“Ok, but nothing more.”

Ranked #27 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Warwick
“Ok, but nothing more.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2012

Stayed here on a voucher deal and so didn't pay full price thankfully. Check in was quick and the main staircase is really lovely, annyoing that you have to park in the town car park, this is a good 5 minute walk and £8 for a 24 hour period, you do get a 10% discount card but for a 2 night stay it does rack up the money a bit. Upon arrival in the room it was mainly clean but was looking quite dated and the double bed was up against the wall so be prepared for you to have to climb over your partner to get out of bed. Some wall paper peeling off, window had a towel in it to allow it to remain closed properly and bathroom was ok but shower head clogged with limescale so not very powerful and water going every which way out of it! The room also looked on to the inner courtyard which means we had a view of other windows and some generator units. Breakfast was ok and was hot but not masses of choice if you don't want a full english. Overall the hotel was average, we didn't go to the poor but in one of the stairwells you could smell the overpowering chlorine! My real annoyance with the hotel however was the floor, it slanted all over the place, creaked and to be honest in some places felt incredibly unsafe! Was an ok stop for 2 nights but will not be rushing to stay again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (749)
  • Polish first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2012

Stayed here on a Voucher Deal for a couple of nights on arrival we were given a room 528 on the 5th floor& informed that the lift wasn't working ,As my Wife has mobility issues I asked if somewhere other than a 5th floor room could be made available,I was told no ,We were then informed that the lift went up to the 4th floor & it was just the matter of a few stairs,so off we set lift up to 4thfloor followed by a 3day camel ride on sloping floors through Disco lit corridors, to our final destination Room528 .I would like to place the whole hotel in Room 101,the floor slopes the window wont close the room had descended past shabby & was hovering between Black hole of Calcutta & a Long Kesh Hblock to be honest Bear Gryls wouldn't stop here ,Dining room dirty cups sugar bowl caked with food debris.Demolish it & start again

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ian C

Travellers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

mansfield
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2012

All went well with reception - lovely staff - booked our evening meal for 7.30. The room was a little dated and fraying round the edges but it was large with a lovely sea view which made up for the failings. The problem started when we went for our meal. At 7.30 we were told "some bed and breakfast guests had opted for an evening meal so there were no tables for two". Now I'd call this either theft or fraud as we had paid well in advance for our meal and the hotel has sold it twice! The manager was called for but was too busy to come, the restaurant staff were tearing their hair out at the situation caused by selling our meal slots to the coach party!
To cut a long story short I went back an hour later and helped set up tables for 8 or 10 of us in a corner and the food was lovely.

Room Tip: Get a sea view.
3 Thank gramps01
Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2012

Stayed here for a couple of nights on a voucher deal. The hotel itself is a bit tired and the breakfast was akin to school dinners. The room however had been recently renovated and was modern with a reasonable bed, clean bathroom and flat screen tv - just as well as the view out was of a side building, not that you could see much as I don't think the windows had been cleaned for a few years.

2 Thank Ross_Eld
Rotherham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2012

Recently had a 2 night stay at the Royal Hotel in Scarborough. Myself and my partner booked through KGB deals so got a bargain. Thank goodness we didnt pay full price! I am not sure if you are put in the grottiest rooms as you havent paid full price but ours was very poor! This hotel when it opened would have been a very grand glamorous place to stay but I dont think it has been decorated since. We were given the keys to our room on the 3rd floor and was told to use the lifts. There are two lifts in this building and one was out of order and they only hold 3 people, 2 with luggage! I dread to think what would happen in the event of a fire as most of the guests staying here appear to be aged 60+. We opened the door to our room and I was horrified at the state of the decor! The ceiling had wallpaper on which was hanging off complete with a large stained patch where it had clearly leaked. The bathroom was ok but the shower head was clogged with limescale so wasnt very powerful. Cannot comment on the evening meal as we only had bed and breakfast. The breakfast was surprinsly good but totally disorganised. There was a sign telling you to wait to be seated and wait we did, and wait and wait and wait. In the end we just went and sat down as the staff just seemed to ignore us. If you go to this hotel take ear plugs or a shot gun or both as the seagulls are a nightmare! In summary this hotel needs millions spent on it with double glazing and a full decorating job. I would be embarrassed to have people stay in this hotel if I owned it! Very shabby indeed!

Room Tip: Are they any good rooms I ask myself!
3 Thank Caza41
Tyne and Wear
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2012

The Royal Hotel is a period property that caters for a lot of visitors possibly in the same way as it once did. On arrival, the guest is treated to a visual feast of a wonderful grand staircase and stairwell that raises the eyes to the roof & drops the jaw to the ground.
I arrived early in order to find a public parking space & was informed that I wasn't allowed into the room until 3pm, maybe that's a policy I can possibly accept but on returning later, my roommate, travelling from a different direction, gained access to the room key and was away collecting his remaining luggage in a distant car park. I was told that there was only one key per room & was left homeless with a variety of luggage for some time while I sat waiting in both the dark corridor & on the main staircase in case I missed him. The hotel room we were given was located down a series of corridors in what seemed like a historic extension to the building. The room was of a reasonable size with a floor that severely sloped to the door and decor and furniture that needed updating. Sometimes an old hotel can warrant period furniture but not an excuse for ignoring it. To be fair the small bathroom had been modernised in more recent years to what would be an acceptable standard. I don't stay in hotel rooms for the view but presumably the unkempt wall of windows across the yard was another part of the hotel which was very depressing to look at. The buffet breakfast was of a reasonable standard that I would expect in a less expensive 3 star B&B elsewhere in town.
In summarising, I didn't book this hotel & probably wouldn't have chosen it from my trip advisor search. I try to be fair in my reviews but the historic hotel & policies are in need of an upgrade and is the epitome of why large English seaside resort hotels live in the past & gradually let standards remain in the past & with it eventually the visitors in the past. In the 21st century, as with other establishments, the customer expects a better quality product for such a price & particularly in a place that uses the name & peoples expectations of the word "Royal" !

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank J_on_tour1
solihull england
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2012

Have just spent 2 nights at the royal having read the reveiws was not looking forward to going.
Well i was suprised okay it does need acoat of paint but what a grand looking building inside yes
the carpets to need replacing our room clean tidy bathroom clean towels ok.The staff were excellant very helpfull we went in pool it does need tidying up but okay breakfast was excellant
plenty of choice all pipeing hot overall we had a good time and would go back again.
I do hope the new owners do renovate the hotel.

Room Tip: you can upgrade your room worth it
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends