“Characterful Independent hotel”
Review of Wrea Head Hall

Wrea Head Hall
Ranked #1 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Stayed here on business and got Room 18 which is a "standard" room. Standard rooms are on the 2nd floor and were, I suspect, the old servants' quarters. The room was very pleasant and comfortable. Tea, coffee and biscuits were provided and there are plently of sockets for charging phone, laptop etc. The heating is powerful and easily controlled by the radiator thermostat. The bed was comfortable with plenty of pillows and a nice thick duvet.

Less good for me were the very cramped bathroom, well appointed but you have to sit at an angle on the loo because of the location of the sink. A bit more shelf space would also be appreciated. Also, the table provided is not too good for using a laptop being more of a dressing table than desk and the TV is not in a great location for viewing comfortably.

Back to the positives, the food is good, there is an a la carte menu and also a more basic bar food menu. I had the bar food and it was good quality. But, on the down side hot breakfast is not served until the chef turns in at 8am. So, if you are on business like me and need to be out on the road by 8am, it's coffee, toast & cereal only.

Staff were excellent and friendly, made me feel very welcome.

This is the kind of hotel that has a number of regular visitors, some of whom I met on my stay. If staying on holoiday, I would probably give this 5*, but the cramped bathroom and 8am hot breakfast mean that I have to knock 1* off.

In summary, a very characterful hotel in lovely surroundings that would be great for a holiday. Some of the more expensive rooms are very well appointed and spacious.

Room Tip: OPay a bit more and get one of the refurbished rooms.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Drooper901
There are newer reviews for Wrea Head Hall

Reviewed 20 January 2014

Having moved abroad in the last few years we were very rushed in the Christmas period to see everyone and be everywhere we wanted to be. But, after the five-or-so hour drive from London we arrived at Wrea Head; from then, time just stopped.

Met with the warmest welcome from Anne and her team, I couldn't remember feeling that festive and excited since I was about 8 years old! We had a much deserved glass of wine and convened with the rest of our party, shortly after, calling it a night.

Our bed was one of the comfiest I have slept in. The room was so clean and warm we ended up nearly missing breakfast both mornings! I am a shower man and my girlfriend is a bath lady, to have both was a pure luxury; shower pressure and temperature is something I could bang on about for days but Wrea Head had the aspect covered.

Breakfast, oh breakfast. Admittedly on our second morning we felt we wanted to enjoy our room so ordered room service, which arrived before we had even worked up our appetites! Very speedy. However on the first morning we went downstairs fresh as a daisy from our reasonably early night and pure excitement to get out and see the amazing grounds. We had breakfast in the dining room where we were met again with perfect service and the friendliest staff. There's a difference between service with a smile and the obvious fact that people have an actual and natural liking for their jobs. Lovely.

Little things like consistently being called sir and madam, being asked if we are ok at every corner and obviousness that people remember you from the last time you spoke or were served (even if I didn't, sorry!).

Dinner was AMAZING, we had a special Festive Menu that was delicious. I had Scallops followed by Venison; I often come down with a very severe case of food envy however this time, the time and deliberation I took to get my choice right paid off. It was perfect, I wouldn't give anyone a bite of my food. My girlfriend had Scallops followed by Quail; it was perfectly crispy on the outside and juicy inside, I know because I had a bite, I think I then changed the subject and the favour was not returned. I feel guilty to this day but I do not care, it was MY venison.

We had a lovely brisk walk on the beach followed by lovely fish & chips then a nice relaxing afternoon nestled in the comfy sofas with teas and Bloody Maries.

Overall, the Wrea Head staff made our Christmas, from the cleanliness to the service.

Thank you.

Room Tip: Have a word with whoever you call, they are all so helpful.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank GeorgeIBZ
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We went for a pre-Christmas break with the family (parents -in-law & sisters). The hotel was decorated beautifully and the staff were very helpful. We stayed in a deluxe room and it didn't disappoint. The interior matched the hotel atmosphere perfectly. It was great to relax and catch up around the fire with great food and great service.

Room Tip: Room 14 and 16 were ideally done out with great views.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank AIMEE3006
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We booked into room 16 wow what a beautiful room In the afternoon went down stairs had a glass of wine in the bar the waiter was quite new to the hotel but very proud to be working their this was a trait that we found familiar with all the staff when we went upstairs to ready in our amazing room dinner was served promptly and hot. We wound our night off at the side of a wonderful log fire drinking our remaining wine from dinner. At check out today the housekeeping g team were very keen and willing to show us other rooms. If I had one teeny weeny comment (not criticism). It would be put enough milk in the room for a cuppa when we arrived and in the morning when we woke up. Plus points loccitane toiletries. Wonderful comfy beds Exclusive hotel. Fantastic location

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We were given a 2 night DB&B package as a Christmas gift to allow us a much needed break without our 2 young children in tow and I don't think we could have picked a better place to unwind...although if there was a spa too it would be close to perfect!

On arrival we were checked in by a very friendly young man who showed us to our room (Room 19) which has been refurbished to an impeccable standard with sumptuous furnishings and an amazing roll top bath in the room itself. The room also has a lovely view over the gardens at the back of the hotel and is flooded with lovely natural light making it a very serene room to stay in.

The purpose of our stay was to simply relax and we made good use of the lovely bar area and the cosy nook outside of the library both of which had roaring open fires. Staff were attentive without ever being pushy or pestering...a perfect balance as it made us feel like we could treat the place as our own...a very grand place at that! We didn't really do much except sit, read and eat but that was exactly what we wanted and we felt warm, cosy and relaxed at all times.

We ate off the 1881 standard menu both nights and there was nothing 'standard' about the food or service. It was delicious, cooked to perfection and piping hot with lovely combinations of ingredients. Breakfast was equally as good and service in the dining room was excellent. Our only quibble, and a very small one, is that the Sonos systems in the dining room and bar need a greater selection of music. There is only so much Katherine Jenkins you can take in a weekend!

Another slight niggle was that our room was extremely warm especially the bathroom area but we just opened the window and let some air in to counter this.

We noted the refurbishment work but in no way did this impact on our stay, there was no mess or noise and if it results in further bedrooms like the one we stayed in it will definitely be worth it.

Overall, a very enjoyable and relaxing stay (and good value too) and we would love to return!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Emma R
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Booked a last minute dinner bed and breakfast deal which was very attractively priced. Arrival and check in was painless despite a minor discrepancy on my booking. Our room (6) at the back was huge, containing a double and single bed plus a comfortable leather chesterfield for a touch of opulence! It looked out onto an adjacent wing of the house, the garden and countryside. Apart from some minor noises from what I guess was the adjoining bathroom on the other side of the fire door, the silence was overwhelming despite the hotel being fully booked. The house oozes character from every wall, is warm and comfortable. Afternoon tea in the library sounds very formal but couldn't have been more friendly and informal. Sinking into a leather Chesterfield, tucking into warm scones, jam (served in individual miniature preserve jars) and clotted cream shortly after arrival, we sipped our tea in front of the fire and felt the week's stresses slip away! The library contains an eclectic collection of books and offers distant views towards the sea. Visitors are encouraged to borrow books, CDs and DVDs during their stay and there's even a croquet set to complete the 'Downton' experience!

Dinner was first class, served on piping hot plates and with discreet service. I chose from the Indulgence menu for a small surcharge although there was plenty of choice from the main menu. Offering my friend a complimentary sorbet to balance my menu choice was completely unexpected but much appreciated. My venison was cooked to perfection, imaginatively scattered with blackberries and accompanied by delicious vegetables. My only gripe (and it's trivial) is that I found the wine list a tad expensive for screw top wines.

The beds were superbly comfortable while breakfast, cooked to order, was delicious. I am a slow eater but the piping hot plates ensured that everything remained hot to the last forkful!

The ambience throughout is genteel country house with lots of oak panelling, comfortable leather chairs and a magnificent stained glass window on the stair return. Service is impeccable, food first class and imaginative. If you are looking for somewhere to be pampered and to recharge your batteries Wrea Head Hall is it. Be quick though, before everyone else discovers this hidden gem!

Room Tip: From reading others' reviews I think each room is different but of a high standard, well-appoint...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 January 2014

We went to Wrea Head on a dinner bed and breakfast deal. We stayed in one of the refurbished rooms (16) which was excellent and one of the best hotel rooms we have stayed in. Great views and very relaxing. The food and service were good but not the very best we have had in this area. The building is being renovated and I am sure that the end result will be wonderful but the outside was a bit of a tip and spoilt the joy of walking. If you ignored that the views over to Scarborough are wonderful.

Room Tip: room 16 is excellent
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank td2traveller
Gerald A, Owner at Wrea Head Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and I am pleased to note that your room was excellent and one of the best Hotel rooms you have stayed in. In order to reach this standard thought the Hotel we have started the second phase of room refurbishments in a closed wing of the Hotel. I am somewhat confused regarding the comment about your joy of walking being spoilt as we have only one skip located in the car park out of sight of any occupied rooms and not near a footpath. I can only think you may have walked onto a neighbouring private property during your walk in the area and obviously this is not within our control but as you point out the views from the hotel are excellent.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Scarborough
The Crown Spa Hotel
Palm Court Hotel
Palm Court Hotel
#12 of 26 in Scarborough
Hackness Grange Country House Hotel

Been to Wrea Head Hall? Share your experiences!