“Fantastic seaside location”

and 1 more site!
Travelodge Scarborough St Nicholas Hotel
Ranked #13 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed 28 August 2014

We chose this Travelodge for a recent trip to the east coast and we are very glad we did. The hotel is in a perfect location, the room was a little dated but very clean and comfortable, perfect size for the 4 of us. The breakfast was really nice and there was a good selection. All members of staff we spoke to were very friendly and welcoming. By far the best part was the stunning view from our bedroom window. Perfect!

1  Thank Lindsay O
Write a ReviewReviews (2,193)

Reviewed 28 August 2014

Stayed here for my birthday this year, had stayed here when it was a hotel quite a few times years ago when my son was younger and even though I think the lodge is clean and okay they have spoilt what was once a lovely hotel by turning it into a lodge. Anyway the lodge is very central to the beach and the centre, we arrived by train but I think if you travel by car it can be tricky parking outside of the lodge. My fiance loved the all you can eat breakfast for £7. Had trouble with the door card constantly which was a pain! Would return to the lodge because of the price and adore Scarborough anyway. Good stay.

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

As it was bank holiday weekend my partner and i chose to stay at the travelodge as we assumed this would be good value for money and offer everything we wanted in a hotel...
This was not the case, our first impression of the outside of the hotel was that is was tiered and out dated although we could have looked past this. There was no parking at the travel lodge and instead was advised to use the local towns multi story car park which was a good 5 min walk with heavy bags.
The entrance to the travelodge was clean tidy and welcoming as could be expected, but checking in although fast was unpersonal and lacked the friendly welcoming other hotels offer.
The lift was noisey and old so we chose to use the stairs. The stairs and hallways smelt damp and mould was growing on the walls and in one part the celing had started to fall down. Thus not a good first impresion. Although arriving at the room it was clean, tidy and fresh. The bathroom was spacious and a large shower with good presure, although did lack a little storage and no hand soap in the bathrooms. On further inspection we found only one half of the plug socket worked, the t.v only had several chanels not the full free view chanels which should be available and the bed was really uncomfortable, dipping down in the middle and forcing the mattras to be flipped in middle of night but did not improve thus a bad night sleep. The wifi was only available free for 30 mins after the initial 30 mins it cost a minimum of £3 a day. Stopping in end room ment it was quiet although seaguls could be herd on a morning but can be expected from the location although double glazing could have helped. The room was cleaned and fresh towels provided daily and tea and coffee making facilities available in the rooms along with extra pillows and towels.
The check out again was fast and hassel free although no effort was made to ask if we had a plesent stay etc as expected from other hotels.
Overall i was very disapointed with our stay and will not be visiting again. Defenatly not value for money and i would not recommend this hotel.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
UK
Reviewed 26 August 2014

This hotel was booked several months ago in conjunction with an event at the Scarborough open air theatre. After a 7hr drive from South Wales on arrival at the hotel I was told there was no parking available and that I needed to 'find' a NCP to leave the car. Whilst understandably it was a Bank Holiday and I expected car parking to be limited it was disappointing that more could not have been done to help me find a space in the hotel.

A very helpful attendant in the NCP (Wilko's) both secured a slot and provided much sought after information on the area - big thank you to him.

The hotel itself is dated, but we did have a fab view of the coast.

The room smelt damp (as did much of the hotel) this maybe due to the lack of double glazing and the condensation on the windows.

I would advise a room away from the lifts as it was very noisy late at night.

On the plus side, was central and easy to get around. Local 'hop on hop off' buses great for getting about and being located in the middle of the 2 beaches made walking about easy.

Not advisable for anyone with mobility issues, as from the front the hotel can only be reached by stairs outside of the tram times.

This was not our number one choice of hotel at time of booking, but for 1 night with limited time in the room it served a purpose.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Rooms clean and tidy . Lift fast for those who need it remember to put your door card in the slot to make it work! The staff will tell you where to park and sell you for £3 a parking scratch off ticket. There is an unloading bay outside which gives you time to check in, take lots of luggage in to your room , purchase a parking ticket and visit the bathroom in the 20 minutes you are allowed, If like us you arrive after 6pm parking where they suggest parking is free till 9am so you scratch off the day the parking charges start on(the day after the evening you arrive) and it will cover you till 1pm the following day so thats 43 hours for £3!!! they will explain this for you. distant sound of seagulls as there should be at the seaside but not loud. Beds very comfy, room large although not much storage if staying for a long time so take a couple of extra coathangers and half an hours free internet connection.near both shops , museums,art gallery and tram or steps down to beach or walk to the south side over the footbridge, Very clean inside although a little tired but due to be refurbished I gather next month

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2014

This was the first time we had stayed at this particular Travelodge. First impressions of outside were it was a bit dated and the same for the hotel room.

The reception area was clean, the staff when we saw them were friendly but in my view they did not have enough staff on. There were times when no one was sat at reception and on the Saturday evening when we had come back from being out, there was one girl trying to run reception and the bar area which in my view is not acceptable. The girl was doing her best under the circumstances of being left on her own.

We had a family room which was at the front of the hotel and the best part we had a fantastic sea view. The room was a good size, as was the bathroom, we had plenty of mirrors.

The downside of the room was that there was not enough storage in the room or bathroom to put anything including towels. There was one towel rail and no hand soap provided. The room could have also done with a hairdryer and the beds could be a lot comfier. My bed was lumpy and I slept badly and my mum's bed was hard. The windows could do with replacing as they were full of condensation in the morning and you couldn't see out without wiping them.

We had drinks in the bar area one night. I found the drinks a bit expensive £3.80 for a bottle of lager when I have been out before and got the same drink for £3. We shared a chocolate cake but did not like it, however we also had pizza another night which was lovely and hot but was a little expensive at over £8.

I know this Travelodge is next for a refurbishment and it really does need it to bring it in to line with other hotel chains like Premier Inn. They could also do with more staff on at all times as we were not the only ones complaining about lack of staff.

We normally stay at Premier Inns as we find these more comfortable and welcoming but tried Travelodge as we couldn't get in at the Premier Inn.

I am not sure whether I would stay here again or not although it might be interesting to see if it improves after the refurbishment.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

We had booked two rooms for two nights for our family and have stayed in quite a few travelodges before.

On arriving at the hotel the first thing you realise is that although parking is available outside the hotel you have more chance of winning the lottery than getting a space. There is a drop off bay right outside the door which gives you 20 minutes in the end we had to park in a pay and display approx 200 meters away which cost us £20.00 for 2 days.

The staff on reception were polite and friendly.

On going into the rooms at first they appeared to be your normal standard Travelodge rooms although both had the curtains closed which seemed unusual. The shock came when I opened the curtains and was greeted with what I can only describe as a view you would expect to see in the slums of the poorest countries of the world. Our view was of the rooms opposite approximately 5 meters away the windows were disgusting, dirty and covered in bird poo it was dark and dismal and the area outside was full of litter and bird excrement everywhere its a good job the rooms were cold as it would have been a major health risk to have had the windows open. Needles to say the curtains remained closed during our stay.

The mattresses on the bed were old tired sagging and needed replacing as did the quilt inside the quilt cover. A good nights sleep was not had.

In our bathroom we only had a shower and not a bath (which I don't have a problem with) although my daughters room had a bath with a shower over it. The bath was blocked meaning it filled up when you used the shower so my daughter had to come and use our shower. Also the extractor fan in our bathroom didn't work so the bathroom and room filled up with steam making it very damp (Hence the damp smell)

The second morning there was no hot water so I had to have a freezing cold shower when we complained to the receptionist we were told that they were aware but couldn't get an engineer for at least 4 hours.

Our overall experience was not very good and I would describe this hotel as DIRE and VILE as previously stated we have stayed in lots of very good travelodges but this one was just appalling I would not recommend this hotel and certainly won't be coming back

Room Tip: Go somewhere else