“Excellent”

The Headlands Hotel
Ranked #10 of 183 Scarborough B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 August 2013

This is the second time we have stayed in the family room at the headlands and again we left happy guests. Room spacious and spotless and good nights sleep had by all, breakfast spot on.
Free wifi connection kept our boys happy and a decent pint in the bar worked for me.

Will be returning again , thanks to all

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Gilly999, Owner at The Headlands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Thank you so much for your fabulous review. It was great to see you all again and most gratifying to see guests return to stay with us, hopefully it means we are doing something right. Keep well and it would be fantastic to see you all next year.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

We have just returned from a 3 night stay here.The owners were very friendly, the room was clean and spotless with en suite, constant hot water especially in the shower. The bed was very comfortable. We had a view of the sea and the castle. there was tea/coffee making facilities in the room plus tv and free connection to Wi Fi. There was ample wardrobe and drawer space. The breakfast was first class, a selection of cereal,fresh and dried fruit, fruit juice, a good selection of jams and marmalade also a good choice of cooked breakfast, full English recommended. Would definitely recommend **** North cliff. Situated in a quiet area yet just a five minute stroll from the beach and all other attractions and amenities like Peasholm Park, and The Open Air Theatre. It takes a good half hour stroll to south cliff where there are plenty of shops ,bars and restaurants. overall we had a great stay in Scarborough and visited Whitby too.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you ever so much Paula for the excellent comments in your review and for taking the time to post it, we really do appreciate it. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us here at The Headlands and we enjoyed your company tremendously. We very much hope to see you both again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 14 August 2013

We booked two rooms for the four of us for our day and evening in Scarborough. I booked by phone and the proprietor advised me it was a quiet location and so it was....... a good night's sleep ensued (except for my son's wheezing! See below).

However, the rooms were a bit of a squeeze (but we could manage) and the bathrooms a real let down - tiny boxes containing just a shower and no bath. The showers were a pain - always running too hot or too cold and needing constant adjustment; in fact, in one room, it was impossible to keep to a safe temperature for more than a second or two..... could have been dangerous for a child..... such that it was impossible to use. We had to share the one in the other room and had too busy a schedule to bother informing management and waiting to get it fixed.

The rooms seemed quite clean but after my eldest happen to bash a cushion, we found the dust levels in the one room to be such that it brought on an athsma attack in my youngest son. I then checked and reckon there was quite a bit of dust in the cushions and curtains.... easily fixed though.

Breakfast was excellent with a great selection and good quality. The staff were friendly and very willing to provide a variation to the menu.

I would return if I was in Scarborough again...... but only if there was not availability in hotels with better bathroom facilities.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Gilly999, Owner at The Headlands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay with us even if it wasn't entirely positive. I appreciate your comments about the quality of our breakfasts and the friendliness and willingness of the staff. Now if I may I would like to turn to your negative comments. You mentioned that you found the cushions and curtains were quite dusty, however I have to say that having checked them myself I didn't find that to be the case and certainly no worse than you would probably find in your own home. You also mentioned that the shower in one of your rooms was impossible to regulate. Again having checked it myself I couldn't find a problem. It is strange that no one before or since has mentioned it. Even stranger is your comment that because of your "busy schedule " you couldn't be bothered to mention it to the management if as you say " it could be dangerous for a child. " You had plenty of time to mention it at breakfast when I was talking to you or when you were checking out or indeed when you came back later in the day to use the toilet !!

Reviewed 21 July 2013

Recently stayed here for one night with my son. Dave was very friendly and helpful on our arrival, and as we were only staying one night we did not sample the lounge or bar facilities so I cannot comment on them. The breakfast was nice, but having sampled a fair few hotels and B&B.s (see my recent review of The Old Bakery at Pulham Market) it was what I would expect and nothing more.
The reason that I would not stay here again was the cramped room, which would have been OK but for the en suite bathroom which is the smallest that I have used. Other people have mentioned this, but for a six footer like me it was seriously impractical.
The hotel is very clean but sadly I shall not return

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Gilly999, Owner at The Headlands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2013

Thank you for your comments about your stay, we're always pleased to receive feedback from our guests even when it's not entirely positive, it's one way to learn and hopefully improve.
I am very pleased that you found us friendly and clean which is the very least guests have a right to expect . Now if I may I would like to address some of your other comments, principally about the size of the room and ensuite. We do have bigger rooms at the rear of the property with bigger en-suites, but a lot of our returning guests request the room you stayed in because of the sea views, so it is a trade off really. Whilst admitting that the en-suites are not the biggest to suggest that ' for a six footer it was seriously impractical ' is to put it frankly simply not a true reflection.
Next can I turn to your comment about the breakfast. As you can see from previous reviews on Trip Advisor and many other websites we generally get high praise for our breakfasts but seeing as you mention The Old Bakery at Pulham Market by name can I just say you are hardly comparing like with like. They are a 5 star Gold Award listed building with 5 bedrooms, whilst we are a 4 star seaside B&B who are not trying to be anything else,but are just endeavouring to offer clean and friendly accommodation for a reasonable price.
I am sorry that you will not be returning to our establishment, but I guess it's true what they say you can't please all the people all the time.
Regards Dave & Gill.

Reviewed 18 July 2013

We arrived after 9pm but that was no problem at all. We were shown to an immaculate double room and when we arrived back at 1030 pm fancied a drink. The owner served us even though we were the onle ones in the bar and made us feel very welcome. The breakfasts are really good with cereals a plenty of of course the the good old english breakfast and a good vegetarian option as well. only needed one night but will definately use this place again

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Gilly999, Owner at The Headlands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2013

Thank you ever so much for the super comments in your review and very pleasing to see that you will use us again. It was a pleasure chatting to you both in the bar and we would be delighted to see you back here.
Regards Dave & Gill.

Reviewed 15 July 2013

We stayed here for one night as we needed somewhere to stay after we had been to see Leona Lewis at the Open Air Theatre.

Checking in was painless. Dave was very friendly and made us feel at ease straight away as he showed us to our room.
We booked a double room but on arrival were shown to a family room. Bonus. A nice large, clean room with everything you'd expect. Comfy bed, and a nice quiet room on a night even with the windows open as it was a super hot night! Breakfast was good and checking out a doddle. The hotel is within a five minute walk of both the open air theatre, Peasholme Park and the North Bay. Would certainly stay again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Gilly999, Owner at The Headlands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2013

Thank you very much for the fantastic comments in your review, its very gratifying that you enjoyed your trip and that Leona was on top form. We would be delighted to see you both again next time there is something you fancy on at the OAT, or indeed for any other reason.

Reviewed 12 July 2013

We had a very comfortable 3 night stay here. We arrived to a warm greeting, the bed was comfy, the whole hotel was spotlessly clean, the breakfasts were delicious. The lounge/bar is large, with comfortable seating. It is surprisingly quiet, as the weather was so beautiful we had the windows open all night and were not disturbed by noise at all. Gill and Dave and the breakfast girls were all very friendly and it was a pleasure to chat with them. If you want a good B&B in Scarborough, this is it!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you ever so much for your excellent review, we are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope that we will see you both again in the not too distant future.