“Decent enough”

The Mount Hotel
Ranked #16 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
“Decent enough”
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed overnight in august.

Good position. Clean and friendly, Excellent views. Nice and plentiful breakfast.

On the downside, the decor is a little tired (although the dining room is lovely), the corridors are tight and parking is a nightmare in the town centre.

Have paid more to stay in worse hotels and stayed in better for less, however certainly would not put anybody off staying here.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Cambridge, UK
Reviewed 31 July 2014

A perfectly acceptable place for an overnight stay. Our room was quite a reasonable size, bathroom rather well maintained and equipped. Decor is very tired, really can do with a complete overhaul; at the very least paint the window frames! Breakfast is pretty good, staff attentive and very responsive. There is a small issue of parking in the centre of Scarborough, one can spend ages looking for a street parking place.
It feels that with the location it has there is potential to turn Mount Hotel into a special place, which would justify their prices; it is not special now, not by any stretch of imagination.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank vmilman
Northumberland
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Stayed here for one night when we finished walking the Cleveland Way. We had a spacious room with a sea view. The decour was a bit dated and the bathroom could do with a makeover (get rid of the shower curtain!). Nevertheless the bed was comfortable and there was no noise despite being near the lift. Very friendly service at breakfast. One odd thing though, the menu listed heather honey among the preserves. When it arrived it was blossom honey. When I queried this I was told that they only had blossom honey and never had had heather honey. I suggest they update their menu.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
FEATHERSTONE
Reviewed 27 July 2014

The hotel was, clean, comfortable and the staff very friendly, polite and helpful.

The upstairs however, does not reflect the smartness of the downstairs and is a bit dim and tired looking.
I had breakfast in the hotel, service good if not a tad too quick, cutlery and other items very clean and pleasant a pleasure to eat there.
My one moan is that I had trouble with the toilet in that the handle snapped, I reported this about 6.30pm and fully expected when I returned it would be fixed this was not the case so I was left with the alternative of either going downstairs through the night or indeed lifting off the cistern lid and operating the flush myself which I did so as not to cause any extra work for the staff aor indeed any embarrassment to myself.
At 8.30am someone did attempt to repair the toilet to ne avail and when I left the Receptionist who did apologise to me was in the process of ringing for a plumber which should have happened in the first place.

I would visit the hotel again but should not have been allowed to happen in as much when the toilet broke it should have been repaired pronto.

Room Tip: one without a broken toilet and one overlooking the front.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank BONDINO1
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

I used to stay here whilst visiting my mother in a local care home. I had tried many hotels in Scarborough before I found The Mount, once found I it I never went anywhere else. After my mother died I didn't visit Scarborough for a couple of years. The lady who owned the hotel also sadly passed away and I was worried things would not be the same as she was such an integral part of the hotel. I'm glad to report her family now runs the place and standards have been well maintained. Lovely rooms, I always get one with a sea view, very friendly staff and a great breakfast, which is served in their lovely restaurant. The Mount Hotel is slightly old fashioned but that's what I love about the place.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AGDowson
Brigg, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Stayed for one night last weekend. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Lovely room with a seaview.
The breakfast was amazing, excellent choice - kippers, porridge we had the full English which was delicious. Not the usual buffet bur full waited service, very personal.
Will stay again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I decided last week I wanted a few days at the coast so, hopped onto the train and called into the Mount to see if they had any single rooms. They people on reception were very friendly and helpful. I found their prices quite reasonable compare to the £90 per night I had been quoted down the road.

My room on the top floor was a good size, the bed was very comfortable and it had everything in you would expect from a good hotel, plus great WiFi. The rooms are attended to daily and even the staff doing this were very chatty and friendly.

Their breakfast which, was in with the reasonable price of the room, was second to none. The staff again where great and nothing was too much trouble. I've been trying to eat healthy recently but one sniff and taste of their full English soon made me fall off the wagon, it was lovely.

After staying two nights I decided to stay on for an additional night and I will definitely go back again!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo