“A once elegant hotel, let down by poor upkeep”

Royal Hotel Scarborough
Ranked #25 of 26 Hotels in Scarborough
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Stayed two nights at the end of September. First impression is great, beautiful hotel over looking the bay, gorgeous lobby with a double staircase, attentive staff, relaxing spacious lounge and bar area, large dining room, all well maintained and furnished. The rest of the building though felt quite run down, carpets in the hall way very loose and gathered - almost a trip hazard, aged decor. Tray of dirty glasses on our floor were left uncollected for 24 hours. Our room looked like it had been last updated 20 years ago, felt tired. Old box television, far too small for the room. No wifi in rooms which I would expect to be standard for a hotel of this size, wifi only available in lounge area and connectivity was very poor at best - often none at all. No onsite parking - pay and display across the road. However, room was clean and quite, and the bed very comfortable. Breakfast was suberb, polite and efficient staff.

Would be nice to see some money spent on restoring the upper levels of this hotel to its former glory. Decent value for the location and the breakfast.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pubworkuk
GM-Britannia, General Manager at Royal Hotel Scarborough, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your recent stay. Thank you for your observations, these can only be used to improve the service we offer.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

we stayed in the royal hotel scarborough on some reviews that we read said that the hotel rooms are and that they had not been cleaned but we did not find this our room was very clean and tidy the only down side to our room was not having a sea view the breakfast was good and cooked well.

Room Tip: get a sea view room
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post your constructive feedback. I would like to sincerely apologise for the service you received in the hotel and will address this with our team. I was sorry too, that not everything went according to plan during your experience at the hotel and will certainly investigate the issues raised with our team.

Please be assured that this is not our usual standard of customer service and look forward to having the opportunity of restoring your faith in our hotel once again.

Please contact me personally when booking your next stay and I will certainly do what I can to enhance your stay.

Reviewed 5 October 2013

We have stayed at this hotel before but will not return again. We had a 2 night stay and wished we had left after one. Our room was very dusty and not cleaned well, the throw on the bed was stained, we had paid extra for a sea view but struggled to see it through the dirty windows. The bathroom was very tired with a leaking toilet and loose seat. The package included dinner both nights the service was very slow and the food poor. Very disappointed after previous stays

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DurhamLesley

Thank you for your feedback, I was very sorry to learn that not everything went according to plan and at this stage can only apologise for any frustrations or upset caused. I will certainly address the issues raised as you should expect a certain standard and this was not delivered. I would like to assure you that this is certainly by no means our usual standard of quality or service, and I would hope this one off experience has not tainted your view of our hotel.

Please contact me personally when next staying at The Royal and I will do what I can to further enhance your stay.

Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Royal Hotel after a previous stay last year. We were very disappointed this year and will not be returning. Our room had a wall that was damp and had obviously been covered up to hide the problem with a picture. It rained one night during our stay and the wall was wet through once again. The food was of a reasonable quality, however the service was incredibly slow with only 3 waiters on one evening meaning that in one hour all we had received was our starter. The hotel appears to be very shabby, it is sad to see what was once a prestigious hotel in such a sad state. The only thing going for this hotel is the location which is central for everything Scarborough has to offer.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank MelandAdr

Reviewed 3 October 2013

The Staff are great! However the rooms are tired and really need a refurb, as does the rest of the Hotel. The food is poor - they tried to pass off white fish as "fresh mackarel" and it's all aimed at the 'senior market'.

Room Tip: The Grand, round the corner, is run by the same company but cheaper. Try there
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank travoman

Reviewed 3 October 2013

Quite disappointed. I am not usually one to moan but we booked this through a cheap deal on Groupon but I would not have been happy if we had paid full price. The room was ok... apart from some furniture in the room was covered in stains. The windows were very dirty and there were some mould stains on the ceiling. We also had a view of the Council buildings over the road so people could see straight into our room. The shower had hardly any power whatsoever. In the dining area the windows are all cracked which does not create a good impression of the hotel as soon as you see it. When we went for breakfast in the morning the plates are that hot that they actually burnt our hands and we had to be carry them back to our table with a serviette. The food was really nice though and staff were professional on the up side.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

I am sorry to read that we haven’t met your expectations of the service we offer here at the hotel. We appreciate you taking the time to post your comments. Perhaps if you had given us the opportunity to discuss your comments and observations at the time, we could have had the opportunity to address them. We can only improve the service we offer by receiving both positive and constructive comments.

Reviewed 2 October 2013

This hotel has faded from its former glories, although some of its previous opulence is still visible when you look up from the ground floor to view the incredible atrium that goes up through the building.

It was a reasonable price to stay here and our room was moderately clean with only a few cobwebs and slightly shabby paper on the ceiling. The bathroom was good apart from a sulphurous smell that came from the plughole of the washbasin. A similar pong was also evident in the lift!

Meals were very good, although breakfast was not enhanced by being made to stand in line to wait for a table, when there were plenty available. The dining room windows have seen better days. We sat near an ill fitting window frame, where the window had a small hole smashed in it and a few cobwebs; not something that makes your dinner appetising!

Room Tip: Don't have a room at the back of the hotel at the weekend because it can be quite noisy until th...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple