“Unacceptable Attitude”

Cayton Bay Holiday Park - Park Resorts
Reviewed 17 May 2014

We have been going to Cayton Bay for about 6-7 years always booking private caravans and very much like the actual camp as it is very clean and in a really nice position. This year we booked a really nice private caravan which was new last year and particularly booked this one as we are a couple in our mid 70s and it had free standing furniture which was necessary as I have arthritis and find it easier to negotiate, nice big television and generally really nice and as this will probably be our last year in Yorkshire as it is a 5-6 hour journey for us. However 5 days before we were due to go we had an email from the owner to say that the caravan had been flooded 5 weeks previously by Park Resorts and had not been fixed. They were told not to cancel their guests as Park would supply a caravan of equal standard. The caravan they gave us was nowhere near the standard we had booked and not even adequately equipped. It was supposed to be a Gold Plus. When I complained in Reception I was told that this was the only one they had. Their attitude was that my complaint was with the owner but they seemed to forget that this was Parks Resorts fault in the first place!! I was told by Hayley that " I would HAVE to like the caravan as I have got nothing else to give you" and when I told Debbie that I was going to complain to Head Office she said "Go and write your letter to Head Office because I am not talking to you any more" The manager just sat in his cosy office and would not even come out to see me. Disgusting attitude!! They seem to forget that this is a dispute between the Owner and Park Resorts and we were just the mugs in the middle who paid them our hard saved money. BEWARE anyone booking a Gold plus Caravan with Park because it is not luxury - I had to ask for basic things like a toilet brush and a broom.. There were 3 saucepans with no lids and when they sent the lids they didn't fit the saucepans. The television was about a 15". The only plus point about it was that it was clean. Our holiday was completely ruined by all this and we are really disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pamela B
Park R, General Manager at Cayton Bay Holiday Park - Park Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Thank you for your recent review. I was really disappointed to read your feedback.

You had a private booking with a caravan owner on park, and unfortunately due to flood damage they were unable to use or rent their caravan. This issue was beyond the owner’s control so to avoid any inconvenience we sited one of our sales units to accommodate both the owner and their private guests in the short time it was unavailable. I apologise that the unit was not exactly the same, we did everything we could to accommodate both the caravan owner and indeed yourselves, but we only have a small selection of caravans suitable for replacement as they can sell from week to week, which did happen even in the short time it was off line.

I can assure you that had I been available to see you I would have done. Unfortunately it was my day off on the Friday that you checked in, but I was available for the rest of the weekend had you wished to see me in person.

With regards to the missing inventory items, I apologise that there were items missing, this was an oversight as it was a sales unit sited to accommodate private guests but should have been checked more carefully to ensure it had all the correct inventory.

Once again we would like to offer our most sincere apologies regarding this matter.

01723 583 111

Write a ReviewReviews (1,782)

Reviewed 16 May 2014

Caravan was basic but clean with all the amenities that we needed. The evening entertainment was great for the kids and ok for adults as it was during school time it was very quiet but we joined in with the competitions, bingo, dancing etc. The alcohol wasn't too dear either costing only £10 for a bottle of house wine. The swimming pool was also clean, it had a slide that was open at certain times and also did activity sessions with inflatables, it was quite small so may become crowded during high seasons. If you want a holiday on a budget with free entertainment and swimming then I would recommend visiting here.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Park R, General Manager at Cayton Bay Holiday Park - Park Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Thank you for your review. It was really pleasing to read that the caravan was clean with all the amenities that you needed, the evening entertainment was great for the family and that you found the swimming pool to be clean. It is always appreciated when people take the time to share their enjoyable experiences and we learn a lot from the constructive feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon

Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

Just this minute got back from a 4 day stay in bronze accommodation. Me my partner and 19 month old child really enjoyed it. There was enough entertainment on for children both through the day and on an evening and the boathouse restaurant served good food for cheap prices. 2 breakfasts for £6 including tea and toast. We enjoyed it that much we've booked to go again next year. Hopefully the caravan and everything will be same as it's better than I expected.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the great review. It was extremely pleasing to read that you had a fantastic holiday with us and we appreciate the great feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon

Reviewed 13 May 2014

GStayed 4nights with partner, 2 children and dog in bronze caravan,must say wasn't expecting much as it was bronze but I was shocked it was clean tidy and very warm despite the cold weather! No problems with facilities in caravan although it could use new carpet as it looked very warn.
We did not use the pool so can't comment on this although my child had accident in play area and had first aid of 2 very friendly lifeguards
the entertainment on a night time was good although some stuff repeated most night but my children enjoy it and the team stars are very funny especially tamwarth
We ate in the boathouse restaurant a couple of times and the food there is lovely and reasonable price lots of offers (2 for £6 breakfast)
the karaoke on a Friday night is a laugh and I must say amy and hal hayleyey on the bar are very friendly and bubbly staff as I promised them a mention on here
All in all a really good holiday would recommend to friends

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Eddie G

Thank you for the great review. It was really pleasing to read that the caravan was clean, tidy and very warm despite the cold weather. We will have a look at the carpet - if you could please email me at jon.hodgson@park-resorts.com with the booking reference number or pitch number that would be greatly appreciated.

We share all feedback with the team and I know it means a lot when their efforts are recognised and appreciated, so thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Great pool for kids everything else poor - food cold - staff attitude poor - grounds poorly maintained everywhere water logged - no paths to caravan doors so when wet very messy - seats in club house very stained - caravan interior could be better

• Stayed: May 2014

Thank you for your recent review. It was pleasing to read that the swimming pool was great for the children, but really disappointing that you found the food to be cold and the attitude of the staff to be poor.
All the feedback we receive is helpful to ensure that we learn and improve, so I appreciate you taking the time to share your comments. Whilst we have no control over the weather and the grass being wet, I will have a look into the comments regarding the complex seats as we had a contractor in last week to deep clean the ones that had some marks on them, so thank you again for bringing this to my attention.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

the site is well situated for both scarborough and filey .the site is well maintaned..the biggest letdown with this site is the accomodation ..this time of the year you would think they would put you in a van with at least heating in the main bedroom and the bathroom ..cost me £20 quid for a halogen heater to heat the passage to to the bedrooms and bathroom..we only booked the bronze fair enough but other people we talked to on site some had upgraded and they were in the same sort of van we were in..extorsion prices for drinks like drinking water..entertainment did not exist..tip go across road to the towbar inn good meals and crack plus sport on tele.. this is put on in all honesty from a 65/64 year old couple who have been on nearly every park resort site in yorks and links..

Room Tip: do not bother go to southview at skeggy
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent holiday. It was pleasing to read that you found the site to be well situated for both Scarborough and Filey, as well as being well maintained.

It was however disappointing to read that the caravan did not meet your expectations - unfortunately the Bronze caravans do not have heating in the bedrooms or bathroom and the heaters are rented out as an optional extra, but we take the feedback on board.

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments, and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

Wen u go to the bar make sure u get served by mitchell hes a sound lad also OJ in Sparkys shop is very helpful n friendly. The staff overall deserve alot of praise as it them that keep the place running. Others that deserve praise are Hayley and Emily, the barmaids!

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank mattcade

Thank you for your recent feedback. I will pass on your praise as I know that the team definitely appreciate such positive comments.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

01723 583 111

Also consider these accommodations in or near Scarborough
The Crown Spa Hotel
4 mi away
The Sands - Sea Front Apartments
Barmston Beach Holiday Park - Park Resorts
Crows Nest Caravan Park

Been to Cayton Bay Holiday Park - Park Resorts? Share your experiences!