“A jewel in the crown of northern hospitality”
Review of Wrea Head Hall

Wrea Head Hall
Ranked #1 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Scarborough
“A jewel in the crown of northern hospitality”
Reviewed 11 April 2010

You’ve heard of Pearls of the Orient and the Jewel in the Crown – well – Wrea Head Country Hotel is the Feather in Scarborough’s Cap.

I’ve lived in Scarborough for most of my life and have obviously been aware of the hotel, having driven, walked and ridden past it regularly for the last twenty or so years. However, like most people, I thought it was for residents only and would never have dreamt of just popping in for morning coffee! Oh – how wrong can a person be – and how many morning coffees have I missed out on as a result!

My love affair with the hotel really started at Christmas two years ago. We were looking for somewhere to go for Christmas lunch, not too far away from base camp, not too busy, not too modern and not too commercial. My sister tentatively suggested the Wrea Head Hotel in Scalby; amazingly, this was met with a lot of oohs and aahs from the rest of the family (always a good sigh) and the deed was therefore done. The rest, as they say, is history……

Wrea Head, if you don’t know it, is a glorious old building with mullion windows and lots of big chimneys – built in the days of yore when they really new how to impress. We approached around noon on Christmas day with( (it has to be said a certain amount of trepidation, but we shouldn’t have worried) up the long curved drive to the impressive front door. I’d pre-booked a little of the white stuff and the ground was sparkling, adding that extra soupçonne of festive atmosphere to the elegant surroundings – honestly – I think we all felt we’d walked straight into a Jane Austin novel – Mr Darcy (or look-a-like) at the door would have made it the best Christmas ever……….

We were welcomed by a lovely lady (Anne) and guided through to the conservatory overlooking the manicured lawns and from that moment until the time we left (fully sated and very merry) we were looked after and cosseted to the nth degree. The food was delish, the service faultless and the staff managed to maintain a level of courtesy and professionalism with just the right amount of festive cheer, all the more impressive when you think they had given up their own Christmas Day to make ours all the merrier (and that should not be taken for granted – it isn’t always the case – especially with the young!)). Needless to say, we did not hesitate in booking ourselves in the following Christmas – could the previous year be topped – of course it could!

Anyway, since that first Christmas, I’ve been a fairly regular visitor to Wrea Head Hotel (being on my doorstep -almost literally) for lunch and some well earned R&R with a friend from work. She has subsequently taken her family and has been spreading the word!

Some people cherish the chrome and clinical surroundings of modern interior design but – me – well I much prefer the charm, comfort and general ambience of a building steeped in HISTORY. If you’re looking for somewhere to relax and unwind – then step through the front door of the Wrea Head Country Hotel and shrug off the stresses and strains of every day life with your coat – I defy anyone to take the 21st Century with them past the reception desk. If you love oak panelling, huge mullion windows, glorious architraves and ceiling roses, not to mention the impressive collection of paintings and sketches – all topped off with panoramic views of the surrounding gardens and Raincliffe Woods – well you need go no further than this hotel.

Oh – and did I mention the fact that the food is truly scrumptious; personally, I would quite simply sell my soul for the lemon posset.

The manager, Anne (who it has to be said seems to run the hotel singe-handedly) and her staff are so welcoming and courteous and they actually smile (a lot). All very unusual in these modern times – this is a place where nothing is too much trouble and for once the punter doesn’t feel a total nuisance when requesting an extra glass of water!

Pop in for morning coffee or lunch on a Saturday – trust me - you won’t be disappointed.

What on earth am I doing –shooting myself in the foot possibly – do I want to encourage hoards of people into my little oasis of calm! Well – no – actually – but neither am I selfish enough to deprive the masses of this true gem of northern hospitality.

Seek and enjoy – just not when I’m booked in for lunch.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (485)
Derbyshire
Reviewed 10 April 2010

The food was excellent and the staff were very helpfull and friendly. We would definitely like to visit again - Thank-you.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Stockton on Tees
Reviewed 8 April 2010

Just spent a 2-day break at this lovely old hotel in beautiful grounds. Were very impressed by the standard of service and the excellence of the food. Great value as we did a Travelzoo deal.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Northumberland
Reviewed 7 April 2010

My wife and I expected wonderful things from the hotel after reading the reviews on TripAdvisor but the room was awful - tiny and drab. The smallest double bed I've ever seen was crammed into an alcove with not even room for bedside tables, when lying in the middle of the bed I could touch the walls on both sides. The bathroom was equally compact and on more than one occasion I banged my head on the shower door whilst sitting on the loo. The entire bathroom (excluding shower) was approximately 1 metre square. I did try to change rooms but was told there were no alternatives free – I even queried if it was actually a double room as it was so cramped ! The sign on entry to the hotel calls it a Luxury Country House Hotel – certainly not my idea of luxury. They also claim to serve cocktails however there was no cocktail list and when I asked which ones they made was told that the barman had only ever made one before but if I told him how to make whichever cocktail I wanted he’d have a go at making it, we decided to stick to the beer and wine. In fairness the barman was helpful and friendly as were most of the staff and neither my wife nor I could fault the food.

Reviewed 6 April 2010

We got exactly what we wanted and needed,, a very warm greeting, privacy, highest quality and value for money.This will not be surpassed in a long time.

London
Reviewed 6 April 2010

We have just returned from a 2 night stay. A very warm and welcoming Hotel. The staff were frendly and couldnt do enough for us. The evening meals were superb. Our only reservation was room no 17, apparantly a double room. Well it had a double bed but not enough room to negotiate suitcases around it. The management should reall y convert this to a single room. Luckily we were able to transfer to another room, without any extra charge - much appreciated. Excellent Hotel, would recommend and hopefully return again. clive

liverpool
Reviewed 6 April 2010

I travelled to this hotel with my partner and another couple and we had a wonderful time. The staff were accomodating and the food was fantastic. The hotel was clean and tidy and in a beautiful location, we would definately return we had a fabulous weekend.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scarborough
The Crown Spa Hotel
Weston Hotel
Weston Hotel
#2 of 28 in Scarborough
Hackness Grange Country House Hotel

Been to Wrea Head Hall? Share your experiences!