“Pleasantly surprised.”

Travelodge Scarborough St Nicholas Hotel
Ranked #13 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed 15 September 2010

Stayed here for one night with my husband and young daughter. Definitely one of the nicest Travelodges we have stayed in. Friendly staff, large and comfortable room (with seaview) and a great all you can eat breakfast (highly recommended). The only negative is that there is no on-site parking-we had to use the NCP one a few minutes walk away which isn't ideal. Parking issues aside, for £29-00, we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 14 September 2010

We had very mixed feelings about this place before we went. My friend had stayed and said it was perfectly adequate and seeing as we only paid £35 for the night I wasn't expecting luxury. We had also read the reviews on here so were a little worried.

We parked on the mutli-story at Wilkinsons which was just a 5 minute walk away and £7.20 for 24hrs which we thought was pretty good. We arrived to nice reception area and friendly staff. Good start we thought..then it went downhill from there. The 4 o clock check- in time was ridiculous for a start. Never checked in later than 2pm anywhere before!
We were giver a room on the first floor. Well I say it was a room, we renamed it a prison cell! It was so dark. 2 small windows covered in filth but I guess that was to block out the view which was of brick walls and a broken window and a court yard floor covered in rubbish. I can only assume that they cant get out to this outside area to clean it up. The wardrobe was a piece of 70s formica stuck to the wall which matched the headboard on the bed..nice!! So after a nice meal out and a few drinks we decided to try to sleep. As all the drainpipes were clogged up with rubbish, the rain was coming over and crashing on the ground outside our window all night. This meant we had to keep the windows closed so that then turned the room into an uncomfortable sauna!

Let just say we couldn't wait to leave in the morning..The only positives I can say is that, the bedroom and bathroom were clean and the hotel is in a good location.

I would NOT pay the full £69 for this room or the £35 again to be honest. I guess they reserve the grotty rooms for the people who gets the offers. My friend paid full price so must have got a nicer room.This place really put a dampener on our break. Luckily we had our first night in Whitby at the Leeway which was fantastic.

Seriously dissapointed and I expected a lot more from a travelodge.

1  Thank lynz88
Reviewed 13 September 2010

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in and I will never stay in another Travel Lodge again. There is nowhere to park, the room was dirty, smelt awful, there are no toiletries, no hairdryer, no air conditioning, no shower curtain, nowhere to put smaller items of clothing, our view was of the backyard and a banging fire door made for a sleepless night. We couldn't wait to get out and didn't even stop for breakfast. It felt like we were staying in a hostel. Don't like to write such a bad review, but this hotel could ruin someone's holiday.

1  Thank Fcroton
Reviewed 5 September 2010

enjoyed stay but would have liked sea view.rooms clean and we only stayed 2 nights but room cleaned every day .staff helpful only problem is parking which is expensive in car parks.would stay again as is handy for town.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 September 2010

extremely poor room poor lighting dirty floors facing another brick wall, windows covered in bird poo 3 rooms offered to us, all as bad as each other, the third one you could actually see daylight!

Breakfast edible

1  Thank LAalice676
Reviewed 29 August 2010

Double room like black hole of Calcutta, tiny, dingy and depressing, hardly any natural light. No storage, a rail with 3 coat hangers. Mugs for coffee odd, dfferent sizes, only two tea bags, one plastic chair. Built on about four levels, carpets not hoovered, corridors like a rabbit warren, stairs everywhere, totally wheelchair unfriendly. Parking a nightmare, absolute fortune and only short term. Near town centre/beach but everything else awful, don't go. £65 we paid for room only, absolute rip off would never go again. This hotel gives Travelodge a bad name, go to Premier Inn far superior.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NeilB1005
Reviewed 29 August 2010

I booked with travelodge simply so that I could afford to take my kids away somewhere, and expected nothing more than the usual travelodge room that serves no purpose other than providing a place to sleep and have a shower.

We booked a family room which was £75 a night without breakfast, but still worked out much cheaper than most guesthouse family rooms, and at least it would be clean and comfortable.

Booking in isn't until 3pm, but we traveled light, just a rucksack each, and it wasn't a problem in spite of the rain. We arrived in Scarborough at midday and then went for a pub lunch and explored south beach.

When we booked in, we found we were given a room on the third floor, and it was quite fun exploring the rabbit warren of corridors inside the hotel. The decor internally reminded me of a finding your bedroom on a large car ferry, so it wasn't anything glamorous, and some of the original aesthetics of the building are probably lost (but without damaging it I'm sure). There were loads of doors and it did cross my mind if some rooms perhaps did not have windows, but I don't know.

We found our room quite easily really, and opened the door, not expecting much. We got an amazing surprise! We were met with a beautiful room with a vast bay window that looked right out across the bay. It took our breath away.

Everything was clean and comfortable, and my 2 teenage sons were glad to find that the sofa bed was in fact 2 separate single beds, the smallest of which we wheeled over to the window. So I got the double bed all to myself and they didn't have to share a double.

The large hotel opposite had a noisy wedding disco until midnight and our window didn't shut. This might have troubled some guests but we were fine, being late-owls anyway. Once the disco stopped, the only sounds were the seagulls and the waves, which we all found very relaxing, and we had a wonderful night sleep. We decided to sleep with the curtains open also and were therefore woken by the sight of the sun rising across the sea. We didn't get the breakfast because it seemed expensive to us. We got a better, cheaper breakfast elsewhere for more than half the price.

For us this was a very good experience. We plan to go back, but we are going to be very careful to book in advance and get the same room, because we don't want to risk getting an internal room (if there are any) or ones with no view. Ask for a sea-view if you can and if you get one I think this is an amazing bargain for families.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family