“Not a Travel Lodge”

Ranked #15 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Bristol
“Not a Travel Lodge”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2010

I had to go to Scarborough on a family emergency and booked this hotel as I have stayed in Travel Lodges before and found them ok.

This hotel was as a lot of people say more like a Y.M.C.A. than an hotel with the most basic of ammenities in the room. No phone, plastic glasses in the bathroom and one small bar of cheap soap.

We had asked for a family room as I was travelling with my sister but when we arrived we found that the extra bed had not been made up. After asking at reception we came back to find the sheets etc but we had to make it up ourselves which after reading a lot of reviews seem to be the norm.

This hotel will loose a lot of business when the premier inn opens in the new year.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (427)
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2010

We stayed in a family room and the size was great and the sea views lovely.The staff were very helpful.The room was clean and tidy and clean towels were delivered each day.My gripes are the lack of parking facilities ( it was a nightmare to try to get a place near the hotel) and when we arrived it was pouring down and we got soaked walking back from the NCP car park .The other gripe was the roll together bed,this bed should have been replaced long ago, it was definetly passed its best..I have read some of the previous comments and can only say we got what we paid for.If you want better quality then be prepared to pay for it! We had a good weekend and would go back again!

Southampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2010

We (two adults, one baby) spent one very long night at the Scarborough Travelodge in room 401. The room was incredibly noisy... maybe paper thin walls(?), definitely big gaps under the door - All of the doors on our corridor slammed loudly and when in bed you could hear every literally every word of the conversations of people going back to their rooms.
On top of this, we were provided with a substandard travel cot to use... it had a grubby mattress with hard ridges in it which must have been very uncomfortable for the baby... as it was, we were unable to tell if it was the noise or the lack of comfort which kept waking him up. An appalling night's sleep all round.
The only good comment I can make about this hotel was that the staff on checking in and out seemed very friendly.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Leeds, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2010

My partner had decided to surprise me by taking me to Scarborough as he knew i would like it. We arrived at the hotel at 3.30pm and was seen to by a very helpful women on the reception as we was checking in we got chatting and i told her that it was a surprise and i didn't know what was going on and that this was for my birthday so she upgraded are room and moved us to a sea view room which i thought was really kind of her! we then went up to are room through all the corridors which was clean and well kept and got to are room door opened the door to find the room a disappointment, the room we was in was small and very cold as we walked in the heating was off and the window was open fully now this is the back end of September and it was raining so everyone was cold so it would have made sense to me to go round and put the heating on and close the windows. The room itself was small with a double bed a little table one chair and plastic curtains although it was very clean we did find a wrapper from the people who had been there before us beside the bed and there was a sweet or something stuck to the ceiling which let the cleanliness down! we then went out and then came back to the room later that night and i wanted to get a shower now the shower was lovely the water pressure was fine but the problem was the shower curtain it let all the water out and it not like you could move the head of the shower to stop the water going near it i went down to the reception to see if there was anything they could do and was told there wasn't and gave me some more towels so now i was walking into a small bathroom not been able to wear socks as the floor didn't dry and all the towels were on the floor wet. we then went down for some food but only fancied some chip and onion rings so when they came i tried the onion rings and they were really nice and i was impressed and then i tried the chips which were £1.25 for a small bowl they tasted like there were out of date and were very stale and to top that off tasted awful like they had been on a BBQ even with Mayo on they were awful we couldn't eat them they were that bad my partner eats anything he isn't a fussy eater but they weren't edible which is a shame we then went to the vending machine and had to get crisps and chocolate as we were still hungry i told the receptionist and she said she was sorry but there was no word of a refund! the night was fine there was alot of door slamming and noise from outside the room but other than that i was fine my partner said he couldn't sleep on the bed its wasnt comfortable for him but it was fine for me as i could sleep on a washing line and it wouldn't be a problem! All in all the surprise was great and that receptionist was really nice but cant say that for the rest of the staff! Wont be going back myself shame really as it looks ok from the outside, reception and the corridor

1 Thank Lora1990
UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2010

Simply put, terrible.

Stayed here, booking the very last minute, for a two night break. Price paid was nigh on £95 per night.

Parking outside is pay and display, and always full. Best solution is the NCP round the corner ( closed 11pm to 7am ) which is currently £12.90 for 24 hours.

The Travelodge is grotty and in depserate need of decoration. On arrival, the check in staff were unable to answer some of our questions and told us to come back later.

The room itself was awful. It stank a lot like a hospital corridor, was dark and dingy. The floor was not vacuumed ( see picture ) and I even found someones lost red shirt button on the floor. The bed looked clean until I moved a pillow and found a squashed midge underneath. Generally, the room had scuff marks all around it.

Bathroom was like something you'd expect to get on a value ferry. Stinky grey floor with water marks all round the back of the toilet. Free toiletries were a value bar of soap. No bath, only an admittedly clean shower, with a shower curtain designed to blow into the tiny space and stick to your body.

Quality of sleep was poor - I could hear a neighbouring alarm clock in the morning as was kept awake by the sound of walking feet on the floor above.

For the money, the second worst hotel I have ever stayed in. If you get a £19 deal and need someonewhere to kip and are with mates or alone, do it. If with a partner or can't do anything less than 2 star, avoid like the plague.

There's a premier inn being built around the corner. Wait for that instead.

1 Thank AverageJoeUk
Dublin Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2010

I am just sorry I didn't read the reviews before I booked the Travelodge. . It was the worst place I have ever stayed in. On the plus side, the rooms were clean and the staff were friendly. Apart from that it seemed to me that the Staff were double-jobbing as when you arrived at the Reception on most occasions there was no one there and when you pressed the bell she came running from another part of the Hotel. There again the service was very slow. We had a meal there on the first night and it was awful. I got a child sized portion and the other members of the party commented on how bad the meal was also. The next morning was no better. The hot food for the breakfast was just about lukewarm and not very tasty. Only we had paid in advance and included the breakfast in the booking we would have found somewhere else to eat. We were lucky that we only stayed there for 2 nights but it was 2 nights too many. I would never stay there again nor in any other Travelodge. I will stick with my 4 star Hotels.

1 Thank cosi13
newcastle
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2010

we have visted scarborough many times as my dad lives there, but due to other relatives coming over, we stayed at the Travelodge. It looked really nice from the outside, and in the foyer (we knew parking was a problem before arrival). Once we were told our room No 314 which is on the 3rd floor (we have 2 toddlers, not ideal floor). Once inside the room i was shocked at how basic the room was! it looked like a hostel. The only plus side about the room was that it was clean, thank god! There was no extra bedding for the sofa bed or towels. I had to go back down stairs (as there was no phone) and complain to the reception. The bed was extremely uncomfortable and had to resort to sharing the sofa bed with my 1 1/2 year old while my 2 1/2 year old slept in the bed with my hubby. The parking was terrible and was like trying to win the lotto! we were told we could park in the loading bay outside the hotel from 6pm till 9am. This was fine until our last day when we checked out and found a delightful yellow ticket stuck to our windscreen, issued at 742am!!!!!!!!. Would i use this hotel again?............................only if you paid me. I would rather save the extra bit of money up and stay in a nice b&b.