“Cold and lifeless”

and 1 more site!
Travelodge Scarborough St Nicholas Hotel
Ranked #13 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed 5 November 2010

i've stayed in many travel lodges over the years and they are what i would describe as functional. they are very basic no sparkle just cheap and not so chearful.
I'm not sure how long travel lodge have owned this old victorian era hotel but i was quite exited to think that i was going to a new style of travel lodge no longer the bland boring box they norammly have. but aslas no, they have tried there upmost to turn it into one.
The only thing i can "fault" is the heating it was cold the radiator in the room was not working and it had an electric fire in it. In the bar area you needed a coat to keep warm so this was a bit annoyiny in the autumn.
The Staff were ok, didn't go out of there was but were pleasant enough, the room was basic, the bed was ok, I can imagine it being noisy in the rooms during busy periods as you could hear the doors slamming and there was a half inch gap under the door.
All in all it was a bit like Scarborough Lifeless. We booked 2 nights and decided to leave after 1.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,175)

Reviewed 4 November 2010

this is my first review, the travelodge is everything it says on the website, we had a brilliant time here the location was fab, we had a sea view room , the views were great, the area where the hotel is is just perfect for everything, the staff were realy nice , and would do there best to help in anyway possible, parking is ok, but i got a permit from scarborough council, £20 for five days which was great you could park at whitby and robinhoods bay aswell, the sea walks along the front and along the cliff tops are realy great , we will definatly be going back next year we had a great time, and for those people who complain when they have paid £20 or £30, go and stay at a holiday inn, thanks

Reviewed 29 October 2010

Fantastic value. We paid £40 for one night and that was for both of us. Doesn't get much cheaper than that. The location is excellent and the staff were nice too. The room was clean, the linen was fresh and there was complimentary tea and coffee making facilities.

However, it's a bit grim! It reminded me some rather nasty halls of residence my husband used to live in, right down to the 7am fire alarm (it didn't go off for long and we stayed in bed, obviously having reverted to student mentality. Maybe the other residents were smoking in their rooms with socks over the smoke alarm?). Very grey paint and wood-chip. The orange lighting behind the bed was extremely seedy. Our window looked out onto a courtyard/air shaft of sorts and didn't let in much natural light. You can't run a tab and have to pay for everything upfront. You can hear EVERYTHING; the walls are like paper. There's no parking or permits, but we parked up in the closest NCP which was fantastic value at £6 per 24 hours.

Nevertheless, for a one night stay, perfectly serviceable. Good value, great location.

1  Thank FayeMar
Reviewed 29 October 2010

We stayed at this travelodge for 2 nights earlier this week. We had a family room on the 1st floor at the front of the travelodge with a great sea view. The room was clean, tidy and spacious, we even had our room hoovered, bins emptied and towels changed on our 2nd day and we were only staying for 2 nights.

We had no complaints and we would stay here again.

Reviewed 24 October 2010

A group of 25 of us went to Travelodge Scarborough for my hen weekend. I know it sounds as though it may be manic yet we are all professionals . I organised the booking and arranged and paid for it in a block booking in February for 11 double rooms and 1 family room for 25 places. We were met on arrival by a 'manager' who appeard to have a disgracefull attitude from the moment we arrived. We paid £20 for an early check in and went out for the afternoon to the seafront. We returned around 5 o'clock to be told by the manager that I had only booked 10 double rooms and a family room..leaving 23 places for 24 people as one of us had to stay at home for personal reasons. I had all the paperwork and reference numbers to prove this yet he insisted I was WRONG...IT WAS THERE IN BLACK AND WHITE!!!! We found we were getting nowhere and a girl behind reception stated she would attempt to solve the mystery. We made our way out of the hotel later that evening and returned in dribs and drabs up until 1am...we received no complaints about noise and were very respectful. I found out the next morning that a complaint had actually been made...not about noise but about a member of my group entering another persons room. It was found that the member of our party with no room requested a key to get into this 'solved problem' room that she had paid for, and found that this room had actually been allocated to a lady travelling alone. This room was located amongst the other 11 rooms allocated to my party. I attempted to complain...never got anywhere as I cant locate a head office number, the manager just insisted I was wrong. I even e-mailed all of the 12 reference numbers along with payment details, but received an automated response...and have heard nothing since even though I have carried out this process 3 times. The customer satisfaction survey I sent as requested mysteriously encountered an error if I made a comment, yet sent with no problem with a blank comment box. So as a result, my friend slept on the floor of one of our parties room, another guest was rudely awoken as her room key was given to my friend with no room, and I have had to refund my friend out of my own pocket...regardless of the printout for 12 rooms we were given 11. Also, our window would not close, we had no towels, a family room consisted of a double bed and a matress on the floor, the housekeeping staff took food from our room and the carpet was dirty...nice one Travelodge you have 24 people...plus friends and family who won't stay in your Franchise ever again!!1

• Stayed: June 2010
Reviewed 23 October 2010

Strange that it was cheaper to book this place as three seperate reservations for one night each than one reservation for three nights !.

Saved £50 by doing this so worth the effort.

B'fast at £7-50 is pricey so recommend Weatherspoons as a good alternative. Only problem with hotel was they gave us only one set of towels - but got extra when requested.

Clean,quiet,spacey room with good comfy bed.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 October 2010

My husband and I stayed here from Monday 11 October 2010 to Thursday 14 October 2010. We stayed with an extended group of friends, many of whom had health concerns including me. This always causes worries when travelling away from home. However we need not have worried at all - the staff took care of our every need and we would not have received better service than if we had been staying at a 5 star hotel!

Having read the trip advisor reviews before leaving I felt quite concerned but need not have been. I was given all the extra bedding and towels I needed and enough tea, coffee and milk to host all of Scarborough's cream teas!

The staff were extremely helpful and did everything they possibly could and more to ensure we were comfortable and enjoyed our stay.
Other guests we met whilst staying there seemed more than happy to be there too!

I agree with the comments about the noise through the corridors and bedroom walls. However whenever we travel we use earplugs and eye masks so those problems are easily rectified.

Please remember we are talking about a budget hotel - not the Ritz! - what do people expect for less than £15 each a night?

My husband has worked in the hotel trade for most of his working life and we have been spoilt with staying at some very beautiful hotels but they also come with a very expensive price tag! In many we never received the friendly "can’t do enough for you" kind of service that we received at the Scarborough Travelodge!

Most of the rooms I saw were very spacious and ours had a fantastic sea view and a sofa for no extra cost. The bathrooms were very clean and functional and the shower was extremely powerful to ease away those morning aches and pains!

For me the big downside was the mattress. It was extremely uncomfortable and not very supportive and so Ii did not sleep very well. I was given another duvet to cushion the mattress further and, as I have said, extra pillows, so the staff helped me as much as they could.

Our booking included breakfast and dinner.
I did not go down to breakfast and so cannot comment on the service but my husband was more than contented with what he ate. He brought me up a tray each morning and I had no complaints with the food. He said there was plenty of food and a fair choice especially when you consider you could eat as much as you wanted!
The restaurant service was, in the main, fast and efficient. It is obvious that the meals are pre prepared and just heated through but they were OK and surprisingly tasty. We only had one bad meal with a very soggy pizza and soggy bland chicken burger. Other than that our whole party was very happy with their meals.

Another big plus for such a low priced hotel is its location. Perfect for access to shops and seafront alike and the views were glorious.

So all in all we had a great time and would recommend the hotel to everyone especially for the price!
In fact we have a friend who stays there regularly and is always telling me how friendly and helpful the staff are and how they cannot do enough for her.

So a big thumbs up to the Scarbourough Travelodge and to all who sail in her! Hip Hip Hooray!

• Stayed: October 2010