“ANOTHER TOP WEEKEND AT THE DELMONT”
Review of Delmont Hotel

Delmont Hotel
Ranked #21 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Just back from another first class weekend at the Delmont in this case a comedy weekend highlighted by appearances from Mark Bailey ,Johnnie Casson and Mick Miller. Harry and Joy and their staff worked very hard indeed to make this weekend a success and I know I am not the only one who appreciated it.
As ever the food was excellent, the staff were great and the accommodation was more than satisfactory.
Now, having read some of the adverse comments about the Delmont, many of which I feel are grossly unfair -and certainly there is never any need in my view to make personal comments about people who work there-I would like to add a few views of my own,

Last week, as you will see from my reviews, I was in Glasgow and stayed at a city centre Ibis hotel and as my review says, everything was fine. But, from the moment you check in to the hotel, then go deep into the building to locate your room, to the moment you check out, it feels so impersonal somehow, like you are just a number.

In contrast the Delmont Hotel is a family run business, It is not part of a chain. It has its own style, its own quirks. The owners will greet you by name, they will know what you like, they will ask you what sort of entertainment they should be putting on in future.

The comments made by some other people about the Delmont and its staff really are completely at odds with my own view. I have always found Harry and Joy and their family and staff to be very friendly and helpful and this weekend was no exception to that.

Keep on doing what you do at the Delmont guys. You'll never please everyone we all know that, but for me you are doing a very good job already.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank John H
ScarboroughJoy, Owner at Delmont Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

thanks a million for your lovely comments John glad you enjoyed the weekend.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

Stayed in hotels all over the country, the Delmont is a good basic value for money hotel, the food, the staff, the accommodation was exactly what we expected plus great cabaret entertainment played to a full house, where else in Scarborough could we have got such value at this time of the year.

Room Tip: Panoramic sea views from rooms at front of hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank john f

thanks for your comments we are really glad you enjoyed the weekend Choo Choo!!

Reviewed 8 March 2014

Do not stay in room 106 beds and pillows from nineteen hundreds so uncomfortable, no room over sink to even brush your teeth, shower seen better days to say the least. On the plus side no problem getting tea and coffee replaced in your room and food very good. Hotel in general so tired.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank gav999

thank you for taking the time to let us know your compliants we have taken your comments on board

Reviewed 5 March 2014

Owner should try staying in one of her own rooms for the night(106 OR NUMBER6) as these are the rooms i can comment on, beds are so bad had to sleep with blankets folded underneath me and my coat over me during the night. The shower door hanging off in room 6 this hotel is really tired, We were led to believe there would be entertainment 1st night none 2nd night no one booked so the girl on duty managed to get someone last min, by the 3rd night people had found other places to go, so only a handfull of people left in hotel for rubbish entertainment.Positive side is food was better than expected.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Valerie o

we are sorry you feel as strongly as you do about our hotel, we do ry our best to make your stay enjoyable but sometimes we just cannot win. wehave taken your comments on board.

Reviewed 1 March 2014

After reading some of the reviews we were a bit worried about staying in the Delmont. But we could not fault it. The food was very good and we will certainly be returning again. The staff were very helpful in every way.

Room Tip: we had room 107 which had a sea view and was large and sunny.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Mary H

thankyou so much for lovely comments and managing to put things back in perspective. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you again at the Delmont

Reviewed 23 February 2014

I have just returned from an overnight stay there, not through choice but as part of a Travelstyle tour.
Wanting to write a review I read through others first and that confirmed EXACTLY what I thought, the owner (apparently named Joy), is the rudest person I have come across in a long while, the woman takes every query as a direct insult and is very vocal in giving her response, my fellow travellers and I were herded to dinner seats, told exactly where to sit, e.g all together, not allowed to go near the window seats, think they were only for what she believes are 'proper guests', not us (made to feel inferior) coach trippers. We did as we were told and chose from a menu, I ordered the rather exotic sounding Hawaiian cocktail, turned out to be a small selection of TINNED fruit! The next thing was the steak & ale pie which was nice and to finish I left a burnt apple crumble/ custard offering. We were waiting for our fourth course (as stated in their leaflet) but when asked Joy went off on one immediately, stating it wasn't her fault but Travelstyle had only booked us 3 courses, Travelstyle brochure said 4, we had no choice but to accept that and so asked for our after dinner Tea & Coffee, she said yes...£1.50 for a cup of tea and £1.70 for a coffee!!!! I have NEVER known any hotel not to provide these free after a meal, damn cheek!
Reading her replies to others who dare criticise (see reviews dated 27&28/10/13 & 13/11/13) shows her disgusting attitude, how DARE the woman suggest paying customers should not use budget priced hotels, let me remind her, she's in a job where she should care ABOUT all her guests and be at least a bit courteous, noticed that she only responds to complaints on here, doesn't care at all to say thank you to those who had positive comments.
And it shouldn't matter if a hotel charges £1,000 or £20 a night, they are PAYING guests and courtesy costs NOTHING!
Breakfast herding to tables this morning was disgraceful, an older couple travelling with their daughter assisting them were actually split up and put on separate tables to keep all our tour together at the back, there were plenty of tables those 3 people could have sat together at and they were too polite (or embarrassed) to complain, Joy, you should be ASHAMED of yourself for that.

To conclude, this stay thankfully came to an earlier end than expected when our coach driver told us that the hotel was suddenly closing at 10.30 a.m for a few weeks, I hope if it does eventually reopen it is WITHOUT that woman, she is obviously in the wrong job and ruining the reputation of a hotel which although a little dated has some pleasant staff who do their very best to make guests feel welcome.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
12  Thank Sue W
Reviewed 23 February 2014

dirty, just filth. the carpet in our room was not even hovered, the bathroom was so dirty, years of grime ground into the grout, the flooring did not fit, the carpet in the bedroom was stained, the bed linen was torn the blanket I had to remove from the bed as it was too bad. the kettle went on and off on its own.
The only good thing about the hotel was the view. never ever have I stayed at such a dirty hotel.

Room Tip: don't bother
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple