“Excellent value for money”

Royal Hotel Scarborough
Ranked #25 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Stayed at the Royal this Friday and Saturday. Paid for an upgrade to a room with a sea view (was on a mega cheap KGB deal) and it was worth every penny. Large, warm and clean room, huge windows and a small balcony outside. Also had one of the comfiest hotel beds I have ever slept in. Breakfast had fresh fruit, cereals, and the usual variety of cooked items. Service throughout the stay was excellent, friendly staff (although they are obviously all having to multi task) and nothing seemed too much trouble. I've read several of the other reviews on TA, and was initially rather daunted by them. Yes it is an old hotel, it is Victorian after all, and although a little tired in places with creaky floorboards, and a bit dusty, would advise you go and see for yourself.

Room Tip: If you can get it ask for room 212, and if on a cheap deal pay the extra for an upgrade
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,515)

Reviewed 2 March 2012

Friendly staff, clean room, hot water great view. Great breakfast....what more do you want? Sure decor is tired but great stay.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 29 February 2012

To who it may concern,

My fiancé and I stayed at The Royal hotel Scarborough for my fiancé's birthday on the 17th and 18th of February. Our room was clean, the breakfast was nice and the staff at the front desk seemed friendly but lacked, that bit of spark.  So the first night there was nice.  However on the second night we were highly disappointed.  We booked a table in the restaurant for dinner that evening, I had earlier in the day snuck my fiancé's birthday cake to the reception. I was assured it would be brought out during dinner as a nice surprise for him.  Upon arriving at the dinner hall we were taken to our table asked to order our food, then the wine waiter come.  I ordered the wine, he came back whilst I was half way through my starter.  I had to stop eating and rifle through my bag, as he insisted that he have payment at once.  He made me feel as though he needed payment in case I would not have the money later.  This ruined our whole meal, as after this we were furious!! We payed for the meal and went straight through to the front desk to complain.  There was still no sign of my fiancé's cake at this point, so I had to spoil his surprise and complain as well! The wine waiter came through to the lounge where we were now sitting and sort of apologised, but maintained that it was 'company policy' to ask for payment, well not when someone is busy eating, I found it very rude!!! They found my fiancé's cake and brought it out. I felt the surprise was spoilt though.
The next morning, I was going to use the bathroom and I was rained on, water was coming thorough the light in the bathroom.  We informed the front desk staff (different staff this time) who seem very concerned and went straight up to investigate.  Have no idea if it was fixed for the next guests as we had to check out.

In conclusion, I really think that before people come and stay here they should be told the company is in receivership we had to find this out from the trip adviser website.  It explains a lot.  I think changing some company policies might help the situation!!,

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank Gem-marie30
Reviewed 26 February 2012

having read the reviews we were a little concerned , but rang in advance and asked for a room that thad been recommended on this site!
I had bought a 2 night stay from KGB. Our room was 202. recently refurbished and very pleasant, partial sea view and room was very clean. Bedding and towels spotless.
Yes, the hotel is a little tired, uneven floors and very creaky floorboard but it all adds to the character of the hotel. Overall it was very clean, the lounge area was big with new and modern setees and the bar area was also very pleasant. The breakfast was excellent!! A varied choice of cereals, fresh fruit and a lovlely full cooked english that was not greasy! I don't think a lot of these reviews are about the hotel but just personal choice! The staff were great, the location was great, and so what.... we had to park in the NCP ! Value for money we had a great weekend! Would I pay full rate?? maybe not. But for a discounted weekend I would go again.If I had one complaint it was the heating, it was like a sauna ! We also had an old style TV with just 5 channels but do you go away for a weekend to watch TV??? I slept like a top and yes the seagulls were noisy buy "Hey you're at the seaside" .

Room Tip: Nice room 202, street view, partial sea view
1  Thank MarianSouthYorkshire
Reviewed 22 February 2012

just spent the weekend at the royal on a kgb deal £79 for 2 nights and included breakfast and a complimentary drink in the bar.when we got to our room we had no electricity and i thought it was too good to be true but i rang down to recption and as soon as i put the phone down there was a knock at the door and was sorted straight awaywe had a room with a sea view which i thought we would have had to pay extra for it was a massive room with seperate bathroom and flat screen tv with freeview.The only othe rproblem was the heating was not working so we mentioned this at reception on our way out when we returned there was 2 electric heaters in the room which was more than warm enough.the breakfast was lovely and all the staff were friendly would definately stay here agai in the same room 322

Room Tip: 322 would definately stay here again large room with a sea view
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We went on a KGB break, so it was quite good value. The room we had was rather dingy and needed an update - glad we were only in it for one night and not a week! Couldn't fault the breakfast, that was excellent.
The hotel doesn't have any parking facilities. We were recommended by the hotel to use the NCP car park which was a short walk away and cost £8 for a 24 hour stay.
Would we stay there again? - probably not.

Reviewed 20 February 2012

this hotel has been lovely in its day, it was clean but the room we stayed in needs updating, we had blankets on the bed, the tv was an old box type and also only a few channels! there was alot of tell tale signs that this hotel was in financial trouble. the staff were all polite. breakfast was good.location was great. no parking facilities either.