“Birthday weekend” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #22 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Birthday weekend”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

stayed for the spring bank weekend 24th may 2014 to 26th may 2014, for my birthday with friends. Paid for a front facing superior room, only given a side sea view regular room. The hotel is filthy, in need of a major refurbishment, our room was dirty , tired, very run down £140.00 for 2 nights was way over priced and does not warrant a 3 star rating . Breakfast was appalling and yet the hotel was full to capacity, we did rather feel that we were staying in a saga hotel as the average age was probably 75 plus. would not use this hotel again.

Room Tip: do not book this hotel
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank lesley0360

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

The hotel is in a lovely location overlooking the North Bay, Scarborough. The staff were very friendly and helpful. I had a full breakfast each morning I was there and it was always hot and plentiful. Didn't have to wait long to be served. The bedroom was clean, light and airy and the bed very comfortable. I couldn't ask for more. Thank Delmont Hotel!.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Margella2014
Prestonpans, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights last weekend with our family. 10 of us in all including 4 kids aged 6,4,2 and a 3 month old baby. Only fault we had was the room my daughter, partner and baby got. Very small with a sloping floor that also made the bed slope! Not good. Then got offered an attic room so my husband and I took that one as there was no room for the carry cot. However next morning we got premier room same as the rest of the family. As for the hotel being dirty and smelling like an old peoples home - what utter nonsense. The place was gleaming and I'm not exaggerating. I also don't think quite the nice thing to say about old people's homes. I'm surprised Trip Advisor allow that. Apart from the first room not good everything else fine with lovely well cooked breakfast. That just got spoilt first night by the obnoxious people on hen and stag dos. Banging on the door of room 207 next to my daughter with the baby who was awakened by it. Another couple had a barney about the same time and he stormed off in his car revving it up. At breakfast next morning the stag and hen groups were seated behind us and were using foul language and making obscene gestures- all within sight and hearing of our kids. We complained to the waitress who said she would speak to management. Nothing was done and when we asked were told would be spoken to after breakfast. Not good enough! Kids were there and these horrible people should have been removed immediately. A bit later same people were sitting in the lounge quite happily. They were leaving anyway and when we asked the guy on reception who seemed to be in charge at the time if they had been spoken to he didn't know what we were talking about. I think the staff just thought they're leaving anyway but they should have been turfed out in the early hours in the morning and definitely during breakfast! Other guests were talking about it too and won't be back. I know the owners can't help what some guests are like but when they are as bad as this and spoiling things for your other guests then you kick them out.

Room Tip: Take a premier room. Not much difference in price and all 3 rooms we had were excellent. The other r...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank hezzy
hull
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

We arrived here around lunchtime-ish so obviously our room wasn't ready yet. However, we could leave our luggage until it was so we could go for a wander. It would have been better if there was a luggage holding room instead of a cubby hole but at least there was somewhere to leave it. We found our room to be a good size and comfortable. The tv was a bit on the small side and we had to pay a £10 deposit for a remote at reception but this was returned when we gave the remote back when we checked out so no great hardship. The room had fantastic views, we couldn't fault the sea view. However I did think the room was arranged a bit strangely in that the toilet although within the room was seperate from the shower room. I thought the water pressure was low and the temperature was a bit hit and miss but we were on the top floor. The room was clean and we had everything we needed, all I will say is that I would have preferred glasses in the shower room instead of plasic cups. Every day the room was serviced but I don't think it was dusted, only the beds made, shower room cleaned (no new plastic cups) and hospitality tray replenished. We did find that the room was cold and mentioned it to reception twice although it did get sorted. I did find it odd that the heating was on a timer and not just on a thermostat like everywhere else I've stayed. The window was drafty which made the room even colder so we had to make a makeshift draft excluder so the room could warm up. Once it did it was quite cosy.
The food was nice, it got better as the week went on. I thought there was ample choice for dinner. I didn't like having to order my evening meal after breakfast though, I would have preferred to order it in the evening.
The lounge areas (there are three lounge rooms) are quiet, comfortable and really nice rooms to sit in.
The staff were friendly and helpful. My only complaint would be that at breakfast one morning one of the waitereses dripped hot coffee down my daughters back, she neither noticed nor apologised. I didn't make a fuss about it because she wasn't scolded by the coffee or anything, it was just a bit careless. Perhaps a bit more attention could be paid when carrying hot items.
All in all not a bad stay but not my favourite stay either.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank grumpymum77
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

Absolutely appalling hotel. Disgusting cleanliness. Obnoxious, rude and arrogant Manager. Stomach flipping bin views. Old people home smell. Pubic hairs in the bath. Disgraceful health and hygiene standards. Room door left open after being "serviced" while we were out in Scarborough for the day. Not even worth the £35pn budget price. Hated it and it spoiled our holiday with our 1 year old.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
11 Thank Sarah B

Travellers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Swadlincote, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

This hotel, I would imagine would be great if you were over 70. We unfortunately weren't. The hotel is pretty grubby, our hotel room (although cheap) was pretty awful. Dated and nicotine stained is how I would describe. I would imagine that the rooms on the front would have a great view, we however were shoved in the back with a great view of the bins. Everything is centred around old folk, even the "entertainment" (I use the term loosely). We took a funny view of the place though and were still able to have fun.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank soxandmoo
Widnes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

We had a four night stay here March 31st-April 4
First impressions of the hotel were not good however we were pleasantly surprised we were given a lovely room( the view would have been lovely but for the smog NOT the hotels fault)
The food was very good and the entertainment was also good. We thought the hotel WAS very good value for the money and the staff were at all times friendly and helpful.
We made some good friends and had some great company thank you

Room Tip: Room 105 we found to be great with a good view weather permitting
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family