“Very disappointing for Travelodge”

and 1 more site!
Travelodge Scarborough St Nicholas Hotel
Ranked #13 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Directly opposite the famous Grand Hotel which has now become a haven for sea-gulls much like a rock face. So gulls screeching all night. Hard to sleep. Staff very pleasant and as helpful as they could be and the bed was comfortable, but everything else very poor. The keys hardly ever worked. Breakfast inedible. The room wasn't cleaned during our 3 night stay and we ran out of everything. No fans available, no hairdryers available. Room tatty in every sense. Actually the list is endless. One of the most serious things was no accurate fire escape instructions and we couldn't see anyway of getting out in case of fire. We were right on the top floor, room 502 and if there was a fire we would have had to jump to our deaths!

Our friends stayed in the Premier Inn about 2 mins walk from us, and they said it was excellent.
So Travelodge - watch out!

Room Tip: Lower floors might be slightly quieter as the seagulls screech around the top floors.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 July 2014

location great, parking not many spaces outside hotel, best place to park is under the big bridge as you go on to the front go round the roundabout under the bridge 1st right turn into an underground car park £6.50 for 24hrs.(immediate right turn into car park off of roundabout heading towards the spa south beach end). cheapest place. locks up over night. hotel can be noisy , if hot weather take a fan but they have some there . found mattress very uncomfortable felt every spring. clean tidy hotel & room, food nice &drinks. but theres a brewers fayre round the corner, had a lovely fried breaky for £2.00 at the café under the indoor market. were the curiosity shops are,lovely breaky unbelievable price have to pay extra for tea &coffee about 70p. hotel needs new beds, new tv remotes ha! if anyone goes check out fire exits i found last fire door locked . on ground floor ( its got combination number lock on it.). i asked a staff member why is a fire door locked? just hope its been sorted.. watch out for traffic wardens don't go over 1min you will be fined. watch out for pick pockets. if you got kids & get chance catch open top bus up to north end,theses2 parks up there with train to ride on, lake with boats, climbing frame brilliant! zorbing! crazy golf etc. plus if you get off train your at seaworld. some leaflets have tickets buy 1 get 1 free entry. leaflets in Travelodge or grand hotel on right side as you entry hotel. any one with dogs, dogs allowed on far south beach . way past spa.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge
1  Thank Jewels B
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Booked on-line £99 1 night 2 people - This was a last minute booking as my husband was working in the area, we had recently got married and wanted to spend quality time together. I arrived at 17:40pm checked in at the very busy reception with the receptionist that had very little time for me and spoke so fast that I had no idea what she said. It was obvious that she had said the same thing a number of times that day however I was under the impression that in customer service you treat every customer as your first.
I collected my Key card and made my way through the damp smelling corridors to the room, I got to the room dropped my bag in and left to meet my husband as he was working till late.
My husband and I returned later so we could freshen up before we went out to eat.
My husband noticed the white duvet cover that was on the bed was displaying some very visible stains on the duvet under the duvet cover, my husband removed the cover and placed the duvet on the floor and went to reception to report the duvet, we were met by two staff members, one female behind reception and a male member of staff stood at the customer side of the desk, the female uniform looked creased and had not seen an iron, the male was slouched with his elbow on the desk head resting on his hand. (his body language was very unprofessional) My husband explained about the stains on the duvet and the female asked "what would you like us to do" my husband explained that he had removed it from the cover and had left it on the floor to be removed. The female response "oh alright I'll arrange for someone to remove it, would you like a replacement?" I explained it is a warm evening and not to bother. My husband asked how housekeeping had missed the stains on the duvet when they changed the bedding. Neither of the staff commented.
We returned to the hotel after going out for a meal on our return we were met by two members of staff going outside my husband went to the bar were a number of very load guest were having a heated discussion. My husband waited sometime time to be served when a guest explained that the staff had passed him on our way in they had gone for a cigarette break, they could clearly see people queuing at the bar through the window and made attempt to attend to guests. When they did return neither washed there hand or made any kind of apology. The basic customer service lacked in this hotel and I personal felt like we were a chore for the staff rather than guests.
The room we stayed in (211) had damp patches on the ceiling and only enough towels for one person. (we shared as I was unwilling to go back to reception)
I have stayed in many hotels all over the world, I booked this at very last minute and yes expected basic but I can say that this was not a pleasant experience.

Room Tip: The room we stayed in 211 had no view and had damp patches on the ceiling
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tracey B
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Has been subjected to some improvements but disappointing for the price. Breakfast room and communal areas have been refurbished. Clean and good breakfast. Room 126 in centre of building. Unable to open curtains as overlooked by other rooms. Hot and stuffy, no aircon. TV needed new batteries in control but still didn't work, channels etc had to be changed on set. Dated fittings throughout room. New shower but very slippery surface, no shower mat, curtain flimsy and grabbed you when showering. Toilet so close to wall difficult to sit comfortably, toilet roll sitting in front of right shoulder. Won't be going there again. Seagulls instead of alarm clock at 4am.

Room Tip: Avoid room 126 not sure what others are like but some rooms must have been stuffy as electric fans w...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 July 2014

This is the first time I have ever had to write a negative review of a hotel. I'm not going to enjoy writing this review, but to be completely honest, the hotel deserves it.

I have stayed with Travelodge many times before, so I fully know what to expect. I was impressed with the first impressions of this hotel - a grand old period building, close to the sea front that's not on a main road or on a drinking strip - so minimises the risk of noise from traffic or drunken revellers. The reception staff were very friendly and very welcoming, a credit to the hotel industry. The communal areas of the hotel were clean and well presented (by Travelodge standards). I checked in and went to my room - room 214 on the second floor. I was impressed with the size and layout of the room - the period building meant this this wasn't a typical Travelodge layout.

I noticed almost straight away that the window was covered in bird poo - not a massive problem in itself, but does suggest the exterior hasn't been cleaned for a while. As I walked around my room, I felt that the floor was very uneven. The floor was up and down, all over the place. Felt a bit unnerving to walk on.

When I went into the bathroom after sunset, I found that the bathroom light did not work. I assumed the bulb had blown, so would be simple to fix. I went to reception to report the fault, and when I told the receptionist that my bathroom light doesn't work, she responded with 'Is it room 214?' I am not sure how I'm supposed to interpret such a response, other than that the hotel knew about the problem and were waiting for me to come and report it. Maybe another member of staff has spotted the problem, maybe a previous customer has reported it, but to ask is it my room - out of all the rooms in the hotel - can only be interpreted as the staff know about the problem. I was told that the hotel did not have any spare light bulbs on site, and as all rooms were booked they couldn't change my room.

Seriously Travelodge - a hotel of this size, and you don't keep a single spare bulb on site???

I basically had no choice but to accept my room with a dark bathroom. The lighting in the room didn't project into the bathroom. On top of that, the toilet seat would not stay raised (there wasn't enough space between the seat and the cistern for the seat to stay raised) which meant I had to urinate in the dark and try to miss the toilet seat. Not fun!

When I went to get into bed, I lifted the duvet back and thought that the mattress looked rather sagged in the middle. I got into bed and immediately sunk into the middle! The middle of the mattress was completely worn out, and offered very little support. As I fell into the middle, I noticed that all four sides of the mattress had raised up. Yes, it was that worn in the middle, that all the sides raised as I laid on it. I got out of bed, got dressed and went back to reception to complain again. Of course, there was nothing that could be done so I had to accept the mattress as was.

As such, I had the most unnatural and uncomfortable nights sleep that I've ever had, due to the mattress being so worn. The non-existent sleep quality was compounded by the windows offering almost zero insulation from exterior noise. As mentioned above, it wasn't traffic or people noise. It was seagulls - they were squawking all night long. The window did not insulate the noise.

Upon complaining, the staff told me that the hotel is due for full refurbishment soon - no doubt as part of Travelodge's full estate refurbishment. However, this is far too late. The mattress in room 214 should have been replaced a long time ago, it is totally unacceptable to sleep on. As for the bathroom light not working - and the staff knowing about it - what would have happened if I (or any other customer in such an unsafe room) was to have slipped, fell and hurt themselves? Just think of the negligence claim that Travelodge would face, given that they knew about the problem.

The hotel staff were quick to proactively offer a full refund given how bad my stay was. They offered, I didn't ask. When this hotel is refurbished, Travelodge need to seriously consider installing secondary glazing on the windows to insulate against external noise - and I told the receptionist this as I was checking out. As the staff pointed out to me, the building is listed - which means secondary glazing is probably the only option.

I will not be staying at this hotel again, and I cannot recommend that anyone else books this hotel.

Room Tip: If they offer you room 214, run away!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Richy-UK_1
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We stayed in room 425, a family room, on Sat 19th July. The purpose was purely to get ready for a party and have a bed for the night once we returned. I wouldn't book this hotel if I was having a holiday in Scarborough. The room was large, as was the bathroom; however there was 'hair' in the bath (which I took a photo of but won't put on here). The flooring could do with updating in there too and perhaps a shelf to put toiletries on would be good. I slept on a single bed where there was no mattress cover and the sheet was only the shape of the top of the mattress so , at times, was lying on bare mattress which is unacceptable in my opinion. There were no telephones in the room so we couldn't contact reception. The view was awful (no view) and the noise from the seagulls sitting on the roof outside our window was hideous. The roof also came into effect when the rain started (I know they can't control the weather but ...) Whilst we waited for the coach to take us to the party we sat in the 'bar' area. There was nobody to serve drinks and the fabric seats were stained so I was reluctant to sit down in my nice new party dress!!! The parking is a real nightmare and we used an alternative hotel's car park, which cost £3 (not quibbling about that as it took us from 6pm - 1100 the following day. I have to say that the staff were friendly. We paid £82 for room only, which I think is overpriced for what is essentially a hostel. I would not book again I'm afraid.

Room Tip: I'm not sure what other rooms were like as we literally checked in, got ready, went out, returne...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Louise G
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Stayed with wife and 2 small grand children.Service at reception and in breakfast bar very good.But slightly disappointed with room,pull out bed for child very springy and uncomfortable,carpet was stained and toilet looked like it needed a good bleaching.Used breakfast bar,plenty of choice to fill you up,but cooked food only warm not hot,but service in there very good,young women very helpful.Overall slightly disappointed and will probably stick to Premier Inn in future,which I find better all round.

• Stayed: July 2014