“Only a word PERFECT.”

CoGoni's Ristorante Italiano
Ranked #20 of 357 Restaurants in Scarborough
Price range: US$8 - US$27
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
españa
“Only a word PERFECT.”
Reviewed 31 May 2012 via mobile

I went for my aniversary and i really enjoyed it food, service... We will see soon.

1 Thank ninia26

Scarborough, United Kingdom
“Delightful”
Reviewed 31 May 2012

Had a fab meal here last sat night , couldn't fault it we had the goats cheese to start followed by rack of lamb with red wine sauce mmmm delish , hubby had sirloin with mushroom sauce . Followed by a chocolate melting middle pud again Mmm even the wine was excellent as I said delish and can't wait to go back ; )

1 Thank wozie
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Good service and tasty food”
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Very nice meal at a reasonable price, the food was tasty, and large portions with a good choice, excellent service throughout would recommend.

Visited May 2012
bridlington
“deserves to be number one”
Reviewed 27 May 2012 via mobile

After reading the reviews we booked a table for our anniversary meal, and were very impressed, we would have walked straight past if we hadnt searched it on the map!
We shared the belly pork and crab ravioli for starters and they were both delicious ( I have tried to recreate the belly pork and balsamic vinegar at home this week but nowhere near as nice!) then we both opted for the chicken, huge serving, beautifully moist and tender, I had pepper sauce and my husband had the mushroom, again both lovely. vegetables cooked well, we didnt have room for a dessert so opted for liquer coffees. The staff were attentive but unobtrusive, so I didnt get chance to use the table bell!
I cant wait to go back and have recommended Cogonis to many friends.Thank you for a great evening.

1 Thank rosebudBridlington
Knutsford, United Kingdom
“Weird menu, no character and ordinary food”
Reviewed 27 May 2012

We chose this restaurant based on the Trip Advisor reviews.

This didn’t feel like an Italian restaurant: poor frontage, few Italian references inside, vertical blinds on the windows, no Italian waiting staff, prosecco served from babycham style individual bottles and some 60’s music.

The menu for main courses is weird, a matrix system of a choice of meats on one page with a choice of sauces on another. Clearly, sauces such as blue cheese are best suited to steak, but it is impossible to know whether other sauces will suit duck, chicken, beef or fish without tasting them. The sauces we chose were weak and lacked any fresh notes. My duck, requested “pink”, was served well done.

The only redeeming feature of this restaurant is the quality and cooking of the pasta. Unfortunately, the filling of my crab ravioli was only brown meat, and so had a feel of crab paste.

I find it hard to believe that this is the best restaurant in Scarborough, or even the best Italian.

• Visited May 2012
6 Thank bowyer_11
tomchamp, Owner at CoGoni's Ristorante Italiano, responded to this review, 28 May 2012
Dear sir

Thankyou for taking the time to write a review about your experience at CoGonis restaurant.

I must firstly apologise that your duck was not cooked the way you ordered. If you had notified us we would have rectified the problem straight away and this would have given us the chance to improve your experience at CoGonis. We do make mistakes and im sorry again.

Regarding the Frontage, Decor of the Restaurant and the Music.

I would love to be in a position to upgrade the Frontage of the Restaurant its on my List of things to do aswell as all the other things that i need to buy mentioned in my previous posts. Its all a question of money. The majority of people really like the decor of the restaurant and all the details that we added when we renovated the place ourselves. The Background Music is a compilation of the most popular songs from the 1920's to present day. Including many italian artists. The list was increased at the customers request as they wanted more choice.

Regarding the nationality of the Staff.

I dont think it would be fair to employ staff based on their nationality it would be a kind of discrimination. And i beleive everybody should be judged based on the quality of their work rather then anything else.

Regarding the menu layout

We have never heard of any problems until now with the way the Maincourse / Sauces menu is layed out and their isnt even one negative comment in the 300 reviews on tripadviser. Written on the menu we do reccomend certain sauces for the fish dishes. We have received many positive comments regarding the choice of Meats and Sauces and the ability to pair up the many different combinations. And if we had known that you required some assistance we would have been very happy to help. When we change the menu i will look in to adding maybe a chef reccomendation for each Meat dish and I thank you for mentioning this as i never thought their was an issue until now.

Regarding the Prosecco, the freshness of the sauces and Crab Ravioli.

The Prosecco that we serve are in single serve bottles as well as the standard size. This is better than serving Prosecco by the glass from large bottles. It guarantees that the prosecco is fizzy and fresh rather then using a large bottle that has been opened for a day or two. Sorry you didint enjoy the sauces but they are fresh and Home made, we use fresh herbs in alot of our sauces as well as using them to garnish the plates. The Home made Crab ravioli is fresh from our local fish monger and the ratio of the filling is 1/3 white meat to 2/3 dark meat, this gives the ravioli more flavour. And Most fillings for ravioli do have this texture.

Regarding your Review

Abviously we are very disappointed that you did not find your experience at CoGonis restaurant more positive. But i do beleive that it is the duty of every Tripadviser reviewer to notify the front of house team when in the restaurant if they are not satisfied with their meal. All Restaurants make mistakes and they should be also judged on how they deal with those mistakes and complaints. Its very frustrating for myself and the team that you did not mention anything to us. If you had given us the chance to rectify the problem im sure your experience would have been better.

My apologiese Again

Yours Sincerely

Marco and all the team at CoGonis