“Poor management & maintainance - go Haven instead”

Cayton Bay Holiday Park - Park Resorts
Reviewed 12 November 2013

This used to be a Haven park until they sold it off to Park Resorts. The caravan was good (silver plus) and the activities good as always. The whole park just needs better maintainance and cleaning.

The launderette was filthy so my mum complained at reception. The lady said she'd cleaned it the day before, blatant lies!! There was rubbish and soap powder everywhere, the filters in the dryers were full etc.
We had a meal in the resteraunt as we had to wait to check in. Our table was sticky so we moved to another, also sticky. The floor didn't look like it had seen a vac in a while. I do think that the cleanliness of your caravan is pot luck as to which cleaners you get, ours was good every time we've been. They also let far too many people into the pool, my 1yr old screamed as it was too noisy for him and the lifeguard couldn't possibly keep an eye on everyone.

It just seems like the whole place has been neglected since it was sold by Haven. Next time i'll be going to Primrose Valley down the road!

Room Tip: I'd always book a deluxe/silver caravan upwards, or even better go for a private one as they'...
3  Thank elroberts1984
Park R, General Manager at Cayton Bay Holiday Park - Park Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. It was disappointing to read some of the comments and that we let you down during your stay, especially with the condition you found the laundrette in. This should be checked daily and is unacceptable.

It was however pleasing to read that the accommodation was good and you found it to be clean, as well as the activities on park being good.

Regarding the swimming pool, we have strict guidelines in place regarding the number of bathers allowed in the pool and the number of lifeguards required to monitor the bathers. The main responsibility of all children under the age of 8 and non swimmers under the age of 14 is with the parents who must be present in the pool with these children. The lifeguards role is to then monitor the safety of all pool users.

Park Resorts invest large amounts of money each year into the Parks with new facilities, accommodation and general refurbishments as well as small park projects / improvements on-going throughout each year

We hope that if you return to the area you will at least pop in and have a look at the improvements next year and give us another chance to build your confidence with Cayton Bay and Park Resorts.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

I booked my short break through The Sun £9.50 hols and didn't bother to read the reviews until a week before we were due to go. I must say that there were a lot of negatives which didn't fill me with confidence. I was concerned about poor maintenance and poor cleanliness in the caravan as I have a toddler. I took advice and borrowed a plug in heater which I took and I'm so glad I did.
When we arrived to check in it was straight forward and simple and the lady who dealt with us was very friendly and helpful.
Luckily our caravan was right next to the car parking area so I have no problems there although I did see other holiday makers carrying their luggage quite a distance to their caravans.
The moment I was dreading...opening the caravan door and getting ready to head back down to reception with a list of problems but no...we were absolutely over the moon with everything.
It was fresh and clean with a pleasant smell, the beds were freshly made up even though I hadn't requested that, the bathroom was spotless with toilet rolls already in there(convenient) and all the kitchen utensils were immaculate.
We had a problem with the gas fire not lighting with the ignition but this was easily solved as we used matches.
One morning I realised the electric wasn't working so I had to ring security (at 5am) to sort it and the security guy was at our caravan within 5 minutes and sorted it straight away and was very helpful and pleasant even at that time in the morning so thank you Mr Security Officer :)
Thank you also to the maintenance guys who came out to try to sort the fire out for us :)
The kids used the arcade every night and really enjoyed it in there and on our last night me and my partner went into the bar for a meal and a drink. We only had the basic burger and chips but it was absolutely fab! Everything fresh, tasty and value for money. It would probably turn out a bit expensive to feed a family in there but as a one off it was great for us.
As recommended, we nipped across the road to the pub off the site but it wasn't our cup of tea I'm afraid.
The area is stunning although without a car we would have struggled as we went out to various other surrounding areas.
To sum it all up....we stayed in a bronze caravan and it was excellent value for money and I'm glad I didn't upgrade. The site was a very nice site and great for my kids(aged 15, 12 & 1).
We will be back....be warned :)

Room Tip: Take a heater or even two. Pack well in case you have to walk the distance from the car to the cara...
4  Thank Sarah K

Thank you for the great review. It was really pleasing to read that the team were friendly and the accommodation met your expectations, and the few small issues you found during your stay were dealt with quickly and effectively.

We have thousands of guests that visit each year who we get it right with, it’s unfortunate that the negative reviews are more forthcoming, so it’s always nice when people take the time to post positive reviews and we do appreciate it.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 9 November 2013

We had a short break at the beginning of October, the caravan was very poorly maintained, there was no mirror on the bathroom cabinet so my husband had to shave using the glass on the shower cubicle, hooks had partly broken and these had not been removed or fixed. The worst was the shower cubicle that was covered in mould and some of the silicone had started to come away and thy was all covered in mould as well. The residents in the caravans opposite were rude and stared at you when you parked your car as they then couldn't get there many cars parked at the end of the day. We left early as we couldn't stand it any longer. The supervisor came to look at the van agreed there was some mould in the shower cubicle and offered us a free holiday, I wasn't keen on going back so she said that the manager would ring us at home the next day however she never did. We didn't want a free holiday we didn't even want a refund all we wanted was a recognition that the van was not suitable for a holiday let in that condition and an apology but unfortunately that didn't happen. Was so looking forward to our short break just me and my husband and the first time we had ever been to Yorkshire, and spoilt by this holiday park.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank JessAshfordkent

Thank you for the recent review. It was really disappointing to read that we let you down during your holiday with us and I must apologise that you felt we did not deal with your complaint effectively having brought it to our attention

If you could email jon.hodgson@park-resorts.com with your booking reference and / or pitch number I will look into the comments you made and come back to you personally

Reviewed 6 November 2013

We stayed in Pines 50, we privately rented this caravan. It was very clean and well equip with everything you need, such as iron board, iron, toaster, microwave, slow cooker, hoover & even a washer witch was brilliant for us. Each room had radiators so it was lovely and warm although out our stay. The heating system also had timers witch made it easy to set up. It was a 2-3 minute walk away from the club. Kids went to the swimming baths every day an seem to enjoy it, the life guards are very helpful. We ate at the boat house, we got 2 meals for £10 witch was reasonable, we also got a kids meal. I would give them a 6/10 although the bar/waiter staff were lovely and friendly!!
The kids play area was very hectic, again the teenagers where fighting, running round and knocking over the little ones. There was no one supervising the play area at all, how ever the security guard did come in a tell the big ones to leave. I noticed that they also had took the balls from the ball pit out, apparently this is because the teenagers, which i thing is really unfair on the little ones.
The entertainment in the club area was very good and the kids loved it, the drinks at the bar were ok, it was £3.00 for a double house then you paid for the splash., but for a kids 1/2 coke it was £1.95 which i think is a really lot for a 1/2.
We visited the Launderette on the last day to dry all our clothes, the dryers arnt really that good considering it took 3 hours 2 get 1 load dry.. the launderette now has black flooring and you can see every single bit of spillage. Its really untidy.
Over all i would rate our holiday 8/10. We've been comming at least twice a year for the last 20 years, i would say out of all this was the worst holiday out of all. Im not sure with it been the end off season. It also had nothing to do with the weather as it was lovely and sunny!

5  Thank terrib183

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay on trip Advisor. It was pleasing to read that the team were lovely and friendly and the kids thoroughly enjoyed the entertainment. I was disappointed that despite an 8/10 you felt it wasn’t as good as the previous visits and hope that you return soon so we can get back up to 10/10. If you’d like to drop me an email jon.hodgson@park-resorts.com with any feedback that could help us do so please take the time to share your views

Reviewed 5 November 2013

We've just returned from a long weekend at the camp for our end of season morris dancing championships. The caravan we stayed in was fantastic, the entertainment team were great, there was entertainment on every night of our stay. I would like to give a special mention to the lifeguard team at the pool who were very friendly and helpful. They were great with my 6 year old daughter who was a bit wary of going in the water. They even went so far as to provide arm bands for her as we had forgot to pack hers. This meant that our stay was finished off nicely as she was able to have fun in the pool with her friends. The only fault we found was the restaurant didn't smell to good and put us off eating there. Apart from that, we had a great time!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Laura C
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We stayed in a Silver 3-bed caravan in the first weekend of half term, and were surprised to see some of the fairly negative reviews on here.
Yes, the caravan was basic, but overall it was clean - there was just a bit of mould on the single glazed windows and the carpeting was a little old. There was a for sale notice on the front window though, so it looks like the caravan was due to be replaced, along with several others.
The pub food was ok and seemed to be reasonable value for an on site pub, and on the Friday night the entertainment in the bar area was good, although the halloween party on the Saturday wasn't so well organised. Yes the drinks are expensive.
We did have a problem with the caravan fire going out, and as reception was closed at the time let security know, but had no response. Next day mentioned the problem at reception and the service guy was there very quickly, so the earlier lack of service could have just been a communication problem.
The kids all enjoyed the pool area on the Saturday afternoon, and the while the water was a little on the warm side, it all seemed fairly clean.
We booked through hoseasons, not realising this was a Park Resorts site which would have put us off - we had a poor holiday at their Sunny Bay park a few years ago, but this site was definitley better.
The outdoor play area looked new, and if they are investing in new caravans and other improvements, this site makes a good base for Filey / Scarborough / Whitby etc.

Room Tip: We booked a Silver rated holiday home and it was fairly basic, so if you want comforts aim for this...
1  Thank matandsu
Reviewed 2 November 2013

we took this holiday as a replacement for a break we had at Borth at Easter, it was no fault of park resorts that we had a bad holiday then they tried there best with 3 generators but the weather conditions were terrible,they gave us a free break and we had not even complained,we decided to take this break at October half term ,at Cayton Bay as family were going to nearby flamingo land for Halloween,on arrival the camp it had lovely immaculate greens and gardens, we have always wanted to stay here as we have been to blue dolphin often and passed this site. We went reception and was given keys for van 2 on the lovely located kestrel site,on entering the "no pets" van we were mistaken that sheep hadn't been sheared in there,i have photos as i have a dog myself but this was atrocious .you could have bagged it and there was a sweeping brush left in lounge .i wouldn't let children in after the long journey so they sat in the car worried they had no hols as there was no way we could stay in that van. on reporting this at reception we were told that there was nothing that could be done until Housekeeping had been to assess the situation. I attempted to show the woman behind the counter the photographs that I had taken but she refused to look at them and said there was "no point in coming in here shouting" I had not raised my voice at all and was simply trying to show how bad a state the van had been left in. We returned to the van and in a few minutes Kim from the housekeeping team came along. She was completely understanding and agreed that the van should not have been left in such a state, she explained that It was a private van and the owner had a large white dog and that the cleaning crew had reported to her that the carpet needed cleaning and the van should not have been released for occupancy. She identified an alternative van for us just a few pitches away and made sure that everything was OK for us before she left. Kim was a joy to deal with and Park Resorts are lucky to have people like her working for them, they just need to ensure that the young woman who was checking guests in on arrival has some idea of how to deal with people as her customer service skills leave a lot to be desired. Simply talking over people and refusing to acknowledge they may have a legitimate complaint is not customer service. Thankfully the employee in question left on the Wednesday, hopefully to find employment that suits her talents better, maybe she could contemplate the prison service. Get more people like Kim Park Resorts, and we will be back as your parks and locations are excellent.

2  Thank Steven P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scarborough
The Crown Spa Hotel
Travelodge Scarborough St Nicholas Hotel
Skipsea Sands Holiday Park - Park Resorts
The Sands - Sea Front Apartments
Barmston Beach Holiday Park - Park Resorts

Been to Cayton Bay Holiday Park - Park Resorts? Share your experiences!