“please get a new toaster”

Royal Hotel Scarborough
Ranked #27 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Worksop, United Kingdom
“please get a new toaster”
Reviewed 2 April 2014

stayed here 3 nights from 21st March, room was clean and comfortable, but unfortunately view was brick wall and the windows definitely need cleaning, breakfast was good with the exception of cold coffee, and dishes/plates swimming with water, and the toaster has been non functioning correctly for more than long enough, also i stayed here a few years ago and swimming pool/sauna etc was free to guests, and they now charge to use these even though the jacuzzi has also been out of order for some time, chose this hotel for the benefit of being able to swim etc, but due to the albeit small charge decided not to use, so could have stayed elsewhere for a smaller fee without the facilities. Room was next to lift which was rather noisy

3 Thank cath104
GM-Britannia, General Manager at Royal Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Thank you for your feedback, I was very sorry to learn that not everything went according to plan and at this stage can only apologise for any frustrations or upset caused. I will certainly address the issues raised as you should expect a certain standard and this was not delivered. I would like to assure you that this is certainly by no means our usual standard of quality or service, and I would hope this one off experience has not tainted your view of our hotel.

Please contact me personally when next staying at The Royal and I will do what I can to further enhance your stay.

Simon Powell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (760)
  • Polish first
Southport UK
Reviewed 27 March 2014

When my father was a lad only the very rich could be seen in the Royal Hotel.
We had B+B for £69 it was a great experience. We paid £6-50 to park in the NCP car park next to Wilkos for 24 hours, they do shut the car park overnight. It is about 300 yards from the hotel and a downhill walk.
The location and past grandeur of this hotel is stunning especially the Titanic like lobby.
The room was warm and clean. Pleasant staff a nice crowd of fellow guests a good entertainer on Wednesday night.
Plenty for breakfast apart from cold coffee and shenanigans with a toaster
We had a big bed, everything worked in the room apart from the wifi but everything needed updating and redecorating.
The dilemma is if brass was put into this historic hotel would I be able to afford to stay here?

4 Thank Peter937
We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your recent stay. Thank you for your observations, these can only be used to improve the service we offer.

Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Initially was disappointed at the lack of nearby affordable parking but used the NCP facility in the town centre - must remember next time travel light - as was a fair walk away. The hotel itself could do with a refurbishment but our room was lovely and comfortable with massive en suite facility and flat screen tv. Although we looked around town we could not decide on where/what to eat so we stayed with the hotel and tried the restaurant on the first night and then bar meal for the second night of our stay.While the food was not fantastic it was palatable and the staff throughout were welcoming and attentive during our stay.We particularly enjoyed the self service breakfasts which helped set us up for the days we stayed.
We had our stay put into perspective when we bumped into couples we know back home in Newcastle who were staying for a similar amount of time in a hotel across the road and did not have a very good experience - when we looked in this hotel ourselves we immediately recognised we were staying in a nicer place. The only gripe was the parking - which looking at Scarborough would be hard to sort out because of the many hotels and lack of space and also the toast traffic jam at breakfast - perhaps the purchase of some more toasters would help.
All in all a very nice stay and we would come and stay again - thank you to all staff we met

Room Tip: make sure to ask for sea view
6 Thank mark t

Newcastle, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Please please please fix the toaster or by a new one. So frustrating having to put your toast through three times! I'm sure everyone and the staff agree will agree. Come on get your money out and invest in a new toaster.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Jonny C

Yorkshire
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I arrived and was checked in by the very welcoming Ed. I had booked a single room B&B and on arriving to my room (203) I got the lovely surprise that my room not only had a double bed but a partial sea view. The room was nicely decorated and very clean, with a huge flat screen tv, tea & coffee facilities, a trouser press and an iron, one of my biggest gripes about hotels is the lack of electric sockets especially by the bed, no complaints here as there were several double sockets around the room including near the bed!!!!
The bathroom was clean and well stocked with toiletries, my only gripe here was the shower head was covered in what looked like green limescale and didn't look very appealing, I stuck to having a bath!!!
The bed was a little hard for my liking (personal opinion) and I found it quite hard to get to sleep with all the noise from drinkers coming up from the pubs at the bottom of the road.

Breakfast is served in the light and airy dining room, there is a good choice of fruit, yoghurt, juices, cereals then a buffet style cooked breakfast. Two points here, you're asked as you come into the dining room whether you would like tea or coffee, when you choose the waitress takes a flask and places it on your table, now I like my tea made fresh and wasn't really impressed with this method, secondly you have to prepare your own toast on one of those roller toasters, not a problem generally but this machine only did one side of your toast at any one time so you had to put it through twice, and there were no tongs to handle the bread into the toaster.

Overall an enjoyable stay, it's just the small things that need a bit more attention to detail. :o)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank BlueyTwoShoes
Thank you for taking the time to comment on the hotel, we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Have stayed here in the past several years ago. Unfortunately this hotel is in urgent need of some TLC. The floors slope, the balustrades are rickety the corridors are tired and so is the dining room the whole place is in need of a complete refurbishment, not to mention a deep clean. Breakfast was ok although porridge was served in a cauldron with no lid on a table where people were queuing to use the toaster and breathing all over it. We had a superior room which was nicely furnished an amazing sea view and was nice and warm, the bathroom mirror was cracked and the light didn't work, the shower was also broken. The room was lovely and warm, but it could have been cleaner. The bathroom mirror was splashed when we arrived which suggested it hadn't been cleaned from the previous occupants. This has once been a very nice hotel in a great location with some amazing views and good facilities, it just needs to be updated. Staff were courteous and helpful and the food was average. My husband used the pool and said it was very good.

Room Tip: Book a superior room to achieve anything of a high standard.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Rose C
I am sorry to read that we haven’t met your expectations of the service we offer here at the hotel. We appreciate you taking the time to post your comments. Perhaps if you had given us the opportunity to discuss your comments and observations at the time, we could have had the opportunity to address them. We can only improve the service we offer by receiving both positive and constructive comments.

Simon Powell

Travellers are raving about these Scarborough hotels

Great Yarmouth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Stopped 2 nights at this hotel, booked sea-view room, if you stood on a wobbly chair and cranned your neck you could just about see it, complained and was moved to another room were I noticed the curtains were moving on inspection the windows did not fit had to stuff a towel in the gap to keep out the extremely cold wind of spring last year and the radiators were not working when we entered the room, in fact the whole hotel was cold, had to use the pub next door to warm up!!

Room Tip: Book in another hotel !!!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple