Royal Hotel Scarborough
US$173
Palm Court Hotel(Scarborough)
US$201
US$140
The Crown Spa Hotel(Scarborough)
US$657
US$153
US$108
PremierInn.com
2,615 results
All reviewsplenty of hot waterplenty of choicesea fronttown centrefull englishseafront
Reviewed 16 November 2013

First of all - I would just say don't stay in Britannia Hotel. The way they operate the business is disgusting. I felt like I had been robbed by them - they took my money and I got nothing in return. I booked my trip during the half term week for myself and my partner through late rooms. We booked a double room at the the 4* 'accredited' royal hotel (with gym and pool) which also belongs to Britannia. After driving 200 miles we arrived at the Royal hotel and tried to check in only to be told to wait in the lounge. We booked this hotel because of the pool and gym but found out upon arrival that they were closed for 3 weeks...there was nothing on the hotel website to say this because I checked the facilities etc before we booked. After 30 minutes we were getting irritated and my partner went to find out why we couldn't just check into our room. We were told that they were full and we were being moved to another hotel in Scarborough The Grand. Never have I come across such an un-aptly named place! We put our luggage back in the car and drove across to the Grand. We were told that we were getting a double upgrade which sounded great - until we saw the room! Yuk. it was a small, dirty overheated, worn and outdated room with a disgusting bathroom and twin beds. If this was a double upgrade I cannot imagine what the other rooms were like. We were very unhappy about this as the room just wasn't acceptable. We had been downgraded to a twin room in a 3* hotel with no leisure facilities - even though the hotel staff kept insisting we could use the facilities at the Royal - I explained to them they were closed for 3 weeks but this was news to them! The room was totally unacceptable for a 4 night stay. We complained to reception that the room was not acceptable and were told to wait in an area through some double doors. They are clearly used to dealing with complaints as this was the hotel equivalent of the 'naughty step' to move you away from the other guests who might overhear that you are not happy. we spoke to a manager who was clearly completely disinterested in us. We told him the room was unacceptable and we were not offered another room. We then asked for our money back and was told that this was not possible. Once you pay your money to Britannia you have lost it. We then spoke to the Operations Manager who also told us that we could not have a refund. We could have that room or leave with nothing. The two managers we spoke to really couldn't have cared less about us at all. After driving for hours and being moved from our original hotel to one we didn't book we were pretty miserable. The staff are obviously very unhappy too and they clearly have a lot of complaints to deal with. We are still trying to get our money back and I will never use a Britannia hotel again!

3  Thank yorkshirefroglover
GM-Britannia, General Manager at Royal Hotel Scarborough, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your constructive feedback. I would like to sincerely apologise for the service you received in the hotel and will address this with our team. I was sorry too, that not everything went according to plan during your experience at the hotel and will certainly investigate the issues raised with our team.

Please be assured that this is not our usual standard of customer service and look forward to having the opportunity of restoring your faith in our hotel once again.

Please contact me personally when booking your next stay and I will certainly do what I can to enhance your stay.

Reviewed 16 November 2013

We returned last week for the 5th or 6th time . After being disappointed that we couldn,t get the room we had requested we were given a much bigger room with a sea view on the 4th floor. It was definitely an improvement to the 3rd floor one which we had always had. It had been refurbished and although the squeaky floors were still evident the décor was more up to date. The bathroom was large and did not have a separate shower (not a lot of them do).
We return every year because of the standard of food. Again we were not disappointed. There was plenty of choice and was nicely served.
The exterior of the hotel needs a coat of paint but I gather there is work in progress.
We will return again I am sure.

Room Tip: Go for a sea view room.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your time in posting your comments,

Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

As we went to find our room(on the top floor) unimpressed the lift does not go that far,we saw the name beryl evett suite,then opened the door...to find we were in the penthouse!!! Wow!!!
2 bedrooms,2 tv's,lounge with sofas and dining table,huge bathroom with bath and shower.bathrobes included,here for 6 nights as working locally,with a room like this it takes your mind off work.
Downside-no parking ncp carpark!!
Normal buffet style breakfast, 100 % better and 100% cleaner than the sister hotel the grand.I recommend this hotel from the two.and if you fancy spoiling someone - book the penthouse/suites

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank MandyTurner7

Thank you for taking the time to comment on the hotel, we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

We were staying for one night and picked this hotel for the swimming pool and spa facilities which looked lovely on the website. The foyer looks very impressive when you enter and it was nicely decorated for Christmas. However when we went to reception there was a notice stating the swimming pool and spa facilities were closed for health and safety reasons. When we asked the receptionist she confirmed that the swimming pool was closed for refurbishment to fix broken tiles etc. Therefore if these facilities were not available that should have been clearly stated as that was the reason we picked this particular hotel.

When we entered the room the door knob was virtually falling off, the wallpaper was ripped in places and the shower curtain was dirty and there was hair in the bath. We went back to reception and asked for a nicer room, without checking the receptionist said the hotel was full and she would ask maintenance to resolve our problems. As she didn't write down our room number I didn't expect any action to be taken so at least I wasn't disappointed in that as no-one came, a clean shower curtain would have at least helped.

Breakfast was uninspiring and we were definitely left to self serve as no-one asked us whether we wanted tea or coffee, the maitre d'hote had to come and ask us, but forgot to bring milk. The food was bland but edible.

When we checked out we were not asked how our stay was, the receptionist just took the keys, so overall our stay was not pleasant, we feel as though we paid for facilities we were not able to use and we definitely picked the wrong hotel. I would not stay here again.

4  Thank LouLou545

Reviewed 3 November 2013

We had a rather grubby overnight stay at the Royal Hotel. It has a beautiful entrance but once you are passed that it is old and grubby. Hair in the bath room from someone's head and well from some where else too! The hot water ran cold most of the time. Bathroom window had a towel over it to stop the draft! Wall paper hanging off the walls in some areas. Breakfast was horrible!!!! The breakfast bar needed wiping becasue it was alll sticky. I would not stop there again!

Room Tip: people at the front of the hotel complained about the noise (it was Saturday night) There are quite a lot of bars near by
2  Thank tracey w