“Needs renovating”

Royal Hotel Scarborough
Ranked #25 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed 20 September 2012

Stayed at the Roal Hotel Scarborough recently. The staff wre very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was excellent. The whole building is dire need of renovation. Also our son and daughter stayed in with us, unfortunatley in a family room on the 4th floor with the lift out of order. With two small children they had to encounter the stairs to and from their room.

Room Tip: Avoid room aove the firist floor until the lift is repaired.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank chelseaYork

Reviewed 20 September 2012

We just got back from a two night stay a few days ago and we had a lovely time! Must admit, I was a bit worried from reading the reviews but didn't see what all the fuss was about!
It was a surprise getaway for my partner and we both had nothing bad to say. Room was spacious and clean; we only had a standard double room and it had everything we could ask for two nights! Service for us prompt, polite and friendly, and the food was gorgeous!
We are a young couple and we loved the Hotel's older style and decor.
We went into the Spa and the pool water was lovely and warm - very relaxing to sit in the sauna for a bit too!
We would go back again, as it's a nice hotel and area to just escape and relax for a little bit!

1  Thank Teri-Lee F
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Stayed here for 1 night as a last minute deal booked through bookit.com
Have passed this when I have been visiting Scarborough and thought to give a try
It is looking a bit shabby but the communal areas not too bad
No lift to the 5th floor where our room was located lots of steps and winding around corridors small bed, very tiny window which made the room quite dark and impossible to see out of, bore no resmblence to the room I thought I had booked.
To add insult to injury was made to pay a £2.00 admin fee for paying with my debit card - get real. Unable to get a drink in the bar at 9pm due to the bar staff had disappeared so gave up and went bed!!

Room Tip: Don't book at the last minute as you could end up anywhere, especially if you are not fit as n...
Reviewed 17 September 2012

I'll start with the positives first. The hotel is in a great location and the staff we came in to contact with were all very friendly and helpful. The breakfasts were very nice and there was plenty of choice.
Unfortunately there are more negatives than positives which is a shame as i can imagine at its peak the hotel must have been a wonderful place to stay. From what we saw the whole place needs some attention and a damn good clean as it seems years of neglect have taken there toll. The carpets are worn and marked in places, wall paper was hanging off, marks and stains on a lots of the walls in the corridoors and in our room, the furniture in our room was filthy, the bathroom was mouldy and limescale a plenty and the shower was poor.
We also had a little bug problem, whilst i cannot be certain they were bed bugs as i haven't had the misfortune to see them before, but comparing the numerous ones we saw in our room to pictures on the internet i believe they were and if they weren't bed bugs they were very closely related!! So please be careful if you do stop here that when you leave you are not taking home more than you would like as i understand they are a pain to get rid of.
Having said all of this and to be fair the hotel did have workmen in the hotel whilst we were there so hopefully work has already commenced to make the much needed improvements but until those are completed i would be careful if you do stay here and perhaps leave it a while until the works are finished.

1  Thank Claire_Steve_P
Reviewed 16 September 2012

Having read the recent reviews I am wondering if we stayed at the same hotel as everyone else. Staff very friendly, food was lovely and varied, particularly breakfast, swimming pool very clean and inviting, room was clean and serviced after breakfast. 42 inch TV, and afantastic view looking out to sea. No complaints for the value for money.

3  Thank Jan M
Reviewed 16 September 2012

Have stayed in this hotel in the past and have enjoyed it. However, I didn't realise Brittania hotels had taken over recently. Have stayed in their hotels before and after the last one, vowed I would never stay in one again. We stayed Saturday to Tuesday of the bank holiday weekend in August. We had several complaints and tried to deal with it at the time. After several visits to reception, we finally got to talk to the general manager who seemed to genuinely care about the hotel and us. Said he would talk to his manager about our complaints and get back to us within the week. After a week and a half, I emailed him and got no reply. Have emailed head office and received a reply stating they have passed our comments to the hotel manager!! I have replied to ask why and am still waiting for a reply.
I have read other reviews and can't believe some people had lovely clean rooms and pleasant staff. There must be a couple of nice rooms kept for the lucky few!!!
I am going to look into who is the governing body and send my complaints to them. This is such a shame as it used to such a lovely hotel.
Would not recommend this or any other Britannia hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank ah0lden
Reviewed 15 September 2012

There was lots to like about this hotel from my stay last night and today. The top ones were: the location, the grandeur, the room, the pool, the bathroom, and the staff. I read some of the other reviews before I went and had some concerns but was very pleasantly surprised.

The location itself cannot be beaten. Step outside and cross the road and you have one of the best views in Scarborough - the beach, the sea, the castle, the promontory - and fantastic access to everywhere. The cliff lift which comes up from the beach in season drops you right on the doorstep. Round the corner to the left is the start of town, round the corner to the right some super restaurants and a sweeping view and access over the little bridge to south cliff, and walking to/from anywhere in the main part of Scarborough (e.g. the Stephen Joseph theatre or the train station) is only 5-10 minutes. I didn't have to 'plan' going anywhere as I could always pop back in and drop off my shopping :-) or just go to use the loo or for a little rest which was very helpful.

I loved the grand sweep of the entrance lobby with its superb staircases. Beware when you first step in there are so many mirrors that you might be momentarily disorientated! The decor yes is a little old though not as much as I expected (and I found it charming), and totally offset by the fantastic structure of the lobby with its pillars and open hallways. The staff were perfectly helpful, answered my questions, and let me drop off and pick up luggage after check-out with no problems. I had a morning swim in the pool all to myself, which was magic! It's downstairs in a kind of grotto, and quite petite and curvy, so don't expect to get lengths-training in, but possibly because of this it was the warmest pool I have ever been in - more like warm bathwater temperature, and totally comfortable. The jacuzzi was still out-of-order but with the pool so relaxing I didn't mind.

I was impressed by the room which was light and quiet; an entrance lobby leads left into the bedroom and right into the bathroom, so it was more of a 'suite'! The bathroom had an actual bath, which I appreciated as it's rare to find as most hotels skimp with just a shower. There were extra items in the wardrobe, including spare pillows, blanket, iron and ironing board, and a generous supply of quality toiletries in the bathroom.

The restaurant / cafe / bar / lounge was a comfortable place to chill out with a great view. The breakfast was average, with bland black pudding but good creamy scrambled eggs.

I paid the off-peak price of £45 for a night so I felt I had got good value for the location, facilities, and convenience. (If I had paid £120 or whatever I might have expected more so I think they should be more straightforward about their varied pricing.) I didn't see anything horrible here - some plaster flaking by the pool (but pools make that happen) and some of the plants had drooped in the front windowboxes - but really nothing bad and although I'm not the finger-wiping type I would have noticed any mould or noise or gaps or anything like that. So all in all I would go again, and this would probably make my shortlist of hotels to consider first, long with Fountains Court (holistic therapy place on north cliff) and the Ambassador (great pool, south cliff location, but much smaller room when I went).

Room Tip: I asked for 'a quiet room with light please' (as usual) and it was both quiet and light...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo