“Exquisite - top, top quality”

CoGoni's Ristorante Italiano
Ranked #27 of 369 Restaurants in Scarborough
Price range: US$8 - US$28
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: We are now closed for the next couple of months for refurbishment.
Reviewed 20 February 2011

Two of us went on a busy Saturday night just before nine (I have since learned it was their busiest night since opening), we sat at the bar whilst our table was prepared. The general ambiance of the place is relaxed but classy. Everything was clean and spotless. The three floor staff did a tremendous job of meet and greet, taking orders, clearing tables and bringing food. Quite how they managed it is beyond me.
Our starter was a mixed shellfish platter. This was simply steamed and consisted of razor clam (outstandingly good), cockles, prawns and I believe a crevette all in a simple sauce that in no way smothered the flavour as some do. To accompany we had some delicious oregano bread to dip into the lovely juices.
Our main course was lamb in a rosemary,thyme and garlic jus. The lamb was rightly served pink and fell off the bone.We were also asked before hand if we wanted it pink which I thought was a nice touch. Presentation was lovely and the accompanying veg included wonderful potatoes roasted in goose fat.
To drink we had a bottle of the house red at 10.95 a bottle which is very good and I believe too cheap !
We really enjoyed our meal and I would recommend it to anyone. I never heard anyone else complaining and in fact everyone who left looked really happy and complimented staff as they left.
What particularly impressed me was the professionalism of the staff. It was manic at times yet they remained calm throughout and saw it through. It is obvious to me that the staff both front and back of house care very much about what they do here and the attention to detail is obvious. It is also obvious that they are improving and are striving to get better. I came here on their first night and the meal was not as good but on speaking to both chefs they were aware of their mistakes and have made it better.
If you consider that they have both come from a family run, fast paced Italian restaurant which catered to the masses, what they have achieved here is even more incredible. They have set their sights and standards high and I can see nothing but success in their future here. They could do with another staff member at busier times but that in no way is a criticism of what was a great team effort, a memorable experience and something I shall definitely do again.
I have read some of the other reviews here and some of the negative comments about the staff I find very hard to believe. I have never seen a more professional front of house team and I heartily commend both them and this restaurant.

Reviewed 19 February 2011

Our first visit to CoGoni's will definitely not be our last. From beginning to end it was memorable, not only for the menu but for the warm and friendly staff. The food was excellent in every respect and as we surveyed what was brought to the other tables, we could have been happy to have ordered every delightful dish. The service was prompt, polite and efficient and we left completely satisfied - money well spent. We understand from talking to other diners that the menu changes regularly to use the foods of the season, typically Italian, and that the food is all sourced as locally as possible. We WILL be back!

Reviewed 17 February 2011

My husband and I took some friends to see the new refurbishments
and we must say what a good job,Stylish & Shic.
We had dishes of steak cooked to perfection with choice of many sauces
and our friend had a pasta with seafood which was lovely.
The staff were very friendly and on the ball " nothing was too much trouble"
we will definately be returning and would recommend you all to try CoGon'is

Reviewed 14 February 2011

My husband and I went to Cogonis last night for an early Valentines Meal and it was fabulous. All products are locally sourced and made fresh on the premises. We had three courses ,2 large glasses of wine and 2 pints of lager, all for £54.50!

This place is perfect for a speacial occasion and I would recommend you book well in advance as it will no doubt be in high demand.

Can't wait to go again!

Reviewed 13 February 2011

This was our 2nd visit to CoGoni"s ristorante italiano, the 1st time was special and everything from service to food to recieving the bill was done with a smile and promptly. the staff are great, the chef"s are great, and the food is even better.Now for the 2nd time we went.........WOW, when you think it can2t get any better...........BOOM, it does............on arriving with my wife, we we"re greated by a very friendly smiling front of house,who served us drinks and reccomended certain dishes, which added 2 my already difficult choice of great dishes, my wife decided on goats cheese to start,i decided on meatballs................dissapointed?? behave urself, totally brilliant, i tried my wifes, gorgeous, i wouldnt let the wife try mine, after all......it was mine!!!!after ordering more drinks, which were delivered in the now, normal happy smiling way,10-15 mins later, just the right ammount of time, our mains arrived............sea-bass 4 the wife, and fillet 4 myself.............sara had the garlic sauce, i had the mustard, it came with crisp veg, and golden roasts and a smile. 3 words summmed it up " totally bloody gorgeous"!!!! the fish was cooked 2 perfection, and had so much taste, the steak, ordered medium, was cooked medium and tasted unreal, it was "SIMPLY THE BEST" if anyone is reading this, please order the fillet!!!!After finishing our great meal, we called for the bill, and had another drink on awaiting, a very reasonable bill arrived, which for the food and service could of been alot lot more.On the whole............CoGoni"s is defo a place 2 visit while here in scarborough, if you don"t you are missing out, and i mean.........MISSING OUT. the decor,staff and food are not 2 be touched, friendly atmosphere,and trust me..... A TOP FILLET!!!!! well done guys on scarborough2s number 1. cheers taxi toggy & his wife. x

2  Thank toggy31