“royal hotel”

Ranked #27 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Blackburn, England, United Kingdom
“royal hotel”
Reviewed 16 March 2014

this hotel is old dirty and needs repairing.the spa was dirty the hot tub and steam room broken.food was cold the staircase was very dangerous .I ordered a double room the bed couldn't have fit my dog In it......

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
10 Thank lucylumb
GM-Britannia, General Manager at Royal Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Thank you for your feedback, I was very sorry to learn that not everything went according to plan and at this stage can only apologise for any frustrations or upset caused. I will certainly address the issues raised as you should expect a certain standard and this was not delivered. I would like to assure you that this is certainly by no means our usual standard of quality or service, and I would hope this one off experience has not tainted your view of our hotel.

Please contact me personally when next staying at The Royal and I will do what I can to further enhance your stay.

Simon Powell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (766)
  • Polish first
Rhondda, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2014

My husband and I spent 4 nights stay at the Royal Hotel from Monday 10th to Friday 14th March 2014, as part of a coach holiday with Edwards Coaches. We didn't expect much, given the low cost of the holiday but we were pleasantly surprised. On arrival, we were greeted by the Manager, who explained all the arrangements for the meals, etc. before we booked into our room, which was much better than we could have imagined. We had a huge double room on the 4th floor [although to be honest, it was probably meant to be a family room, as we had a large double bed and two singles] a comfortable sofa and two armchairs. It was well furnished and clean and we even had a sea view from two of the windows. The bathroom was huge, with a generous walk-in shower, as well as a corner whirlpool bath [however, this didn't seem to be working]. There were plenty of toiletries provided - more than enough for our stay. Everything was clean and tidy. We had coffee/tea making facilities and a large, flat screen TV. The meals at the hotel were excellent, with a great choice for both breakfast and dinner. You just helped yourself to what you wanted and as much as you wanted. We certainly didn't go hungry during our stay! The location of the hotel is also very handy for the shops and the arcades but its a bit of a steep trek up and down to the promenade when the tramway isn't open [9.30am-4.45pm off season]. We did use it on one of the days that we stayed local and its only a couple of minutes ride down to the beach at 80p per trip [singles only, no return fares]. Still, it saved our feet. We were fortunate to have had a week of glorious sunshine, so we were lucky all around. This is definitely a holiday that I will remember for all the right reasons.

Room Tip: We booked a double room and had a large room on the 4th floor with a sea view, although we didn'...
7 Thank JoBenn47
Thank you for taking the time to comment on the hotel, we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Mitcham, surrey
Reviewed 13 March 2014

My wife and I stayed here on a Sunday night with a package deal of bed, breakfast, dinner and bottle of wine in a sea view room. This cost a total of £69.50. We had stayed in the hotel before so knew what to expect and we were not disappointed. In fact our room (307 on the 3rd floor) had a great view and was spotlessly clean with reasonable quality furniture. The room comes with wall mounted flat screen TV, tea and coffee making facilities, hairdryer, 2 easy chairs and plenty of toiletries. The room is a little quirky with a slightly sloping floor and the bathroom also has a slope. My only complaint about the room was bit of peeling ceiling paper and some mould around the shower. Our dinner was waiter served with 3 good courses and there were only 23 diners that evening. We had previously been told that Sunday night is very quiet - hence the good price! Breakfast on Monday was a buffet with all the usual suspects. The tea was undrinkable and the one toaster was incredibly overworked! But what beautiful, if slightly faded, grandeur and magnificent value for money. Evert member of staff we met was professional, friendly and efficient - especially the waiter at both dinner and breakfast who worked very hard.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are spacious and clean.
2 Thank DerekPMitcham

Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We stayed at the Royal hotel for 1 night sunday 9th march, 1st room we were given at check in smelled of smoke, I complained and we were moved straight away,
we were going to use the swimming pool just after we checked in only to be told that it would cost us £2.50 each and that the pool shut at 4pm,
got to say was not impressed by this
we had a good night sleep in a very big bed
and breakfast was a all you can eat with a very good choice,
location was right in the centre of Scarborough but parking was an issue
would still recommend but only because of the breakfast
yes it was dated but this added to the charm,

Room Tip: If you want to use the pool check opening times before you book
3 Thank John B

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2014

My husband and I stayed here for one night on 23 February 2014. My husband booked through Groupon and upgraded to a superior room with sea view. On arrival we were greeted with the sight of a breathtaking staircase but chose to go up to our 3rd floor room in the lift! The room was large, clean and well furnished with a large tv. The bathroom was clean and spacious and had a large bath with plenty of hot water.
I agree, the windows could do with cleaning but overall, this hotel is an old hotel which is part of its charm.
Staff were pleasant and dinner and breakfast, both buffet, were really satisfying with plenty of choice.
We would visit this hotel again, upgrading to a superior room. The only downside would be that there is no parking spaces around the hotel but the NCP around the corner offered value for money,

Room Tip: Upgrade to a superior room.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank judythompson251

lancs
Reviewed 6 March 2014

We went to this hotel for 3 nights over half term.firstly I can not fault the polite friendly staff but our room was awful.We had paid extra for an executive room and the lady on the phone said that it would have a jacuzzi bath and would be lovely as It was a treat for our daughters birthday. We arrived and was told where to go to our room. it was tiny, no jacuzzi bath and the decor was terrible. When I tried to switch the lights on nothing worked so I traipsed down to reception where they told me I had to jiggle with the key to get the lights to work. Said I wasn't happy with that and they got me another room, apparently we got upgraded to a suite. we arrived up a long step staircase where the handrail was wobbling precariously to a door which opened on to a long dark hallway leading onto a room with a sloping floor. the dining table in this room was filthy and the decor, was again, awful. We decided to go down to the pool area where we had paid £25 for the privilege. We entered the dirty pool, we could not go in the jacuzzi because it as closed and the sauna room was freezing. there was a sign on the door saying that for the whole of our stay the cost would be £12.50! I spoke to the concierge and he gave me the email of his manager but when I got home and called Britannia directly the number which he had given me did not exist! I have emailed customer service and 3 weeks later I have not heard back. I am very disappointed in their customer service department, but of course they are not bothered they have my £ 300 and I don't think I will be seeing any of that back do you?

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
11 Thank jellyandcustard
Please contact - admin738@britanniahotels.com - with your original complaint

Simon Powell

Travellers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Such a shame that the Britannia chain can let this once splendid hotel fall into such a poor state of repair. Advertisements for various jobs including head chef etc appear to indicate the low morale of staff. From our sea view room all we saw was a rusty fire escape, it was not particularly clean, dust under the bed and on the light fittings, curtains etc, unpleasant drain smells in the bathroom. The leisure pool etc need some serious attention. The public areas all need attention you could hardly see out of the windows they were so filthy, light bulbs out, curtains hanging off the rails, it's these little things that should be checked and rectified daily.

8 Thank Wesy_11
I am sorry to read that we haven’t met your expectations of the service we offer here at the hotel. We appreciate you taking the time to post your comments. Perhaps if you had given us the opportunity to discuss your comments and observations at the time, we could have had the opportunity to address them. We can only improve the service we offer by receiving both positive and constructive comments.