“could be perfect”

Ranked #93 of 183 Scarborough B&B and Inns
lancashire
“could be perfect”
Reviewed 10 July 2012

This is lovely shore front accomodation in lovely scarborough and has potential to be one of the best in the area and it's almost there. We booked a two night stay for my birthday in June this year and booked the barbossa suite. We arrived very early to get a much desired parking spot, alas we still ended up parking on the coastal road around the corner for 6 pound a day. We decided to check out the Ivy's breakfast before having a wander before check in. Breakfast was okay, nothing special. I enquired with staff where I should book in later. The response was priceless, a shrug and "i'm not sure, try round the other side" the counter I assumed. not the best first impression, from that moment we felt more of a hindrance if we approached staff so tried not to.

We arrived at check in and the room was not yet ready, no great shakes, we could wait. The room was lovely. There was an information pack but unfortunately on further inspection this just contained leaflets for local attractions, very little about facilities during your stay. Could we order food from downstairs but eat in our rooms? likewise for drinks? I'm not sure, I would have asked but staff, who granted were busy driving in cafe, we're not the most approachable.

The carpet in the room was a lovely plush deep red carpet which was a bit magnet, so a little disappointing it wasn't hoovered at all during our stay. Despite my birthday cards being in the room and my partner making it clear the booking was to celebrate my birthday there was no complimentary wine as mentioned in other reviews.

the service at breakfast was hit and miss, as was the breakfast, no clear menus for choice and full breakfast missing items. don't get me wrong this is a great place to stay and I would return, perhaps I am being picky but if they could fine tune the attention to detail it could be a real gem.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank poeticjustice2008

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
bridlington
Reviewed 27 May 2012 via mobile

We stayed in the newly refurbished Captain Barbossa suite and we were not dissappointed, the bathroom with roll top bath is spacious and spotless, the room is luxurious and beautifully decorated, the view over the harbour is wonderful, we appreciated the complimentary wine, slippers and bathrobes, everything it tastefully done and we would definitely come back. It really is one of the nicest rooms we have stayed in.

It seems petty to mention the next morning, but unfortunately it did take the edge off our stay, on going into the cafe for breakfast, we were told(without a smile or good morning) "ive set tables in the other room, they have your room no on the table" no offer to show us. then there was a small menu offering choice of cereals, toast then cooked breakfast, we asked for toast first but the lady just asked if we wanted our eggs fried or scrambled and no indication of what the cereals were or where we could get any? is there usually an option of fruit juice? and all we got was the breakfast with a slice of toast on the plate. Despite there only being one more couple having breakfast I just got the feeling the lady serving either didnt want us to be there or didn't want to be there herself, which is such a shame, I wish we had had the smiling waitress mentioned in previous reviews. In our room I asked my husbands opinion of service at breakfast, and he said he felt most unwelcome there too, I gave it one more try when handing in the key with my biggest smile, but unfortunately it wasnt returned, I think when youve paid £130 for a night's stay, hospitality is as important as the quality of the room. The cafe is clean and beatifully decorated too but I wont be in a hurry to eat there when we visit for the day due to the cool 'reception' received.

• Stayed May 2012
4 Thank rosebudBridlington
Derby
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Stayed for just one night, we were made very welcome, the room was clean and well decorated with a great view over the harbour, Breakfast excellent (but not available until 9.30am). I don't think it could be bettered for location, standard and value for money

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Philip060
Thirsk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2011

I do not think you will be able to find better bed and breakfast accommodation in Scarborough. Allison, the owner, ensured that we had everything to make us comfortable and the food was excellent. All the staff were more than helpful and we thorughly enjoyed our stay. Rooms are superb ( and the sun was shining while we were there)

Room Tip: They are all good.