“never again”

Ranked #27 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
“never again”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Just spent the weekend at the royal hotel scarborough. Oh My God!!! first thing you notice is the smell that hits you as you enter the foyer. Seaview room, yes, lovely and spacious, but that is about it, all furniture dated and seen better days. luke warm water, carper old, sticky and filthy, to match the 2 armchairs in the room. Very very noisy at night, could hear everyone going home from the 2 pubs down the road, can recommend the pubs, food was gorgeous there. Breakfast totally disgusting, porridge was a sight to behold!!! so didn't dare go for evening meal, and ate out for the 2 nights.
we had read the reviews on this hotel before we went, but thought we would give it a chance, but never again, all the reviews we read were correct.

Room Tip: stay at another hotel!!
4 Thank susan k
GM-Britannia, General Manager at Royal Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your recent stay. Thank you for your observations, these can only be used to improve the service we offer.

Simon Powell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (757)
  • Polish first
sunworshipper012
Reviewed 22 November 2013

my partner n i went here for a few days.this hotel is in a great position beside both the shops n south beach
1)our bedroom did not have a sea view but we did not pay to have one as you aré not in your room a lot.it was nice room.very clean n fresh towels every day.i could not fault it .we were either lucky or people like to moan.we did have a problem with our door but was fixed in minutes now that is service .
2)the lounge bar is really nice and comfey a nice place to sit and read.went to the entertainment the first night the singers and dancers was not for us and if im honestnot for the other guests either. .we did decide to try it again n Dougie the entertainer was brillante.that is what you call entertainment.wish he had been on every night .so thanks Dougie.
3)now for the only negative the food.breakfast was good but the dinner wasnt .soup salad n pudding were fine but the the main course was cold and dried out and not edible.however the week we went the chef was off so it was buffet sevice rather than waiter service.so im sure next time we go it will be better.it was a nice break.

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank sunworshipper012
GM-Britannia, General Manager at Royal Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, 17 December 2013

lincoln
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We were shown to our room with a sea View.You could see the sea if you removed your head.we were moved to another room which had light s out bath taps falling of mould around the bath/sink exposed wiring on the electric towel rail.In the health spa nothing worked and was very run down.On the plus side staff we're good and the food was nice.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank johnyda07
Thank you for your feedback, I was very sorry to learn that not everything went according to plan and at this stage can only apologise for any frustrations or upset caused. I will certainly address the issues raised as you should expect a certain standard and this was not delivered. I would like to assure you that this is certainly by no means our usual standard of quality or service, and I would hope this one off experience has not tainted your view of our hotel.

Please contact me personally when next staying at The Royal and I will do what I can to further enhance your stay.

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Hotel very grand but a bit dated. The staff are very friendly. Rooms are clean but if you like hospital type hotels this one is not for you as it is a tad shabby in a grand way. rooms are cleaned daily and maids are really polite. The food is okay but could be better. overall its value for money for what you get.

Room Tip: ask for sea veiw

Flint, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Very Tired Hotel, in dire need of refurbishment. Very Noisy on Friday and Saturday nights if you have a room at the Front of the Hotel, don't expect to sleep much. Very disappointed with my stay. Will not be returning.

Room Tip: I would recommend a room at the back, won't have much of a view, but could be quieter.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank gwraig66

Simon Powell

Travellers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Edinburgh
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Once a grand hotel with a fabulous staircase down to reception, you could make a very elegant entrance. Mainly elderly coach parties, but you don't need to socialise. The staff are very helpful, the cabaret laughable, but very Butlins. There is a quaint pool in the basement but sadly closed for refurbishment when I was there, check before booking. I upgraded to a sea view room, well worth it, it's in a brilliant location overlooking the front.Good quality of furniture and a massive bed. Easy walk from the station and the beach.
Breakfast was cheap and lukewarm and there was a very rude maitre d'.
Sorry to see that rupertwalkies only gives it 1 star. I think that's harsh - I think that if you visit any seafront hotel in the UK you'll find most fixtures encrusted with bird poo, goes with the territory mate.

Room Tip: Worth getting a suite with a sea view, bit pricier, but hey, you're on your holidays. Go out for...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Paulus Paradiddle

derbyshire
Reviewed 16 November 2013

First of all - I would just say don't stay in Britannia Hotel. The way they operate the business is disgusting. I felt like I had been robbed by them - they took my money and I got nothing in return. I booked my trip during the half term week for myself and my partner through late rooms. We booked a double room at the the 4* 'accredited' royal hotel (with gym and pool) which also belongs to Britannia. After driving 200 miles we arrived at the Royal hotel and tried to check in only to be told to wait in the lounge. We booked this hotel because of the pool and gym but found out upon arrival that they were closed for 3 weeks...there was nothing on the hotel website to say this because I checked the facilities etc before we booked. After 30 minutes we were getting irritated and my partner went to find out why we couldn't just check into our room. We were told that they were full and we were being moved to another hotel in Scarborough The Grand. Never have I come across such an un-aptly named place! We put our luggage back in the car and drove across to the Grand. We were told that we were getting a double upgrade which sounded great - until we saw the room! Yuk. it was a small, dirty overheated, worn and outdated room with a disgusting bathroom and twin beds. If this was a double upgrade I cannot imagine what the other rooms were like. We were very unhappy about this as the room just wasn't acceptable. We had been downgraded to a twin room in a 3* hotel with no leisure facilities - even though the hotel staff kept insisting we could use the facilities at the Royal - I explained to them they were closed for 3 weeks but this was news to them! The room was totally unacceptable for a 4 night stay. We complained to reception that the room was not acceptable and were told to wait in an area through some double doors. They are clearly used to dealing with complaints as this was the hotel equivalent of the 'naughty step' to move you away from the other guests who might overhear that you are not happy. we spoke to a manager who was clearly completely disinterested in us. We told him the room was unacceptable and we were not offered another room. We then asked for our money back and was told that this was not possible. Once you pay your money to Britannia you have lost it. We then spoke to the Operations Manager who also told us that we could not have a refund. We could have that room or leave with nothing. The two managers we spoke to really couldn't have cared less about us at all. After driving for hours and being moved from our original hotel to one we didn't book we were pretty miserable. The staff are obviously very unhappy too and they clearly have a lot of complaints to deal with. We are still trying to get our money back and I will never use a Britannia hotel again!

3 Thank yorkshirefroglover
Thank you for taking the time to post your constructive feedback. I would like to sincerely apologise for the service you received in the hotel and will address this with our team. I was sorry too, that not everything went according to plan during your experience at the hotel and will certainly investigate the issues raised with our team.

Please be assured that this is not our usual standard of customer service and look forward to having the opportunity of restoring your faith in our hotel once again.

Please contact me personally when booking your next stay and I will certainly do what I can to enhance your stay.