“Summer break” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Barnsley
“Summer break”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2013

This hotel is of a very good standard the bedrooms are very good the meals are great and the staff cannot do enough to provide a first class service and the food and choice is very good this is a credit to the owners the sea views are brilliant

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank david s
Craig B, Manager at The Mount Hotel, responded to this review, 8 June 2013
Thank you for your kind comments and and score,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2013

My first ever stay at the Mount Hotel came about by complete accident.As a 21 year old Sales Manager I was attending a two day conference on psychometric selling techniques at the nearby Grand Hotel.
A colleague and I had arrived late thanks to the inevitable traffic hold ups, traffic jams that used to plague the A64 all through the summer in the 60's,70's and 80's,so went straight into our conference without booking in.Being my first ever conference I was excited but also nervous about being the youngest manager there.That first day dragged on from 9.00am, with a short lunch break at 1.00pm for half an hour before continuing until almost 8.00pm when we finally adjourned for a post first day meeting which took us to a little past 9.00pm.It had been a long day so all I wanted to do was get to my room,have a sandwich,a cup of tea,then go to bed.My colleague and I were pre booked into a twin room so we headed out to reception to pick up our key.
That's when our problem started!
Imagine our surprise and disgust when were were told that we'd been double booked and our room had gone to a young couple at lunch time.We were even more upset when the clerk told us that,as it was the height of the season they didn't have another twin room or even two singles that we could have. By this time it was almost 10.00pm.We'd been on the road at 7.00am and were both tired and hungry.What were we to do.We needed a room or rooms somewhere?
Outside it was lashing it down as it often does on summer nights in Scarborough.Struggling with our briefcases and a pair of two suite rs,our only luggage,we ran across the road and tried two separate hotels with no luck,although a guest in the second hotel did tell us about a place around the corner so off we set in the rain again.
When we got to Cliff Bridge Terrace I remember seeing the Mount lit in all its glory looking like a beacon in the storm.
Now I'd been going to Scarborough with my parents since I was a baby in a pram up to the age of 17.After that I used to go with my friends to the famous Scarborough Cricket Festival.In fact I was due there again in August, but as we'd always stayed at what my mum used to call the "quiet side",The North Bay,near Peasholm Park, I'd only ever seen the Grand and the Mount from the beach far below on the way to the Spa.Up close the Mount looked a huge and very imposing building.It still does to this day with its white stone walls and large windows facing the sea.
We approached up the marble steps to the double front doors our hearts hammering.What would the people in this magnificent place think of two bedraggled souls who looked like a pair of drowned rats.Would they allow us in?
i know now that we needn't have worried at all!
When I rang the bell the door was answered by a tiny slightly built lady with a big dog by her side.When she spoke to ask how she could help she answered with a Scottish voice I'll never forget until my dying day."Oh you poor boys she lamented kindly."Come on in out of that terrible rain and lets see what we can do.Come on don't mind the dog" she said turning back towards the foyer.The dog sniffed at us in passing but never left her post.
That was the first of my many meetings with Miss Helen,owner of the Mount Hotel until her very sad passing in September 2012.I will miss her greatly.
She grabbed a key from behind the desk and stepped into a very small lift,the same one slightly updated is there to this day.My colleague and I followed.
Miss Helen led us to a family room,that is a room with one double and one three quarter bed.As the senior man I got the double.Miss Helen left the key,gave us some big fluffy towels to get dry on and left before we had a chance to thank her,sign in or even ask what all this was costing us.About twenty minutes later there was a knock at the door that Howard answered.In walked Miss Helen with a tray nearly as big as she was.On it were huge jugs of tea and coffee and a large plate of Ham and Cheese sandwiches, cups,saucers,plates,silverware and even paper doilies.All this at 10.30 at night.Miss Helen had obviously done all this herself in the kitchen.We both thanked her profusely not believing our good fortune but she just waved a hand in dismissal,gave us a big smiling goodnight and a " I'll see you both at breakfast".We sat down and tore into the food and drink,glad of both."see us at breakfast?" Howard repeated with his hands full of sandwich."Doesn't that Lady ever sleep?"
I learned the answer to that question over many years, but the following morning when we arrived downstairs for breakfast she greeted us with a "Good morning boys".Are you hungry?", she asked leading us into the large dining room and sitting us at a window table set with polished silverware and wonderful sea views.We had a great breakfast that day before paying our bill,saying thank you again before taking our leave.
I've had many other fine meals in all the years I've been going to the Mount since.that first night, all of them marvelous.
We stayed in room 37 which funnily enough is my house number at home.Since that first visit I've stayed at the Mount when I've been over at the East Coast on Business or for a weekend break to recharge the batteries or indeed for a full holiday,and I've always had room 37!
Every time I go I receive the same understated courteous service throughout my stay.

Two years ago following the sad passing of my mother I took my Dad to the Mount for the first time for his annual holiday to Scarborough,something he and my mum did for well over 60 years.Now my dads no pushover,even though he;s ninety this year,and hes not easily impressed, but I can tell you all with absolute honesty that he loves everything about the Mount from the marvelous food produced by a very young but extremely talented Chef.Keep up the fine work Shaun and please find me some sea bass again for the second week in July when Dad and I will be with you again.Dad loves the attention to small details and his wishes.I know Stacy,the Head receptionist and Miss Helen's right hand lady up front w for so long,will have our room ready early for our arrival so we can get on with our holiday straight away and that there will be a shower mat in the bath for Dad and an extra large Bath Sheet for me without me having to ask again.I also know that Linda,Miss Helen's other arm in the business,the hotels Billy Whiz,who runs the dinning room like a dervish on a tricycle will have a beautiful sea view table waiting for us and will also spoil Dad rotten again and try to get me to gain the weight I've lost by putting Shaun's tempting treats in font of me all weak until I crack.Our room will be cleaned and the beds made up every day by the ladies upstairs so all we have to do is turn up,hope for some good weather like last year and relax.But lets face it, even if its a poor day we don't have to go anywhere.Daily papers are delivered to the door.There's a nice flat screen TV in the en suite room,which also has tea and coffee making facilities.You can have room service or go downstairs and sit in the lounge,where we often have after dinner coffee or there's the bar if that's your thing.

Lets be totally honest you don't keep on going back to the same place for more than 30 years if it not the best.To me the Mount Hotel is my home away from home.The staff aren't just staff,there friends I enjoy seeing and talking to visit after visit and while Miss Helen's gone I know she'll be watching on from somewhere making sure the old traditions and qualities continue.I'm looking forward to July when I'll be able to meet up with Miss Helen's cousin again now that she and her husband have taken over the running of the Mount.Strangely enough they call her Helen too,Cousin Helen.Would you believe it!

The Mount Hotel deserves 10/10 on every single level.Try it you won't be disappointed.

Dr C Sands.PhD

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank CSands58
Wow!!
Such a fantastic story, I was enthralled in reading it and can visualise Miss Helen welcoming you in from the rain all those years ago, she was one of a kind.

A big thank you for posting this, a lot of very happy memories, it will mean a lot to a lot of people, and the staff have really enjoyed reading this.
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2013

Very friendly & helpful staff. Stayed for 3 nights on a Dinner B&B deal. Breakfasts were made to order and good quality helpings. Worth paying extra for the sea view over the South bay. The hotel is located in a quiet spot with little passing traffic but not far from town centre. Only issue is parking - but same throughout Scarborough

Room Tip: Sea views are a bonus
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank cjhgolf
Craig B, Manager at The Mount Hotel, responded to this review, 8 June 2013
Thank you for your kind comments, so glad that you enjoyed the hotel's hospitality, food and drink and also some good games of golf.
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2013

Booked an Executive room at a cost of £340 for 2 nights, definately not worth the money.

The room whilst large and spacious didn't represent value for money. On the plus side there was a walk in wardrobe and it did have a separate lounge area which for the older clientele I am sure would have been a delight to sit in the upright chairs looking out of the window. There were 2 robes for guests use, an array of complimentary toiletries - if thats is on your wish list and the sheets on the bed were clean.

The downside - overall very unclean. The mirrors were dirty, the robes had makeup stains on from previous guests, the TV was dirty, skirting boards were dusty (and not just a light dusting) stained carpet which was dirty round the edges and the bathroom was atrocious. Heavy limescale deposits on the taps, the lino on the floor was dirty and curling up at the edges and the bathroom door had some very dubious looking stains. Not quite sure it could be classed as "designer" wallpaper and the bed was so soft and worn it was uncomfy.

The value for money room issues aside ...

We were greated warmly at Reception and personally shown to the room which I felt was a nice touch. With the exception of Breakfast service there was a distinct lack of staff and my view is if you own the Hotel it would be preferable to attend to your guests prior to your own personal agenda. The glasses in the bar area were dirty and the lack of service in the public areas meant we spent our money elsewhere. We were a little taken aback regarding the timings for an evening meal at the Hotel and having been told our order must be in the kitchen by 7:45 at the latest gave the impression that we maybe rushed so didn't partake.

Our arrival for Breakfast was a confusing affair. There was an omission of any signage indicating the process for the seating arrangements which left you stood at the entrance to the Restaurant looking rather like a lemon which is very unnecessary and easily rectified with the addition of a simple sign. Once seated we received excellent service and credit to all staff concerned. The tables were beautifully laid and accessorised with traditional silver condiments. There was a wide choice on the menu, made to order and delivered efficiently and piping hot from the kitchen which makes a refreshing change from most hotels.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank YorkshireNicky40
Craig B, Manager at The Mount Hotel, responded to this review, 8 June 2013
Thank you for your constructive comments. I am sorry if you found the accommodation cleanliness not to be to your liking, as the housekeeping staff take great pride in their work and carry out their duties to a very high standard. Though we have had no negative comments on the bed in this room thanks to your feedback we have now replaced the bed.
We serve dinner from 6.15 until 7.45 which suits the majority of our guests who are on a dinner bed and breakfast basis, I am sorry that we could not cater for you during these times on this occasion.
I was pleased that you enjoyed your breakfast in the dining room.
Tyne & Wear
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

Checked in for a two night break. Very pleasant experience, ideally situated for a walk down to beach or the town. Room was quite large with very comfortable beds. Breakfast was a full English with lovely staff catering to your needs. Staff were very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Ours was a sea view (number 39) twin bedded room with coffee/tea facilities
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank cheeryholmaker
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

Just come back from a weekend at The Mount. The rooms were exceptionally clean, and many have been refurbished. The common areas were well furnished and I cannot say enough about the helpfulness of the staff. Superb. The breakfasts were all made to order and of fantastic quality. Just what you need to start the day. I believe that The Mount now has new owners and they have certainly made a memorable mark on our party. Will definitley make a bee line for this friendly, family run business., next time I happen to be in Scarborough

Room Tip: Ask reception for a discounted parking voucher as parking isn't easy or cheap in this part of to...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank 5BigT
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2013

Had a very enjoyable stay at The Mount Hotel. We had 2 double rooms one with a lovely sea view - the other faced the rear of the hotel but was still a very nice room. Rooms were warm, cleaned to a high standard and were both a pretty good size. Access for disabled guests is a little limited although a ramp is provided to guests who need to use one. The staff are extremely helpful with nothing being too much bother.and they go out their way to make you feel welcome. The food in the dining room at both breakfast and during evening service is very good with the service being exemplary. I would recommend this hotel for the whole family.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view if this is what you are looking for - the staff will do their best to meet your r...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends