“One of the worst hotels in scarborough rather travel lodge”

Royal Hotel Scarborough
Ranked #27 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
“One of the worst hotels in scarborough rather travel lodge”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Stayed for 1 night...unfortunatly refurbishment has started which was not mentioned anywhere when booked.. found workmen unprofessional as 2 men were messing about in the lift when we were trying to go to are room. Tv in room was tempermental. Heated pool and sauna were cold. Then to top it of was disturbed at 1.30am by people shouting and banging on door and again at 8pm byworkmen....didnt enjoy are stay best thing about it was leaving

• Stayed March 2014
3 Thank jennieboo
GM-Britannia, General Manager at Royal Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Thank you for your feedback, I was very sorry to learn that not everything went according to plan and at this stage can only apologise for any frustrations or upset caused. I will certainly address the issues raised as you should expect a certain standard and this was not delivered. I would like to assure you that this is certainly by no means our usual standard of quality or service, and I would hope this one off experience has not tainted your view of our hotel.

Please contact me personally when next staying at The Royal and I will do what I can to further enhance your stay.

Simon Powell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (754)
  • Polish first
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I will point out from the start we booked this via a offer site at a good rate, I paid extra for early check in and an upgraded room with a sea view. The hotel upon arrival was impressive from the inside. The staff were friendly and helpful. Our room was large with a sea view, overlooking the front of the hotel. Our deal included a meal on our first night and access to the Spa area. We used the spa only on the first afternoon as there was no member of staff on duty to ask information, the lockers in the changing rooms do not lock( you have to take your own padlock, never explained) The swimming pool is cloudy, the iceberg effects have vents in that are surrounded by black mould and it is running down the wall in places. The spa tub was half empty and out of action. The sauna was barely warmer than my lounge and as stated no staff to ask about these things. The evening meal was of a good quality but the service quite slow. The waitresses were flying about but maybe the problem was else where. The buffet style breakfast on both mornings was excellent except for only one toaster working and that only doing one side of bread.
It transpired that on the Saturday evening there was a private function clearly pre booked that used the main guest areas including bar and dining room. These are the main areas for Wi-Fi. A smaller bar was opened and another dining area for guest I think. This was never made clear at any part of our booking or check-in. When the event finished the noise of the people leaving was horrendous as our room was over looking the front door and went on for sometime. In hind sight the key to this is not pay for an upgraded room as not only the hotel event created noise but it would appear that every drunken person in Scarborough takes as a route home via the front of the Royal Hotel and want to discuss their affairs at the top of their voices until about 3.00 am on a Friday and Saturday night( I appreciate The Royal has no control over this)
The bathroom window over looks the front and although the window is heavily frosted, if you are shy then good luck as it is fairly clear what use you are putting the room to especially with the lights as there are no blinds or curtains at the window.

The main thing from is do not waste your money on a sea view upgrade as it may affect your good nights sleep.

Would we stay again, probably not as the hotel is getting tired, wall paper peeling in the bedroom, carpets starting to become threadbare. The spa area is not good. This is a shame as the hotel is in a great location and the staff are good it just needs Britannia Hotels to spend some money. We were not the only people to think this as at breakfast on Saturday morning there were lots of critical discussions going on.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the sea are premium rooms nut come at a cost to your sleep(See above)
3 Thank Tickover2002

Lancashire
Reviewed 1 March 2014

But we booked through Groupon and got Room, Breakfast, Dinner and a Bottle of Wine for £59 - wife's 50th birthday treat!

We arrived booked in for dinner and it was plain sailing... dinner with quality wine was fantastic (quality you'd expect from a 4* hotel) breakfast was every bit as high quality!

Room - got a large sea view room with a king sized bed... bathroom was as big as a single room!

Pool/Sauna/Steam room was a lovely place to unwind...

£59 for all that... well worth double that!!! :)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank paulnpaula
Thank you for taking the time to comment on the hotel, we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Just returned from budget break. Twin booked, double bed on arrival (later split) 2 hand towels only, one on floor of wardrobe. Brown water stain on ceiling. Two cups, one saucer for tea/coffee. Next morning shower conked out during first use, I didn't get shower at all. Staff tried 2 other rooms, showers also defunct. Said if we re-packed all our clothes they would move us to a sea-view room. Going downstairs to breakfast from 5th floor bannisters wobbly and coming away from stairwell with large crack. Public areas dirty with mouldy net curtains at windows. Sea-view room (premium?) provided, sash window rotten on cill and frame, difficult to open and close. Thanked staff for changing room then found this shower was also not fit for purpose as encrusted with limescale and running tepid for rest of stay. Plus this hotel group do not provide bath mats for the floor! Am just getting over broken wrist so slippery floor a nightmare. Room had cobwebs on ceiling and walls, dust on furniture, pathetic hairdryer and by the end of stay only half-made beds. Food o.k. but coffee half cold most mornings, no tongs for bread/rolls so potential hygiene/health issue. Most of staff average, Irena excellent and only one to offer any apology. Whilst this was a budget break, we still expect basic standards, this did not have them. All this helped to spoil our holiday. Will never use a Britannia hotel again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Iris S

Simon Powell

Travellers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Pontefract, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We stayed here for one night this February 2014 ..the booking process was ok with Hotels4U but a mix up with our HB supplement we paid.. It got sorted in the end.
We arrived early at 11am and the receptionist said we could have our room at 3pm, but another member of the maid staff overheard and said our room would be ready by 12 noon, for which we were grateful.
The room was lovely, large, warm and clean with crisp white bedding and white towels.,,it had a wonderful but abit dusty chandelier in also. The bathroom was quite modern ..but when we tried to have a shower that evening there was NO HOT WATER at all, for a bath or shower..it just ran cold all the time. We rang reception who after a lot of waiting , they sent a barman up.. !! What he could do we had no idea. He was as puzzled as us why there was no hot water.
So again after more phoning to reception they gave us another room key to get a shower in that.
That room had a shower that worked but we could not regulate the temperature of it and it came out boiling hot..So the plumbing is atrocious in some of the rooms. !
The dinner we had was also very poor for choice. It was a carvery and there was a curry , fish or roast beef. The only vegetables were carrots and turnip together and roast potatoes. so if you didn't like them then you were stuck. The sweet wasn't much better either..lemon tart or a cake. . The price for this was $17.50 each for 3 courses ..we felt it was not worth it. But as we had prepaid with hotels4u we got a lower price so not as bad for us. (When we stayed there previously it had been waiter served and the meals were a lot better and filling)
The evening we spent in the bar was very dull but as it was an a very windy and cold night we didn't want to venture far .
The barman was missing a lot of the time so you could only get a drink served when he was there...The music in the bar/lounge area is a tape of various older tracks and it plays on and on and on in a sequence. it gets on your nerves in the end .Time to change it I think. .
The breakfast next morning was a lot better...again a help yourself affair but the choice was fine.
We used the pool and sauna whilst we were there and were surprised to find guests have to pay £2.50 each to use the facility and even get charge £1 per towel also. I would have thought guests should be allowed to use it for free.
So all in all there are many thing that need putting right in this hotel..(plumbing for one)...as this hotel has such a Victorian grand aura about it and the stairways and chandeliers are very grand indeed...it is a shame to see the place not being treated with respect and looked after as it should be.
The staff don't appear very concerned either about providing good customer care and most requests were met with a " why are you troubling me about this " look.
Perhaps further staff training should be on the agenda also .
Lastly, we noticed in the window that they were advertising for a Head Waiter, a Chef de parte and a Restaurant manager..so obviously this hotel is being run perhaps without the appropriate staff..so maybe that contributed towards the general feeling of a no care attitude..
We have stayed here a total of 4 times over the past 10 years and this time we noticed a marked reduction in the quality of our stay ..so much so that we will be hard pressed to visit again I think.
Such a shame

Room Tip: There are two lifts I think so not a problem for the less mobile. Sea views are worth it if you get...
3 Thank Janbilly32

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Impressive foyer with a magnificent 4 story atrium and grand staircase. A very comfortable lounge area and adjoining dining room, lovely you think, and then you notice the tacky notices plastered around offering meal and drinks deals. We sat down for a drink and I mentioned that it was like a Wetherspoons / Butlins hybrid, a few minutes later whilst perusing the gaudy 'snacks and lite (sic) bites' menu, I noticed that it is part of the Pontins chain.
There is no parking at the hotel, or even in the nearby streets.
Dinner on the evening was a buffet style affair offering cold starters, meat, fish and vegetarian courses and no dessert.
Breakfast was a different matter, I have absolutely no complaints with it.
We were asked what time we wished to dine and would have thought that there would be some food available, no! There was a tray with some beef fat in it some curled up dry fish and spoonful of dried up curry. There was no excuse and nowhere else to eat!
The heating is controlled by the hotel, so when we went to our room, it was freezing and no way of warming it up. That said, when the heating did come on, it was warm enough.
Would I stay here again? When Hell freezes over!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
2 Thank MartinF754
I am sorry to read that we haven’t met your expectations of the service we offer here at the hotel. We appreciate you taking the time to post your comments. Perhaps if you had given us the opportunity to discuss your comments and observations at the time, we could have had the opportunity to address them. We can only improve the service we offer by receiving both positive and constructive comments.

Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Stayed for one night in January at this Hotel for the past two years. Still plenty of Victorian charm and a good evening meal. Staff were all very approachable. Parking is the only problem. If you're lucky you can get on the carpark adjacent to the Grand for about £3 for 24 hrs. We weren't lucky, so we paid £10 for 24 hours at the Palm Court Hotel Carpark. We'll be back for at least 1 night in January next year.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple