn't work. Dismal, dreary, soulless dump that I'm annoyed about paying £82 for plus £3 for WiFi access.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (435)
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2014

booked last minute for one night the room was at front of the hotel decent size the bed looked ok until sat on it the springs were none existent the bed delved right down the middle the single bed for my daughter was no better the base looked broke and the matress was no good there was a terrible smell coming from the pillows and quilt.went down for breakfast for 8 nothing ready the food was brought out was horrid cold beans bacon looked like it had been cut with a razor blade sausage was disgusting the best thing was the scrambled egg.no tomatoes no hash browns no mushrooms total waste of money.young girl on reception was very friendly the rest of the staff were miserable so and sos would never pay to stay there again this hotel doesnt need refurbishing it needs pulling down oh nearly forgot you couldnt see out of the bedroom dirty windows dirt on inside that someone had drew a big loveheart on looked like it had been there for years the room number was 115 if u get offered it tell them to give you something better

Room Tip: try to get the premier inn lovely breakfast and comfortable clean beds
1 Thank dawn s

Travellers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2014

really grate place to stay close to the town and the sea front. grate views from the sea view windows. the staff are friendly and welcoming couldn't to anymore to help.,grate food will be back soon.
welldone

Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I booked our room well in advance on a Saver Deal, I thought 34.00 for the night was a fair price. I am now pleased that I didn't pay more and wish I had paid less. Having previously stayed in the Meadow Hall Travelodge, with a lovely clean airy room and very comfortable bed I was confident that this would be a bargain. How wrong, the room was clean, but I spent the night with springs digging into my back and a room which was too warm. I tried leaving the window open but had to close it due to the seagulls roosting on the roof opposite, (no one's fault there I acknowledge). We looked out onto a dirty flat roof, covered in pigeons and their droppings, not healthy I don't think. The bathroom had a towel which had obviously been used by a previous occupant. The whole building looks tired. We didn't eat there so I am unable to comment on the service, other than to say the reception staff were very friendly. Overall, we were disappointed and would not be considering staying in this Travelodge again.

Room Tip: Check out if the rooms / Travelodge has been refurbished before booking.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jud37
TravelodgeUK, Amy from Customer Services at Travelodge Scarborough St Nicholas Hotel, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
We are sorry to learn of your disappointment Jud37. Our mattresses will be checked and turned on a regular basis so it is regrettable to learn you found your bed was uncomfortable. We also require our guests to have fresh and clean towels and linen in every room. We would like to further understand the issues you have highlighted to find a resolution. Please could you visit our website and select the Contact Us button to provide us with more details and when doing so please specify you have left a TripAdvisor review.
UK
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I was booked in for two nights 25/6/14 to 26/6/14 but only stayed one so I am writing this review at home when I should be spending the second night in the hotel. My room was clean but was tucked away at the rear of the hotel. It was quite depressing room and far to warm it was difficult to sleep.

The food was awful and grossly over priced I had the fish & chips the fish looked like it was cheap and frozen it was also burnt and dry as if it had been cooked in a oven. The Breakfast was saved by the sausage the scrambled egg and Bacon was not the best.

I had paid for the two nights with meals so I did not leave lightly but it was such a depressing stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank carl7Uk
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Just stayed for 2 nights, the whole place smells damp, the rooms are dirty & dusty, the windows are covered in bird poo, the pigeon nets are all ripped. Breakfast was horrid, with powered scrambled eggs, mugs on tables unclean.
Then there's a big sign 'wear your pyjamas in the bar or for breakfast' as run down & dirty as this place was, seeing somebody at the bar in their pyjamas, just about sums it up.

Room Tip: Stay in the B&B 2 doors along.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
TravelodgeUK, Amy from Customer Services at Travelodge Scarborough St Nicholas Hotel, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Thank you for your review Ruby2008095. Our housekeeping team are trained on ensuring all of our rooms are clean and fresh so it is regrettable to learn this was not the case. Our Bar Café staff are also fully trained on ensuring our food is up to great standards. We’d like to be able to contact you to find a resolution. In order for us to do this please could you visit our website and use the Contact Us button to tell us more and when doing so please indicate you have left a TripAdvisor review.
Genoa, Italy
Reviewed 25 June 2014

A lovely warm welcome from staff obviously contending with the deficiencies of a hotel about to be refurbished! Great location a few mins from the beach. Once refurbed will be an excellent value for money place to stay.

Review collected in partnership with Travelodge