“Lovely place to stay”

Ranked #1 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Lovely place to stay”
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We stayed at Wrea Head for one night on 26 January and, although we arrived extremely early due to unforeseen circumstances on our journey, Ann Hodgson, the manager gave us a very warm welcome and immediately made us feel at ease. Even though we were only staying over on the Sunday evening, she had upgraded us to Room 14, which was a superb, cosy room with lovely views over the grounds, despite the wet and windy weather. Dinner that evening was of the highest standard and everything was delicious and well served, as was breakfast the following morning. Although renovation works are on going at the hotel we were never aware of it in an intrusive way. In fact, when we left our room to go down for breakfast on Monday morning we were amazed to be greeted by cheery hello's from a group of busy but unheard workmen at the end of our corridor. We would certainly recommend the hotel and look forward to returning again for a longer stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (498)
Whitley Bay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2014

I have stayed at this hotel many times when part of the English Hotel group which sadly went out of business. I am pleased to say the new owners of the hotel (12 months ago) are making remarkable progress in the complete refurbishment of the entire building, they are having a whole new roof fitted at the moment along with refurbishing all the bedrooms (work in progress) they have already completed the lounge bar area and the 1881dining room to a very high standard.
I had one of the bedrooms (17) in the west wing which had been updated by the last owners and was very comfortable. The dining room is a pleasant experience with very good quality food and they still use table cloths which makes such a difference.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the newly refurbished bedrooms with a view if possable
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed only one night at the beginning of January and it certainly was a wonderful New Year treat for us.
We stayed in Room 1 on a dinner bed and breakfast basis. The room was amazing and the pictures on the website do not do it justice.
Dinner was fabulous as was the breakfast.
The staff work so hard; whilst we were there, the hotel seemed quite busy but I only saw 3 front of house staff, who catered for all our needs perfectly. Ann, the General Manager, seemed to be everywhere!
Wrea Head Hall is certainly the nicest country house hotel we have stayed in for a long time and I will look forward to returning in the summer months.
My only hope is that the prices don't shoot up after the renovations are complete as at the moment, the hotel is excellent value for money!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 January 2014

We booked this hotel using their Winter Offer deal which included dinner, bed and breakfast....and boy were we given a great deal!

The room was booked last minute and was the last available room on the Friday evening. We weren't particularly bothered it was one of the standard rooms as the pictures provided on the website were lovely.

We arrived at the hotel just after 4pm to a very warm welcome by Mark who checked our details and then asked us what time we would like to sit for dinner. We chose 8pm just after the 'rush' of other diners. He then took our bag (I felt very guilty I'd packed so many toiletries and the bag was extremely laden down!) and led us up to our room. I think it's fantastic the hotel has kept its maze-like hallways and secret doorways! Room 18 is on the second floor in a quieter wing with only one bedroom either side of it. The bathroom is compact but perfectly in proportion....unsure why some reviewers need such gigantic bathrooms to satisfy?!

We headed down to the hotel bar for a drink and sat by the fire on beautiful chesterfield sofas. We were given menus to decide what we wanted to eat and were amazed that for just £5 each we could upgrade TWO courses to the Indulgence Menu...I would absolutely recommend visitors take advantage of this. The Standard Menu is great but we wanted to indulge. The system they have for dinner is a very good idea; you are seated at your table and no more than 30 seconds later your starters are out. You do not have to wait long for your courses whatsoever which means a steady flow of beautiful food...great for two big appetites.

Now, the food.......I cannot fault anything the chefs put on the plate; we have both been working within the hospitality industry for over 15 years between us and are sometimes unaware we are judging every move but the food at Wrea Hall was just amazing. We started with duck breast and guyere scallops, then a refreshing pineapple and basil sorbet. For our mains my partner had a beautiful fillet steak with a small suet pudding filled with tender meat and ale and I chose fresh sea bass risotto. To finish we had a lemon curd creme brulee and a sticky toffee pudding.
I can safely say the meal was, without a doubt, the most exquisite we've ever had. The service was top notch; it was great being called sir and madam...made the whole experience more royal.

The drink prices are as you'd expect in any hotel; around £4.50 for a pint of beer and between £4-£5 for a small glass of wine which we were more than happy to purchase.

We had a great sleep in the room; the bed was a little smaller than our own at home but was very comfortable and we'd turned up the radiator before dinner so the room was lovely and toasty when we returned.

Breakfast was a little more informal which was great; there was an array of fruit, cereals and juices for you to nibble on whilst you wait for your locally sourced cooked breakfast. The choice of breakfast was great; from egg and soldiers to eggs benedict to smoked salmon.

We would loved to have stayed another evening but did not have time and were unfortunate not to seek out the grounds as much as we'd liked.

Overall we spent £130.00....this included a four course meal with complimentary tea, coffee and mints, four alcohol beverages, overnight stay and a big breakfast....you can't compete with that!

We had such a nice time we are already looking at returning in the spring with the in-laws for their wedding anniversary and hope to spend more time exploring.

Anne, Jerry and Mark should be extremely proud of their beautiful hotel.!

Room Tip: Room 18 is lovely and in a very quiet part of the hotel...plenty enough room for the both of us at a...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank laurenemsm
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Lovely hotel at Scalby, Scarborough. Hotel is just what Scarborough needs. Excellent food and service. The staff are very pleasant and helpful and the decor of the hotel is lovely and restful. Just what is needed on a short break. Our room was a superior room which was nicely decorated and overlooked the gardens at the back of the hotel. We will certainly be returning to this lovely hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Stayed here on business and got Room 18 which is a "standard" room. Standard rooms are on the 2nd floor and were, I suspect, the old servants' quarters. The room was very pleasant and comfortable. Tea, coffee and biscuits were provided and there are plently of sockets for charging phone, laptop etc. The heating is powerful and easily controlled by the radiator thermostat. The bed was comfortable with plenty of pillows and a nice thick duvet.

Less good for me were the very cramped bathroom, well appointed but you have to sit at an angle on the loo because of the location of the sink. A bit more shelf space would also be appreciated. Also, the table provided is not too good for using a laptop being more of a dressing table than desk and the TV is not in a great location for viewing comfortably.

Back to the positives, the food is good, there is an a la carte menu and also a more basic bar food menu. I had the bar food and it was good quality. But, on the down side hot breakfast is not served until the chef turns in at 8am. So, if you are on business like me and need to be out on the road by 8am, it's coffee, toast & cereal only.

Staff were excellent and friendly, made me feel very welcome.

This is the kind of hotel that has a number of regular visitors, some of whom I met on my stay. If staying on holoiday, I would probably give this 5*, but the cramped bathroom and 8am hot breakfast mean that I have to knock 1* off.

In summary, a very characterful hotel in lovely surroundings that would be great for a holiday. Some of the more expensive rooms are very well appointed and spacious.

Room Tip: OPay a bit more and get one of the refurbished rooms.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Drooper901
Ibiza, Spain
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Having moved abroad in the last few years we were very rushed in the Christmas period to see everyone and be everywhere we wanted to be. But, after the five-or-so hour drive from London we arrived at Wrea Head; from then, time just stopped.

Met with the warmest welcome from Anne and her team, I couldn't remember feeling that festive and excited since I was about 8 years old! We had a much deserved glass of wine and convened with the rest of our party, shortly after, calling it a night.

Our bed was one of the comfiest I have slept in. The room was so clean and warm we ended up nearly missing breakfast both mornings! I am a shower man and my girlfriend is a bath lady, to have both was a pure luxury; shower pressure and temperature is something I could bang on about for days but Wrea Head had the aspect covered.

Breakfast, oh breakfast. Admittedly on our second morning we felt we wanted to enjoy our room so ordered room service, which arrived before we had even worked up our appetites! Very speedy. However on the first morning we went downstairs fresh as a daisy from our reasonably early night and pure excitement to get out and see the amazing grounds. We had breakfast in the dining room where we were met again with perfect service and the friendliest staff. There's a difference between service with a smile and the obvious fact that people have an actual and natural liking for their jobs. Lovely.

Little things like consistently being called sir and madam, being asked if we are ok at every corner and obviousness that people remember you from the last time you spoke or were served (even if I didn't, sorry!).

Dinner was AMAZING, we had a special Festive Menu that was delicious. I had Scallops followed by Venison; I often come down with a very severe case of food envy however this time, the time and deliberation I took to get my choice right paid off. It was perfect, I wouldn't give anyone a bite of my food. My girlfriend had Scallops followed by Quail; it was perfectly crispy on the outside and juicy inside, I know because I had a bite, I think I then changed the subject and the favour was not returned. I feel guilty to this day but I do not care, it was MY venison.

We had a lovely brisk walk on the beach followed by lovely fish & chips then a nice relaxing afternoon nestled in the comfy sofas with teas and Bloody Maries.

Overall, the Wrea Head staff made our Christmas, from the cleanliness to the service.

Thank you.

Room Tip: Have a word with whoever you call, they are all so helpful.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank GeorgeIBZ
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scarborough
The Crown Spa Hotel
Hackness Grange Country House Hotel
Palm Court Hotel
Palm Court Hotel
#12 of 28 in Scarborough

Been to Wrea Head Hall? Share your experiences!