“Great, personal service”

Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Scarborough, United Kingdom
“Great, personal service”
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Visited the Bryerstones just after Christmas one lunchtime to catch up with a friend. I wasn't that hungry so the landlord very kindly offered to do me a half portion of scampi which was just what I needed. My friend had the salmon and prawn platter and it looked amazing. Also we were asked during the meal if everything was to our satisfaction. My only complaint would be that there doesn't seem to be a lighter bites menu for lunchtime snacks as some of the meals are quite large for a lunchtime.
All in all, great food, friendly staff and nice setting.

York, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Sunday lunch”
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Came here after viewing on Tripadvisor and it was well worth a trip here for a fantastic Sunday lunch (although they do more than just Sunday lunch). Atmosphere was good and the staff are very welcoming and accommodating, nothing too much trouble. Menu was varied with a good mix but all good produce and home cooked. Steak pie was the best I have ever had in a pub, separate vegetables is always a plus and a good mixture. If definitely visiting here you'd be well advised to book on a Sunday especially although there are plenty of 'free' tables they soon fill up fast.
Thanks
We will be back as they say!

Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Loved it!”
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Great night all round. Great food, great service, great beers! Will definitely come again. Lovely traditional country pub.

Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Best country pub food we've ever had”
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Having seen some good reviews we thought we'd give this place a try. The meats, fish and veg are all sourced from local suppliers and you could really tell. I had homemade chicken liver pate with an orange and cranberry topping for starters. It was just gorgeous. My boyfriend had wild mushroom soup which he also raved about. For mains I had game pie with a load of perfectly cooked seasonal veg. I'd thought I'd give it a go but felt slightly dubious as so often pies can have disappointingly little filling. I was so wrong! There was venison, duck, partridge and pheasant in big chunks and although the red wine gravy was amazingly tasty, it didn't overpower the meat so you could taste every different flavour. The pastry was perfect too, and just the right amount. My boyfriend had the lasagne with homemade chunky chips and salad. He loved it and having stolen a couple of chips I can safely say they were really good!
As the food had been so good, we decided to go for dessert, despite feeling really full already. I had warm chocolate brownie with ice cream. Again, just lovely (and as it's my favourite dessert I can be quite picky about it). My boyfriend had lime cheesecake and he loved that too. The coffee came with homemade chocolate fudge which was an amazing way to finish off a fantastic meal. The food was so good we even enquired whether they sold any so we could give it to friends for Christmas!
The service was spot on from everyone who worked there. We had a lovely chat with the landlord too.
We eat out a lot and this is the best country pub I've ever eaten in and would go back time after time! A shame we're just here on holiday but a great reason to come back to the area!

Scotland
“Paul's wee gem”
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Was visiting the area and checked trip advisor for some suggestions. The Bryherstones inn caught my attention. Good honest grub was mentioned more than once in the reviews. We turned up at lunchtime on a Sunday, car park was quite full. Went in the back entrance and the log fire was giving off a welcoming glow. We were quickly shown to one of the few free tables and and ordered one their very refreshing ales as we checked out the many choices on the menu. The food was served by cheery staff. So glad we turned up when we did as the place quickly filled up as we started to tuck into our hearty meals. This establishment is a credit to Paul and Sally the owners and is well worth a visit if you like "Good Honest Grub".